sanzgod

Which second hand car for 1 - 1.5lakh

Hi Guys,

I am totally new to 4 wheeler drive & planing to go for a used car in the price range of 1 - 1.5 lakh. Earlier i planned to go for ALTO & heard that a one year old alto's engine is not good when compared with others.

I am planning to keep the vehicle for a year r two then go for a new one.

A friend of mine suggested to go for Indica, Need suggestion.

Kindly help me out.

Sanzz

Depends whether you need a hatch or a sedan. These days very good sedans too are available for Rs 1.5 L.

The Maruti Esteem is quite a reliable car though its discontinued.It delivers about 12 kmpl.

Another good car in the hatch form is the Zen that delivers about 14 kmpl.This car has also been discontinued.

You can also get a 2004/5 Wagon R for that amount.

Then comes the Alto and later the 800. All these Maruti cars are the best sellers in the used car market and are in great demand by buyers who seek budget cars. The Alto engine has no complaints and is an excellent performer.

Maruti True value (for second hand cars) offers a warranty too. Also Mahindra's outlets (for second hand cars) offer second hand cars of all makes under warranty. Buying from such outlets gets you a car thats been checked and offers VFM.

Even the Hyundai cars like the Santro are very good  for second hand car buyers.

As a rule within that budget you must stick to Maruti or Hyundai.

Do not go for used Tata cars as these drop in value like a pack of cards and sell at cheap rates in the second hand  market.Repairs may be costly if the car has been misused.  Reselling them may pose problems as you say you want to go for a new one soon.

Depends whether you need a hatch or a sedan. These days very good sedans too are available for Rs 1.5 L.
The Maruti Esteem is quite a reliable car though its discontinued.It delivers about 12 kmpl.
Another good car in the hatch form is the Zen that delivers about 14 kmpl.This car has also been discontinued.
You can also get a 2004/5 Wagon R for that amount.
Then comes the Alto and later the 800. All these Maruti cars are the best sellers in the used car market and are in great demand by buyers who seek budget cars. The Alto engine has no complaints and is an excellent performer.
Maruti True value (for second hand cars) offers a warranty too. Also Mahindra's outlets (for second hand cars) offer second hand cars of all makes under warranty. Buying from such outlets gets you a car thats been checked and offers VFM.
Even the Hyundai cars like the Santro are very good  for second hand car buyers.
As a rule within that budget you must stick to Maruti or Hyundai.
Do not go for used Tata cars as these drop in value like a pack of cards and sell at cheap rates in the second hand  market.Repairs may be costly if the car has been misused.  Reselling them may pose problems as you say you want to go for a new one soon.

thanks for the suggestions friends!!

actually a dealer offered me two cars from fiat.

1. Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX, 2002 model with 85k kms run : 1.65 nego

2. Fiat Siena, 2002 model, with 54k kms run : 1.25 nego

can i think abt these deals r just blindly go for maruthi??

I need a car with comfortable sitting, so esteem can be considered & dont think we can get a Esteem for 1.5lakh.....

sanzgod2009-04-07 10:28:38

For now only go for Maruti or hyundai, say Santro, Alto, Esteem or Accent or any other from them..

Dont get yourself Tata's and Fiat's, my uncle is a Auto consultant and sometime back he got an offer to buy 2palios for 1.2lacs, i dont know any details of those cars but he told me that one car has many scratches and dents while other one was in decent condition, 1.65 is pretty expensive for a palio i guess until its 1.6...

Get yourself a Maruti or a Hyundai, nothing else...

yes i agree with bluesapphire...a 2002 palio at 1.65 is damn expensive...and fiat after sales service is a issue...its improving but still not with par as that of hyundai or maruti..

i guess you should try the hyundai santro as the car is very good and its maintenace is very cheap...n one advice if you go in a hunt for a hyundai santro..just check the exhaust and listen to it while driving...hyundai exhausts gets very noisy soon if not maintained well

yes i agree with bluesapphire...a 2002 palio at 1.65 is damn expensive...and fiat after sales service is a issue...its improving but still not with par as that of hyundai or maruti..

i guess you should try the hyundai santro as the car is very good and its maintenace is very cheap...n one advice if you go in a hunt for a hyundai santro..just check the exhaust and listen to it while driving...hyundai exhausts gets very noisy soon if not maintained well

Thanks for your inputs!!

i havent thought about going for a santro(dont knw why smiley12.gif )... will check with few dealers & try a santro. But i guess i cant get a santro below 1.5lakh.

Lets see...
sanzgod2009-04-07 11:36:09

As you are new to driving a car, I would suggest you refrain from buying a Palio as it's visbility is quite poor. Also it would be tough for you to drive the car in the city. You should buy a small car from Maruti like the Alto/Zen/Wagon R.

