autowoman

Truck traffic on expressway a pain

Since when did they allow all commercial vehicles onto the Mumbai -Pune expressway??Not only do they belch obnoxious fumes...they are now all over the lanes slowing down travel time.Not to mention three lanes of trucks in front of you overtaking each other at 2kmph and for that overtake manouver spring into any lane without concern for fast moving cars behind them ..................extremely dangerous!!Besides one oil spill from them can be disaster.........has to stop!!

Yep, on my way down south it was quite bad on the expressway, not only that but slow ill maintained buses as well, I also saw cattle grazing on certain stretches and they need to improve the tunnel lighting specially at the entrance and exit points, you just go blind right away.

Trucks on the expressway cant be avoided because they have been built for commercial vehicles. The whole idea behind the Golden Quadrilateral is to speed up freight movement and lower running costs.  An effective highway driving training programme needs to be drawn up. I would suggest that a special license be issued for expressway driving which is only given after a stringent test is taken.

For that they will have to educate the truck drivers first and even if you do issue the liscense how many times have we seen the cop with his hand out to truckers..who will check that liscense?? Thats close to impossible...Im not saying all of them are bad. I think they should be made to stick to the extreme left lane and only move to middle for an overtake.

Extreme right lane off limits for all of them. Besides I had cattle amble across round a corner at Lonavla..is this what our beautiful Golden quadrilateral will be like??
FuelRunGod2007-08-18 21:44:27

The expressway was built with commercial traffic in mind. But yes, some of them need to be disciplined. But I havent had much issues with truckers whom ive noticed are much better behaved than tourist car drivers and private car drivers as well.

FRG
FuelRunGod2007-08-18 21:47:32

truckers have no choice. they cant afford to slow down or stop on a hill.so they HAVE to make that 24kph heroic overtaking manoeuvre.

tourist taxi drivers on the other hand are some of the cleverst people on earth. i sometimes wonder if they know something i dont. they must be, considering they stop to change a flat in the fast lane.

the barricades that prevent cattle and dogs and villagers from wandering onto the expway is rusted and broken. i almost ran into a man cycling down the fast lane in the wrong direction at night. something really has to be done, if we are to progress.

Agree with 325i

We need to take the process of issuing a license seriously

Something radical like having drivers update their license, the cost

of which can be setoff for lower fines, or something to that effect

This is urgently required; else we soon will have a knee jerk reaction, like the

one for drinking and driving that is currently taking place, or the imposing  a limit of 30 kmph on a bridge after a spate of accidents

The problem of pollution was tacked by an NGO in Delhi, and we are all the better for it. Its time someone does somethign about road safety and other allied stuff

All said and done.. trucks provide me with a great amount of entertainment on long drives...yes they tick you off and you just wanna blow em out of your way with a bazooka...but when your stuck behind (most) of them.. you see WE TWO.. OURS ONE.. etc etc written.. just brings a big silly grin to my face...

FRG - thats true buddy, as a matter of fact its more than that!

well, in my case, my car got hit by a truck just yesterday, nothing major, just a light brush from the side while I was standing still at a signal and this guy wanted to enter the small gap on the right, cosmetic damage that will cost me about 2k to fix, but its the first scratch on my car on 7 years (Ikon 1.6), and it hurts, hurts just as much as it did when a drunk lightless truck driver hit me head on when I was on the bike rendering me with injuries I cant even list here. My point is, there is NOTHING we can do, and nothing that is worth raising our bp over, because the system, the infrastructure, and the trucks, drivers, owners, are all a lost cause.

I did have half the mind to grind the living daylights out of him but i guess age sobers the best of us and I let him go with just a stern warning.

Id just say, accept it, live with it, more importantly, learn from it.

Of course if someone feels something can be done, let me know, I extend full support.

Recently driving Delhi - Agra - Etawah - Kanpur on NH2. I found that truckers would not budge from the RH lane till after Agra. On the Etawah - Kanpur section they are far more cooperative and orderly, moving to the left as soon as see an approaching car (or at least after you honk).

I an a regular on Kanpur - Etahwah on NH2 and Kanpur - Lucknow on NH25 (EW corridor). While on the former the truckers by and large behave, on the latter it is sheer bedlam. Cars overtaking indiscriminately from the left also contribute to the mayhem. cause or Effect?

What happens - do our road manners become worse the closer we are to a capital?

FRG - thanks buddy :-) unfortunately the colour is not available, even for touch up, because its old, soll just have to to rub and wax it out till I repaint the whole thing! (never selling, its my little baby, now injured little baby!)

sgiitk - well, Id say its pretty much the story across the sub continent (not just India even!) have lived here and there across the country and its the same old story everywhere, no tail lamps, no mud guards, high beams, nosiy, rattling death traps running more on booze than gasoline! sigh.

Road manners of course would include a lot of other drivers and riders too, at least the truck drivers can say they are illiterate and lead a tough life (it cant be fun driving those monsters 16 hours a day), but what about the white collared execs? the real estate biggies? the others? how many show road manners!

Unfortunately, its become fashionable to  become a public nuisance! I can understand your frustration, its quite pis*ing off I know!

Why I made the remark was that I was reminded of a comment of a colleague of mine. About 20 years ago, we were in Delhi trying to scrounge some money for a conference. Hailing recently come from the the deep south he was shaken by the traffic. His comment - This is the partition mentality, i.e., a situation where jungle law prevailed, and it was everyone for himself. Civility took a back seat.

Cause or Effect was a comment on road manners of all! Obviously if we overtake from the left the illiterate trucker cannot move to the left, or understand that you move to the left to be overtaken.

Another niggle - if a fellow is willing to be overtaken then why does he switch on his right blinker. In the rest of the world he blinks left (i.e., I am on stcking to the left and am ready to be overtaken).

In UAE on truck is allowed at peak hour but they are free at the night the toll in the day is 4 times the night.

You say that there is no toll at night ,so what do you mean when you say that peak hour travelling has four times the night toll.

4X free = FREE.

Please rephrase.

On the Chennai Bangalore Expressway i have noticed the truckers are pretty well behaved. They mostly stick to the left lane. Not the case with private and govt buses on the strtch. they dont budge from the fast lane at all.

One dangerous thing i have noticed is that unlike in other countries here on expressways drivers tend to stick to the fast lane when another vehicle is coming to overtake expecting the other vehicle to overtake from the left lane. Most drivers do that by default now. Problem comes when u want to follow rules and give way by moving to the left lane but the guy coming behind does not expect you to do that... :) Little risky. at high speeds.

expressways are designed and constrcuted for efficient goods movement in the country and to ban the trucks makes no sense. instead chargesheet the offenders with a hefty fine like 2 Lakh rupees or 3 years jail term, and the police should stop waiting at the signals to collect the cheap bribe from two wheelers and start working... they should patrol the highways. the attitude of police in our country must change a lot. or they will start to collect 1lakh bribe for a 2lakh fine.