karanshah1701

skoda superb petrol or diesel????

i m planning to buy a luxury segment sedan with my budget of 20lac..i didnt like sonata transform nither the accord. my 1st preference is diesel , but the diesel superb is 3lac expensive than the petrol. so i am confused between the petrol or diesel. and how is the petrol superb's report and review.. pls write into me n help me out..

thank you

Well, though I haven't test driven either, but Diesel  makes more sense thesedays.

Keep in mind the resale of diesel shall be good, whereas Petrol shall see a steep fall.
speed2009-04-13 10:35:03

@ karan

if u would have told your daily running it would have been helpfull

if u are going for an superb diesel it will be a great choice because it has an good FE and the resale value of skoda petrol cars are BAD , very BAD .

the skoda petrol is smooth , if u can describe but skoda's are known for their diesel engines , if u can tell your monthly running it will helpfull to understand your requirement

Go for the TSI petrol, it's absolutely fabulous and efficient as well. In fact it is a class leader in FE. Diesel is not tested as yet but it wont be bad. It may not be fun to drive as it uses the same engine as in the Audi A4 Tdi and is focused mainly on efficiency. I say go for the TSI as it offers you fun to drive, pleasure to be chauffeured and also good efficiency. Nothing can be commented on the resale value currently but skoda cars manage to hold their value well.

i drove my friend's superb (petrol) last week. its got a turbocharged 1.8l petrol engine but if you drive it in the "S" mode , you'll feel that you are driving a 3.0L petrol engine ! fantastic acceleration ! the features list is unending ! the best part i loved was how the headlights automatically adjust with the load in the car and the change of steering.

the ride and handling is not great though !

overall amazing ! my friend's reported a mileage b/w 8-9 in city .  

yup diesel makes more sense but again the price of diesel car is again 3 lac more and in the same price i can drive 70' date='000km more in the petrol car//......[/quote']

and thinking that the petrol rate are going to be standing at Rs 45 is asking bit to much , u will earn the 3 lakh rs back when u sell the car .

an 2002-2003 skoda petrol octavia is sold to the dealer for as low as 1.9 lakhs 

i drove my friend's superb (petrol) last week. its got a turbocharged 1.8l petrol engine but if you drive it in the "S" mode ' date=' you'll feel that you are driving a 3.0L petrol engine ! fantastic acceleration ! the features list is unending ! the best part i loved was how the headlights automatically adjust with the load in the car and the change of steering.

the ride and handling is not great though !

overall amazing ! my friend's reported a mileage b/w 8-9 in city .  
[/quote']

well that gr8 what u told me ..even  tested the petrol it is very fast n quick..and wid the 7speed auto transmission its just amazing....the only prob is on the mileage....but still i will b savin 3 lacs than on the diesel

thanks sarabjeet..

well my monthly commute would b around 2 - 3 thousand

go for the diesel man , u'll save on your petrol bills , u can recover the additional 3 lakhs rs on the fuel bill if u plan to use it for 5 years or so

yup diesel makes more sense but again the price of diesel car is again 3 lac more and in the same price i can drive 70' date='000km more in the petrol car//......[/quote']

and thinking that the petrol rate are going to be standing at Rs 45 is asking bit to much , u will earn the 3 lakh rs back when u sell the car .

an 2002-2003 skoda petrol octavia is sold to the dealer for as low as 1.9 lakhs 

thats true... but again i m planing to use the car for next 5 years.. and aslo over that time after 6 years used car market would b horrible.....isnt it????

thanks sarabjeet..

well my monthly commute would b around 2 - 3 thousand

go for the diesel man ' date=' u'll save on your petrol bills , u can recover the additional 3 lakhs rs on the fuel bill if u plan to use it for 5 years or so
[/quote']

yup u talkin sense.... will need to think on it again... thanks buddy

well do your calculations cause 3 lakh premium of diesel over petrol is simply too much and even if you do 3000 kms a month still the economics will be favouring the petrol....so you should buy the 1.8 tsi and save 3 lakhs !!!!

It is not only the cost difference of 3 lacs. The interest on this 3 lacs for atleast 5 years have also tobe added to the cost. So even at 12% per anum simple interest for 5 years amounts to 60% of the principal = 1.8 lacs. So the total cost difference becomes 4.8 lacs. This is at simple interest, but normally wise people double their money in 5 years, so the cost difference may work out as great at 6 lacs.

Now on a normal running of 20000 kms per year, a car will run for 1 lac kms in 5 years. the fuel bill will be as follows:-

KMS         KMPL X RATE

1,00,000 / 10  x 40 = 4,00,000  for petrol

1,00,000 / 13 x 30 =  2.30,769 for diesel

savings                   =  1,69,230 against an investment of 4.8 lacs.

Even a taxi operator may not be able to recover this much money over 5 years.

So a diesel does not not make any sense for saving money.

For your monthly running diesel makes sense and you will be able to recover the money since you plan to keep it for atleast 5 years.

Also it will have better resale than the petrol.

It is not only the cost difference of 3 lacs. The interest on this 3 lacs for atleast 5 years have also tobe added to the cost. So even at 12% per anum simple interest for 5 years amounts to 60% of the principal = 1.8 lacs. So the total cost difference becomes 4.8 lacs. This is at simple interest' date=' but normally wise people double their money in 5 years, so the cost difference may work out as great at 6 lacs.

Now on a normal running of 20000 kms per year, a car will run for 1 lac kms in 5 years. the fuel bill will be as follows:-

KMS         KMPL X RATE

1,00,000 / 10  x 40 = 4,00,000  for petrol

1,00,000 / 13 x 30 =  2.30,769 for diesel

savings                   =  1,69,230 against an investment of 4.8 lacs.

Even a taxi operator may not be able to recover this much money over 5 years.

So a diesel does not not make any sense for saving money.

[/quote']

well well welll.....!!!!

thanks buddy that was n excellent calculation u made which makes sence... even i had work out the like this before so i think petrol makes more sence for me .......thanks will inform the performance of the petrol as i but one

yes no one leaving tanmay will be able to recover the additional 3 lakhs spent  on buying a diesel superb...i think tanmay is quiet weak in mathematics and thats why hasn't understood the calculations shown by akj sir.

diesel cars are priced at a premium than petrol cars so if their resale is 10 % more than their petrol variants then its not to say that diesel has better re-sale value because your cost of buying a diesel car has been more than the petrol !!!!

yes no one leaving tanmay will be able to recover the additional 3 lakhs spent  on buying a diesel superb...i think tanmay is quiet weak in mathematics and thats why hasn't understood the calculations shown by akj sir.

diesel cars are priced at a premium than petrol cars so if their resale is 10 % more than their petrol variants then its not to say that diesel has better re-sale value because your cost of buying a diesel car has been more than the petrol !!!!

rite mehul.... with all the calculations and the reviews... it makes lot of sense to buy the petrol than the diesel.....

which color again???????