OM138

Beginners should buy a new or a used car

Well myself i am a beginner and we are planning to buy a car in a period of 3-4 months i am a student ... budget is not a problem can go till 5l  but the car will mainly be used till 1 year as we live outside India and later the use of car will limit to 2-3 months in a year so was thinking to keep a small car ..we live in himachal.So please help me in selecting a car as being a beginner not sure which car to go for and yes i would prefer a car that will not take a long long waiting period.

Wait for the launch of Ritz. It will be launched in Mid May as whenever a maruti car is launched it causes a price war by the features on offer. If you dont like the car you can decide from indica vista or i10. Swift will have a waiting period.

and yes my dad also might use the car rarely but he is willing to buy a new one.

dear why having confusion.... go with  new one & arrange a driver for two months it will cost additional 8 to 10 thousand only , but if you purchase a old car now & try to sell it after 4 to 6 months its depreciation will be arround 50 thousand & its due to new models coming in next 3 to 4 months..

purchasing second hand car is easy than sell it again...

so remove the fear from your mind & go ahead with confidence & buy a new car.. as per your budget.. 5 to 6 lacs try i20, logan,

ford ikon 1.4 . if you can raise your budget by 50 thousand then check fiat linea or Mahindra xylo..

your father suggestion is smiley1.gifvery goodsmiley1.gif because he want to save your hard earned money.

Om, as other fellow members suggested you, initial hesitation is natural, dont worry onthat,  a driver if you want or a friend,relative would be helpful if you take them along your drives, and more driving would let you get confidence and ease.New car is always a better choice and quite good options available, what do you want a hatchback or sedan decide it, hatchbacks you have getz,uv-a,santro and i10.Sedans you have dzire petrol,accent,ikon, aveo.Get down to showrooms,test drive them and decide which one suits your needs and bill.CHEERS!!

Hey thanks for the reply i guess i will wait for ritz as mentioned by rahul1810 and even fiat grande punto but as i even mentioned the car will have major use for a year and as  we already own two cars outside india a mitsubishi galant and recently bought the toyota yaris we want to go for a smaller car in India due to even its limited use

if you can raise your budget by 50 thousand then check fiat linea or Mahindra xylo..

your father suggestion is smiley1.gifvery goodsmiley1.gif because he want to save your hard earned money.

Plus its my dad who will buy the car and not me as i am still a student.

Hi All, Last weekend I visited a dealer to see 3yr old Honda City zx.It ran around 30000Km and the deal will cost me somewhere around 5.2-5.5 lacs.The car seemed to be in good condition from the exterior.Whats all things should be consider while buying a used car?

Om,

Is the dealer providing you warranty on that used City? If yes and the warranty is of 1 year, then you can go for it since if any problem arises in future, you will be on a safer side.

As for exteriors, most of the dealers (even Private Sellers) make the Exterior of the car ATTRACTIVE so that they can quote more price on it.

But beware of the engine condition, interiors of the car,etc.

Hi Sudeep, No the dealer isn't giving any warranty, instead i can bring my mechanic and/or take the car to any of the Honda service center for checking the internal condition.But i do think, used car should have some warranty from the dealer.

Hi Sudeep' date=' No the dealer isn't giving any warranty, instead i can bring my mechanic and/or take the car to any of the Honda service center for checking the internal condition.But i do think, used car should have some warranty from the dealer.[/quote']

Spending 5-5.5 lacs on a used car without a warranty!! its like sucide

what are you getting by spending so much money ? HONDA brand name!

Insted go for I20 ASTA in that price with a little stretch, u will never regret !

Yes Om,

Please drop the idea of buying the used city since its not having any warranty.

If you buy that car and after 2-3 months, the car develops a problem you are left nowhere but middle of the road for assistance.

And i20 is good car. I have not personally driven or even seen the car but as others are saying it must be a good product.

And since its a Hyundai, ASS should be good (as per the members here). I don't believe there is Good ASS from any Manufacturer.

But would advise to go with i20 or Vista for Hatchback and Dzire or CS for Sedan.

sudeepd2009-03-30 11:50:33

If you really want a sedan then go for accent executive. It will have good A.S.S.

But if you dont have any problem with a hatchback go for i20. Its an excellent hatch and has all the features you could ever need and is extremely spacious.

Dont go for a used car if you can especially if you are not getting any warranty bcos if the devellops some problem the bargain will not seem as good as it looks now

Thanks all for the opinion, Now i am looking forward for buying a new car.Does it make sense to go for a fully loaded Sedan (with ABS, air bags etc) by paying some extra.I will be using my car mostly for city ride.

I20 is a very good car in hatch back segment, but my family wants me to buy a Sedan.

yeah, i think it kind of does make sense.

But if it is only for city use, dont go for the i20.

If you want a fully loaded sedan, check out the Linea Dynamic O or Emotion O petrol since diesel doesnt justify your use,

I personally feel that after learning one should experience traffic in a hatchback because of its easy manouverability than the sedans and then switch over to sedan after some years of experience. But thats my opinion and if you feel confident you should get a sedan. It definitely makes sense to go for  a fully loaded sedan than one that is not.

A lot depends on your budget when it comes to fully loaded sedan. You have a budget of 6 lakhs then you have the dzire zxi and logan glsx , if your budget is 7 lakhs then its either SX4 or linea, and if its 8 lakhs upwards go for city. Note that the dzire has almost the same space as that of swift hatchback while logan is far more spacious. I would suggest that you think in between SX4 and the linea and then decide. If you are not too concerned about the fiat brand linea petrol is the way to go

Hey man i would suggest u to go for the new Ford Ikon TDCi which is a very competent and superbly efficient entry level midsize car with the best rear seat in its class whereas the accent has a very low hip point and  entering and exiting the car is also  difficult for passengers due to less height. its also spacious and more fun to drive compared to the hyundai accent executive which has a lethargic 1.5 litre oldsschool engine while the ikon has the brilliant 1.4 litre common rail turbo diesel unit from the fiesta. the ikon will give 14.9km/pl(city), 19.km/pl(highway) and overall 17.5km/pl with 100% a/c on wheras the accent will give 7-8km/pl(city), 12km/pl(highway). pls the best factor is ford has reduced the cost of spares and maintainance by 30% thereby making the ikon tdci pocket friendly. even Ask Autocar Anything suggested me to go to ford ikon TDCi when i asked them which midsize car to go for Rs 6 lakhs. its better built than Accent which is an outdated sedan with a thirsty engine. the new ikon also looks far better than the previous model.plus its got a very responsive steering, sporty suspension. moreover the ikon tdci sells i greater numbers than accent executive because just 2  weeks after its launch it registered 2500 bookings..

@swiftvxi06

It is understandable that your car is excellent and you like it very much but he wants a car that would have safety features like airbags and abs, which for doesnt have. Even the accent has been ruled out. Pls read the previous posts before posting.

@bhushan

Welcome to the forum. Kinndly create a new thread

for your query as it is completely off topic of this thread

Hi Guys, I visited Maruti Suzuki showroom, Y'day and found Dzire was a good option in the medium car segment, but the concern is the waiting time.The dealer told the delivery time was around 1-2 months.Long waiting period is the major concern of many of the people opting for this car.Is it worth waiting for few months to buy it, As if i book it now, i may get the delivery around June, when the Monsoon arives.Being a new learner, will it be good to start my initial driving in the rainy season?

@Om

You can start initial driving in the rainy season but be careful while driving over water covered roads since most of them hide the potholes under them.

As you will be beginner so you will be driving slowly until you get confidence. So don't worry if you start in rainy season, but if get chance on dry roads first, it will be the icing on the cake.