Darshan Shroff

Transfer from Pune to Mumbai

Hi All,

I work in Pune and live here in a rented apartment. My family lives in Mumbai, which is my permanent address.

I am planning to buy a new car, and buying it from Pune saves me around 25grands (due to lesser taxes). The car will be used only in Mumbai.

Is there a problem if i buy the car from Pune (MH-16 number plate) and use it in Mumbai. What are the various formalities to be completed for such a transfer and how much do they cost. What other points do i need to keep in mind (car resale value lesser in Mumbai??)

Regards,
Darshan Shroff

Is the NOC easily availible from the RTO... because i have heard to obtain an NOC from the RTO, you first need to obtain an NOC from the bank giving loan... lastly how much does the NOC cost...

Are there any other charges octroi/insurance to be levied for the new city (mumbai)...

Regards,

Darshan

I don't think so any NOC is required..please correct me if i am worng..Because in chennai and in my office i have seen many vehicle which are out chennai reg and they are running as they are reg to Chennai.since car is going to be used in the same State ,so no issue ..

For the first year you can use the vehicle in Bombay without any paperwork. If you want to use it beyond then you have to pay the octroi tax. But the actual reality is that cops rarely stop an MH plate in Bombay. I have an 04 and 02 plate, no issues here.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-03-23 14:37:04

For the first year you can use the vehicle in Bombay without any paperwork. If you want to use it beyond then you have to pay the octroi tax. But the actual reality is that cops rarely stop an MH plate in Bombay. I have an 04 and 02 plate' date=' no issues here.

FRG
[/quote']

tell me why yoo always close threads where ppl or forum users are willing to share their reviews..  few examples are end phase of wift & now TATA NANO.......... r u administator of this forum or you find something illegal or unpostable in these discussions..........

hope for your +ve response.....

Threads are closed when their purpose has been achieved. Some duplicate threads need closing because it adds to the clutter, we would have topics in one thread rather than having them spread out in different threads. As far as possible we try to merge threads, but sometimes its too time consuming and software limitations mean that the new merged thread doesn't have the continuity which affects readability. This is the main reason why threads are closed. By the way, this isn't a place to discuss such things. If you want more inforamation, please PM me.

The end phase of Swift was a rumour and a wrong rumour at that. We don't want wrong information floating about the forum. The Nano thread was closed because the test drive thread is up. So all new discussions should continue in that thread. It will greatly add value since new buyers will want to know what other people think about the car and the most likely place they'll find that is a test drive thread.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-03-23 16:43:01

As far as i know u need NOC only when you change state.

Any way i can assure you that you will not face any problem at all driving a pune registered vehicle in entire maharashtra. Leagally you may need some documents but you can always tell them you are here jus for few days and that should easily keep you away from any trouble.

Hi All,

Thanks for the great response.

I have been told by everyone ( family friends..) that a Pune registered car wont do any harm if you driving in Mumbai.

But i was just wondering than then why would people buy cars from Mumbai in first Place.

Mumbai tax - 4.5%

Pune tax - 1.5%

Thane - 0%

There must be some reason as to why Mumbaites restrain from buying cars from Pune/Thane...

Regards,

Darshan Shroff

That's because they need address proof to buy from Thane/Pune. Earlier RTOs were lax about this rule and you could even buy without address proof. But now they've become quite strict and bogus addresses don't work anymore.

FRG

If you observe carefully on road you will find a lot of cars with MH 04 and MH 43 which means thane and vashi which is octroi less.. many of these cars are without adress proof also. As many 1st time buyers are scared to do these illeagal stuff they prefer going for Mumbai number or the vehicle is registered in company's name then mostly it is mumbai number.

I don't think so any NOC is?required..please correct me if i am worng..Because in chennai and in my office i have seen many vehicle which are out chennai reg and they are running as they are reg to Chennai.since car is going to be used in the same State ' date='so no issue ..[/quote']

NOC is required only when you move the car from one state to the other. In the same state there is no issue of NOC as the tax is paid to that state govt. If you take it out of the state to any other state then the tax for that state needs to be paid.

Hi All,

Thanks for the wonderful response. It really helps first time buyers like me.

I have inquired at various places and 90% of them have told me saying "You can use a Pune registered car in Mumbai without any issues. You dont need to get a NOC, or transfer at all. Its only needed when you move to a different state."

However some of the experiences users on this forum (vijay, FuelRunGood) have said that you need to get an NOC after one year OR you need to pay octrio charges after one year. Kindly confirm on this as the entire purpose of buying a car from Pune is defeated if i have to pay the octroi charges after one year.

Regards,

Darshan Shroff

Yes that is right. The law is that you pay taxes after one year. But like I said in reality, the cops have no way of telling how long the car has been in Bombay. It helps to keep recent toll receipts handy. It will prove that the car has entered the city recently.

FRG

Yes that is right. The law is that you pay taxes after one year. But like I said in reality' date=' the cops have no way of telling how long the car has been in Bombay. It helps to keep recent toll receipts handy. It will prove that the car has entered the city recently.

FRG
[/quote']

If you are working for a company or  govt also please keep a copy of the transfer order to show that you have come in only recently.