akj53in

Toyota Altis VL Auto booked: Now Bought!

I was planning to buy a new car for the last few months. I wanted a sedan which would be powerful, comfortable, reliable, safe and should have the latest features. As my monthly run is only about 1000 Kms, so I did not want a diesel.

I had initially shortlisted Linea Petrol, Fiesta 1.6, ANHC and Civic. First of all we (myself and my wife) visited Linea showroom and took a TD. However we found the interior quality and space disappointing to our taste. Long throw gearbox, long travel clutch and small engine did not make up for driving pleasure. Although the car's body appeared to be solidly build and ride quality and suspension was brilliant, we regretfully decided against it.

On the way back we passed Toyota showroom and stopped to see the Altis. A young lad who appeared to be a fresher showed us the car. We saw it but did not take the test drive and left.

Next we visited Ford showroom and saw Fiesta. I had driven it long ago and had loved it as a driver's car, but this time found it rather cramped for our taste. Also Ford's poor service, poor resale value etc., also contributed to ruling it out.

Next time we visited Honda showroom. Saw the ANHC, felt it was a bare-bones car, stripped of even the bare essentials. No CD player, no engine temp meter, no padding on doors, no ACC and a cheap looking center console. The plus points were 4 years warranty and roadside assistance package plus of course the VTEC engine and the automatic transmission option. The sales person's attitude to the shortcoming was 'Sir Honda is Honda and people buy it without questions. I told him not me.

Civic is good on looks, a fabulous dashboard and of course a powerful engine. But the model is now 3 years old and due for a refresh, sorely lacking in features which are available in even cheaper cars. Low GC, Low ingress and egress, low fuel efficiency and of course poor troque at low speed make up a very poor package indeed. So we did not consider it and told the sales man accordingly. Got a nasty look and left without taking a TD.

Then the Toyota person started pesering us for a TD. OK he brought the car to our house and we took a short TD. The car was powerful, big and luxurious and everything felt good. It was a GL model so had most of the necessary features also. Still I was hesitating as I did not want to go over 10 lacs, due to our limited useage. During TD I told him how I had enjoyed driving my son's BMW Automatic in U.K.

He then requested me to take a TD of their Automatic also. After few days he brought the Automatic one. I took a long TD and found my self liking everything. Only the suspension did not feel very planted during fast cornering as it is tuned for a comfortable ride and not a sporty one.

Same evening the Honda person also brought the City Automatic. Took a long TD in that also but it was simply no match for Altis as an overall package.

So next day I booked Toyota Corolla Altis VL Automatic. I hope to get delivery next week and will post my first driving impressions after that.

akj53in2009-03-22 09:54:33

Congrats akj53in. Altis is indeed a very good car and vfm also.

How much is it costing you? Any deals or discounts?

Do post pics when you get the car

Congrats on buying the highest selling car in the world.

Also is the price hiked one or previous one?

rahul18102009-03-22 11:33:27

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes.

Yes I managed a good discount, as the car was the last one of 2008 production model. And from 1st April price is going up by 4%, so on a list price of 12,70,000/= it means nearly 50,000 increase. However no discounts on 2009 models till March end as prices are going up from April.

I will post the commercial details and photos after I get the delivery.

a very good decision sir....even i own a corolla and trust me you will never regret buying the corolla !!!! compared to civic,altis has many more features...the corolla has a nice and torquey engine which means that you can use the 4th gear even at speeds as low as 25 kmph without lugging the engine...so due to its good torque not many gear changes are required in the city...overall a very good decision !!!!

The choice between the Corolla & Civic is a highly personal one. Both are excellent products with great reputations and are very closely matched. You really cannot say that one is better than the other. If you are happy then you made the right choice, otherwise the grass on the other side of the fence is greener!

sgiitk2009-03-25 08:28:45

The choice between the Corolla & Civic is a highly personal one. Both are excellent products with great reputations and are very closely matched. You really cannot say that one is better than the other. If you are happy then you made the right choice' date=' otherwise the grass on the other side of the fence is greener!

[/quote'] Well true, Honda and Toyota have world class products and both have their USP's, its same like BMW, Merc and Audi, all their products have something unique and buy anything you will end up having good product just no comparision.

And AKj, congrats on your buy, good decision indeed, i like that car very much and which color you have booked..

Friends I took delivery of the car on Sunday. So far have driven only 60 kms and the initial impressions are very good. The car does not feel 'built to a price' like old Corolla and feels luxuurious. So far the points which I like are:

- Leather quality of seats is pretty good.
- Interior has soft touch plastic and other material quality is also very good.
- The seats are very comfortable and 8 way adjustable driver seat is one of the best which I have tried, provides a commanding view of the road.
- The auto tranny provides seamless shifts and does not hunt between shifts (unlike the ANHC autobox which I tried). Very good but Toyota should have provided 5 speed box.
- Very torquey engine even at slow speeds. Ideal for city driving. (Like Mehul has written - engine pulls cleanly in 4th gear even from 1100 rpm without feeling any load. Excellent drivability)
- Torque spread is linear and provide sustained acceleration at any speed.
- Auto climate control is very effective.
- Good HID lights with Automatic operation.

Will post a detailed review after 1st service at 1000 KM. After that service intervals are 10,000 kms which is good. Will also post pictures shortly.

The debate between Honda and Toyota is endless. Like sgiitk and bluesapphie has written, both are excellent products. However I found Civic lacking in the following areas:-

- Low stance means poor ingress and egress comfort.
- Low ground clearance
- Poor slow speed pickup - not ideal for city driving
- Current model now 3 years old, due for refresh.
- Lack of features as compared to Altis.
- Not VFM
- Customer satisafaction and ASS is better of Toyota.
- Less fuel efficiency.

Civic may appeal to a more performance oriented customer but I like my car to be an all round package.

I thank everybody for their good wishes.

congrats a.k.j sir...now just enjoy the fill it shut it and forget it kind of ownership expierience...yeah the new corolla looks better and more luxurious than the one which i own...infact the engine is so torquey that you dont require an automatic transmission !!!!

@akj53n: Congrats. this car is on my radar as well (asw is the Civic). The Toyota is better equipped but has a 4-speed box as against a 5-speed in the Honda. I will be interested in knowing your experience as well as the fuel consumption. The consumption figures make no sense until you have done 3000-5000km.

Mehul - yes Pearl white and Champagne gold were my 2nd and 3rd choice. I preferred Camary blue as Pearl white had become too common on Corolla and Champagne gold was a shade darker than what I would have liked. Camary blue is new to Altis, but now is selling quite a lot.

I will be delighted to get a 'Fill it, Shut it & Forget it' ownership experience like you have written and must have experienced with your Corolla. That's what the dealer's service people also told me.

'Aapke muhn me ghee shakkar'

Well yes, the pearl white, champagne gold and also maroon looks quite good on Corolla...Actually Corolla looks good in all color but certainly i dont prefer light bluish shades..And yes pearl white was too common on old corolla..To me maroon looks best followed by pearl white and gold...I have heard that Toyota is soon launching black color and i think it would suit the corolla..