Steer clear of the fiats/tatas like everyone's said.

You being a newbie should best stick with maruti or hyundai.

Best options for you would be : esteem/wagon-r/santro.

would'nt recommend the alto/m800 as they are too basic and cramped !

1.5lks is a very big budget when it comes to second hand cars. You will get Brilliant Zens for that much money. Also, You will most definately get an Esteem for that much!

1.5lks is a very big budget when it comes to second hand cars. You will get Brilliant Zens for that much money. Also' date=' You will most definately get an Esteem for that much![/quote']

Oh u mean!! i might get a nice santro in my budget... i have checked few cars at carwale.com. ther are few good deals at a near by car dealer(neptune motors) so will check this weekend.

is it better to go to truevalue r other dealer??

so, how did you find these Neptune Motors guys.

how r the deals?

did you find your dream car?

tell us something about the deal... even I was sort of thinking visiting them this weekend.

You can get very good Santros in your budgets. The prices in carwale.com is quoted higher. I had bought a 2003 SANTRO zipdrive from a Hyundai Dealer at Kolkata. The car felt like a new one, giving mileage more than 15KPL and 17-18KPL at highways, though it is advised that you should take an expert with you to this Shops. They did giave me a very old Battery, which I had to changed with a new one.

Stay away from used high mileage FIAT's; your best bet would be a Maruti. Best would be to go for a 'not very old' hatch. It would be much better than a 'very old' sedan. For that money you can go for an Alto, 800 or Zen, in good condition. The sedan's for that money may first have to visit a garage before you really get to drive it and may not be that dependable.

I agree with DD, a running hatch is better than a limping Sedan. San, try to look for a car in your company's internal website (classifieds) if you know what i am talking about.

According to me the best bet would be a Zen not high on mileage, or you can also get your hands on a Santro.

All the best. Do a thorough research bro!

I agree with DD' date=' a running hatch is better than a limping Sedan. San, try to look for a car in your company's internal website (classifieds) if you know what i am talking about.
According to me the best bet would be a Zen not high on mileage, or you can also get your hands on a Santro.
All the best. Do a thorough research bro!
[/quote']

bro!! i searched in our internal website & bloody no one is ready to sell a nice car in hyd smiley36.gif.....

the fiats which im talking abt are from that internal website!!

Last week i checked a 2005 Zen Lxi, which is in a good condition!! 45k kms run & he is quoting very high for that!! 1.7L. is this a good deal??

but the problem is I DONT want to spend more than 1.5(may be this sounds stupid!!) on any used car....

sanzgod2009-04-27 06:49:54

is it better to go to truevalue r other dealer??

The true value prices would be 10-15k higher than the market but would give you tremendous peace of mind. Else, if you could find a genuine used car from any one you know, even if you spend 10k on repairs you get a new-like car.

[

Hi there, with the country under moderate recession, the used car prices have fallen to an all time low and you will surely get a good deal for 1.5 Lacs provided you know to bargain with the dealer or owner.

If you are a first time car buyer then i suggest that you stay away from TATA, FIAT, FORD and GM.

In my opinion trust Maruti and Hyundai at this stage. If you are looking out for a sedan, then?from the Maruti stable you can get a 2003 Esteem for as little as 1.5 to 1.70 Lacs. Superb car for this price. From Hyundai you can get an Accent in the same price bracket.

If you are looking for a hatch-back, then Wagon R, Santro, Zen or Alto are decent alternatives. In my opinion Wagon R or Santro are the best in hatchbacksEasy to learn and maintain, just pick up a good vehicle and get it home.?CYRUS432009-09-12 06:03:45

folks, im in the same dilemma too. I'm thinking of getting a second hand car for my wife, who is just learning to drive..my budget is a maximum of 1 lakh, since it is only for my wife to learn and get the hang of driving..may be we will sell it after a 2 years and get something better..i would want something with a power sttering as u turns are very common in bangalore..i'm thinking of a Matiz or a palio or a zen..ideally we would have liked to buy the 800, but it does not come with power steering, so thats a turn off..Zens with powere steering cost more than 1.5..so i'm not sure if i can afford that for now..

@ sujith: For your information, the Palio is one of the worst cars for taking a U turn. Though it has power steering, its turning radius is pathetically big. And it is also a tough car to drive for beginners as its front visibility is poor.

Sujith

You can try the Daewoo Matiz.

A 2003 costs around 75,000 given it has worse resale value.

Or you may try a 2002 Fiat Siena or Petra. You can have one for around 1.05 to 1.15 lakhs.

i came across a used matiz--2001 model, the dealer is quoting 1 lakh..its a fully loaded version with all power windows, central locking, reasr wash wipe etc..i have asked him for 80k...lets c!