prab1990

apache Fi problem

hi guys! i had purchased my apache Fi in sep 08. it had that pikup missing problem but could not get it rectified as the service center guys didnt know nething about it. Today when i was  coming back home from college my bike stalled 3-4 times. whenever i cross speed of 60-65 or 5500-6000 rpm the bike turns off. it makes a sound like that of when u release throttle and when i tried to give more throttle , there was no responsesmiley7.gif. it hapened 3-4 times. and bike had severe pikup prob b/w 2000-3000 rpm and usually at slow speeds. so this meant that i cudnt drive slow or fast i had 2 drive @ 30-45 kmph all the time.pikup lag felt like petrol was getting blocked and bike also used to give jerks  sometime. i took it to the service center(CPL autos okhla, new delhi) they said there might be some prob with the fuel pump and it isnt covered under warrantysmiley19.gif. hw much will fuel pump cost if it has to be replaced?. i want to rectify this pikup prob permanently so plz suggst me some good service center in delhi for this. the bike had this pikup prob from day 1 as i learnt how to ride bike in this bike, i earlier thought i wasnt riding properly but later i read about this problem in orkut but i had an accident in december and was @ home for3 months. after that i gave bike for service and told them to rectify this. this prob disaapeared for 2 days but reappered later and after 1 month this incident happened. the bike is currently with the service center . plz tell me can i claim warranty and some good service center to rectify this problem. plz help me guys.

This problem is due to bad fuel quality. Change the Petrol Pump and see if the problem vanishes.

Also the Fuel Pump of all the Vehicles is covered under warranty be it Car or Bike.

You should get the Fuel Pump Replaced if changing the Petrol Pump does not help and that too under warranty.

EDIT:

You should get warranty on your Apache Fuel Pump.

If you don't get warranty, contact TVS Motor Company and if that too does not help, contact the local press journalist.
sudeepd2009-03-31 15:48:30

I pity you prabhat... no i mean if u buy a bike mainly known for its straight line acceleration and u get a sh*tty bike along with accidents, it's high time you throw that junk aside. Nothing personal, but its pretty pathetic what happened to you. Stick to Japenese Products, Indians will never match japenese quality and relability ever.

thanx for the replies guys. the prob regarding warranty has been solved. i called up the service center yesterday and they told me that the fuel pump will be replaced under warranty. they said it will take 7 days for the part to arrive.

Congrats brother. Now i'd like to suggest somethin. While theyr'e fittin the new fuel pump, make sure you stand next to the mechanics, and find out what was the problem with the old one. Also start using Speed petrol for your bike (no questions asked about it being good) or SHell if its available in Delhi. Ride the bike immediatley after fixing the part and check for any problems.

And lastly, don't let the Service guys keep the old fuel pump. They might claim that they require it since you've replaced the old in warranty, but usually they just sell it off later w/o actually lookin to see what the problem was...

Prabhat is your bike okay now??

i just went through this thread,and i dont think

if the fuel pump goes dumped so early.

If it works now then its good or

this could be an Air Intake problem.

please reply soonest possible.

Few days back even my friend has the same problem in his pulsar. I tried resolving the problem,,but couldn't.

So after so much of trials,i finally found a cloth kept underneath its Seat. pulsar has the Air intake inlet overthere and this piece of cloth was blocking it.

So it had problem of reachin higher speeds and jerking on higher speeds(as if running outta fuel).

See in SI engines,there goes a specific AF ratio into the cylinder bore.

and to be specific,O2 has its share of around 5th part of the total air intake. So when its lacks the air intake,on low RPM it may take it and work well but while you accelerate,it needs optimum air volume and thus it restricts higher speeds due to incomplete combustion of fuel.

Also start using Speed petrol for your bike (no questions asked about it being good) or SHell if its available in Delhi. Ride the bike immediatley after fixing the part and check for any problems.

I would recommend Xtra Premium of IOC as I am using it in Pulsar 180 DTS-i (LCD) and the performance has improved compared to Speed Petrol.

Xtra Premium in Delhi must be 93 Octane since it is Metro city. In our Solapur it is 91 since it is Euro2 (I guess) City.

Don't know exactly about the Octane Rating of Speed in Delhi. In Solapur it is 87 Octane.

And lastly' date=' don't let the Service guys keep the old fuel pump. They might claim that they require it since you've replaced the old in warranty, but usually they just sell it off later w/o actually lookin to see what the problem was...[/quote']

When any part is replaced under warranty, the old part becomes property of the Company and the customer cannot take it with him home.

If the FP is replaced under warranty, it will become property of Company (TVS in this case) and the Dealer will return it to the TVS Company.

Air intake problem?? explain...

I guess karan is referring this to Clogged Air Filter Element. Right Karan?

@Prabhat

As advised by Karan, you can get the AFE cleaned and check whether the problem still persists.

Also do you feel the problem only at speed of 60-65 kph or even at 90-100kph?

If you do feel it even at 90-100kph , then it could be clogged AFE.

If you dont then it is FP to be blamed. 

EDIT 1:

I have read on www.cybersteering.com long ago that if the bike gives jerks at above certain speed (may be above 50-60kph) then the problem could be a clogged Fuel Tank Breather hole.

At high speeds, the engine needs more fuel to keep momentum. If the Breather hole present in Fuel Tank lid is clogged, the fuel supply to the engine will not be sufficient (as the air cannot enter the tank). So the vehicle gives jerks.

Get the breather hole cleaned too.

EDIT 2:

Sorry Karan, I did not refresh the page before posting. Hence posted the same as your regarding the air intake.

sudeepd2009-04-09 12:37:18

hi all. thanx for the replies. @sudeepd  the prob is not at any specific speed it is there irrespective of the speed and usually between 2000-3000RPM..and i think this isnt an air intake prob .. as far as i have heard this prob is common in many apache Fi. I called the service center today and they said that part will take another 4-5 days. they said delay is being caused due to year ending  and Tvs wasnt releasing new parts due to year ending and accounts settlement and TVS has started releasing parts only yesterday.

@vr.46- i wont be able to keep the fuel pump due to reasons stated above by sudeepd

No worries mate. Hope all goes well. BTW i heard Apache Fi has a real time mileage indicator like the TVS flame.... If u have it can u tell us how it works..oh and also the 0-60 timer function... is it accurate.?

@vr.46- apache Fi does not have real time mileage indicator. and i havent yet tested the 0-60 timer as i rarely get open roads to do so and i am a very sedate rider. and as i told earlier my bike was nearing the end of runing in period when accident occured. therefore i cudnt test 0-60 indicator before that and i have become xtra cautious after the accident. i was always a sedate rider but i have become even more cautious now as u cant trust other motorists and pedestrians.but as far as i have heard. the 0-60 timer is accurate

@ sudeepd..yeah thats again a problem.."the clogging".

but its in pulsar..,n thats due to the reason when its kept slant (on side stand) for much time...,n that too i summers.

The fuel vaporises and increases pressure inside fuel tank.

also the float chamber in carburettor works no more with slanting..(and there the Fuel injection takes an advantage).

So while riding a pulsar you have to open the tank inlet for few seconds and close it.it take the air in and releases the vapor pressure.

Well what I am talking about was the air intake.

The Air intake which the carburettor sucks...,n then mixes with fuel.