OM138

Beginners should buy a new or a used car

Another good option is small new funky car that is Spark-Muzic, its gives you pleasure of new car and available within 3-4 lakh.....so that after some time you can purchase a good brand new Suv Car. For more information you can visit www.chevyspark.in

There is no harm in buying a a well maintained used car, not having run more than 50,000 KMs. But problem is in ensuring that the car has been well maintained. In India even the so called 'Certified pre owned cars' are hardly properly checked for problems. But if you want to go for such a car, insist on a 6 month or a year's warranty.

A new car is the safest buy.

price wise Accent is best........... but if you are looking for overall package .. go with Honda....

if u can increase your budget try once mahindra XYLO.......

but i advice you please arrange a driver for first two months .. it will facilitate you to know your car completely..... & internal confidence will bost up in these two months...

best of luck for your purchase....

My parents are aged, so would prefer a Sedan.If i go for a new car, the only thing which comes in my mind is, being a learner, will i be able to drive it properly with out causing much harm to my car? The traffic in mumbai is very pathetic so will need to drive it very carefully.This may not be the case with a used one's.

dear friend that's why i m saying arrange a driver for two months... your case is similar to me... i did that in starting two months... but i  m feeling happy to tell in that two months i become a professional driver.....

smiley36.gifsmiley36.gifin short with the help of a driver i become a driver... smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

you are doing it for your family.. then go with XYLO bcoz it is spacious to accomodate whole family of 5 to 8

use this trick.....

1 arrange driver for two months

2 in these two months drive maximum on empty roads with the hepl of driver..

3 on saturday or sunday when u r free ... go to any traffic park or open space & drive ,drive & drive ..

4 u will see it is only a hesitation that will be removed magically in these two months.

use seat belts & be confident that u r a starter & ppl who start positive become successful easily.....smiley1.gifsmiley1.gif

if you want a sedan, and space is what matters to you, and you dont bother about anything else, i suggest you go for Logan but if the same with hatchback, go for AVEO UVA, it can only compete on basis of space, rest all is mediocre

Hi OM138,

If your budget is around 2 or 3 lakhs, I would hav suggested a used car. But for your budget , go for the Accent Exec as it comes fully loaded and you will get peppy cash discounts as hyundai is pushing its last lot of Accent.. Driving in Mumbai (Or any other city) traffic is not that tough as you think.. Main thing is , jus seek help from any of your friends who is good at driving and will be able to spend an hour with u everyday. Jus drive the car in free roads with your friend's assistance (Hav him in the co-driver seat). Gradually get used with the roads will less traffic and then in heavy traffic.

One major thing is, 'If you think, u will do'... I mean, I you drive the car with a fear of putting scratches or something, Sure u will do.. So, always drive with a cool attitude. Even if some minor scratches happens, you can do a minor tinkering after a year.. So dont worry about scratches and all. Jus go for the Accent and hav a friend with you aways till you gain confidence on your driving...

If you are not able to find such a friend, Then go and hire a driver and do the same procedure as everyone said. Important point is, You are hiring the driver to learn driving, So, you drive the car full and full with the driver assisting you. Good luck and drive safely..

Accent is a good choice. If you have your parent's in mind: the rear seat comfort is not that good, seat's are low and getting in and out for the elderly is not that easy. Give it a try with your folk's in you Hyundai dealership. My choice for a first timer would be a Santro: Comfort/easy to drive/FE/good service and comfortable ingress/egress for the elderly.

Palio, Accent, Getz, U-VA.

All these cars are great for beginners.  They will give you both the big car and small car feel. You wont have surprises, because none of them have very short turning radius

For 5-6 Lakhs range for a car I would suggest either a Getz or a I20 which gives you a lot of room. For sedans the Swift D'zire, Ford Ikon & Indigo is in this space. The Vista Quadrajet is a good option if you dont mind the Tatas.

The Bolero also falls into your budget.  I would avoid the Palio and the accent.

Forgot to add - go in for a new car if you can afford it - nothing like a thrill of a new car.  If a you are very worried about banging it up - go in for a certified used car - but keep it for a couple of years. For 5-6L you can look at good used Honda citys.

Thank you all for your valuable comments.I may think for hiring a driver for first few months.Is it worth to look for a Chevy sadan, knowing GM is going through a bad phase.If i am going for a new car, i won't mind to increase my budget by another lac, as its going to be for the comfort of my family.Can you ppl suggest me a good comfortable, fuel efficient sedan for around 7 lacs? My usage will not be more that 600 km/month.

Om,

Speding 5-6 lacs on a used car not a good idea.

With this budget it is always wise to go for a new car.

Now since you are a learner, The initial hesitation is natural.

I suggest.

Join a professional driving school, Take a 8 days course with a professional driver.

This will ease your tension and will give you so called offcial confidence to drive a  car .

With this on a later stage Drive in those places where you would likely to be visiting after u get your new car.

Early morning practice on empty roads.

Practicing on Uphill and curvy road, ghats etc will add up to your confidence

DO not Hesitate .... Have patience and go ahed drive confidently.

Get your Accent Executive its a very nice car and post us the picture with your driving stories !

Join a professional driving school' date=' Take a 8 days course with a professional driver.

This will ease your tension and will give you so called offcial confidence to drive a  car .

With this on a later stage Drive in those places where you would likely to be visiting after u get your new car.

Early morning practice on empty roads.

Practicing on Uphill and curvy road, ghats etc will add up to your confidence

DO not Hesitate .... Have patience and go ahead drive confidently.

Get your Accent Executive its a very nice car and post us the picture with your driving stories !
[/quote']

I totally agree with Bhalchandra.

Go to Professional Driving School and learn the driving from Professional Driver. This will definitely increase your confidence.

As for Accent, it may get phased out in near future. So resale may be a problem.

I would suggest Vista for you as the rear is not cramped unlike Swift.

Also the boot of Swift and Dzire is pain to reverse the car (Rear Visibility is limited). You can also have a look at Indigo CS.

For your 600km/month usage go ofr Vista Safire Petrol.

I would have suggested SX4 but will exceed the increased budget of yours (7lakhs).

SX4 ZXI is coming at 7.1 lakhs on road delhi with all the offers. Check out the mumbai prices. Else you can have a look at the VXi model. it will be in your budget and has all the features of accent and is a much newer car. I would have suggested linea, but still cant comment on A.S.S. while fiesta is costlier to maintain than SX4 and costs almost the same but is smaller in size. You may have a look at Logan though it doesnt look well but is really spacious and will be well within your budget.

My suggestion: Accent is getting old and market is flooded with options other than accent in 7 lakh bracket. So have a look at theese cars too

Well myself i am a beginner and we are planning to buy a car in a period of 3-4 months i am a student ... budget is not a problem can go till 5l  but the car will mainly be used till 1 year as we live outside India and later the use of car will limit to 2-3 months in a year so was thinking to keep a small car ..we live in himachal.So please help me in selecting a car as being a beginner not sure which car to go for and yes i would prefer a car that will not take a long long waiting period.

dude as u r a learner i will suggest you to  buy a second hand santro/zen/wagonr and clean ur hand at driving and when u r confident about ur driving skills then buy a new saloon car !!!!