karanshah1701

skoda superb petrol or diesel????

Mehul has rightly pointed that diesels have higher resale value because their purchase value was more. The true parameter of resale value should be taken 'as a percentage of retained value' over a period of time and not as an amount. 

Karanshah : Colour choice should be a personal decision. Best would be to take your family along and see all the available colours and then decide.

But do keep us informed of developments.

It is not only the cost difference of 3 lacs. The interest on this 3 lacs for atleast 5 years have also tobe added to the cost. So even at 12% per anum simple interest for 5 years amounts to 60% of the principal = 1.8 lacs. So the total cost difference becomes 4.8 lacs. This is at simple interest' date=' but normally wise people double their money in 5 years, so the cost difference may work out as great at 6 lacs.

Now on a normal running of 20000 kms per year, a car will run for 1 lac kms in 5 years. the fuel bill will be as follows:-

KMS         KMPL X RATE

1,00,000 / 10  x 40 = 4,00,000  for petrol

1,00,000 / 13 x 30 =  2.30,769 for diesel

savings                   =  1,69,230 against an investment of 4.8 lacs.

Even a taxi operator may not be able to recover this much money over 5 years.

So a diesel does not not make any sense for saving money.

[/quote']

petrol at 40 sounds to unrealistic my friend , wait till after the election it will touch 50 again , it is 45 rs per ltr right now .

the saving of 1,69,230 will all go down the drain when the guy sells his car after 5 years. it is a fact that skoda petrol have a bad resale value , ask any present skoda petrol car owner , they just do not sell , even the dealers are scared to buying the car as they do not have much second hand buyers and plus the expense parts add to the missery .

a petrol skoda superb giving an FE of 10 is expecting too much from the car , remember the TSI is taken out from the audi A4 and has been put on an heavier car . 7 km/pl is what users have indicated in city and 10 on highway on the petrol version while the diesel offers 11km/pl to 15km/pl

leaving along the FE figures at time of selling the vehical , the diesel version would fetch ATLEAST 2,00,000 rs more than the petrol version

Mehul has rightly pointed that diesels have higher resale value because their purchase value was more. The true parameter of resale value should be taken 'as a percentage of retained value' over a period of time and not as an amount.?

?

Karanshah : Colour choice should be a personal decision. Best would be to take your family along and see all the available colours and then decide.

?

But do keep us informed of developments.

But i guess, diesel has lower percentage of depreciation than Petrol.

@ CC

the depreciation chart only plays a small part in knowing the cost of an seccond hand car , the other factors are companies service back-up , price or spare parts , reliablity of the car , FE etc

for eg  the depreciation on an swift diesel would be less than on an palio diesel

Let's face it Karan; the choices in diesel that you have are, Sonata Transform CRDI MT/AT, Laura DSG L&K, VW Jetta Diesel. All other's will be above 20 lakh's. The VW Passat is around 28 lakhs otr, I think.

Petrol then lots of avenue's open like the Accord 2.4, Skoda Superb, Camry and the Teana. Accord 3.5 V6 will be around 30 lakhs otr and is a guzzler.

Or if you want an SUV then you have the CR-V, Outlander, Endeavour, Pajero.

Whew what a choice of ride's for 20 lakh's, choice is your's; be sure to TD before you buy. Enjoy!

Well if you don't mind a second hand buy, you also consider a used C220 CDI, but it would be a veritable minefield to maintain/service<a wallet buster>.

Durango Dude2009-04-14 08:22:20

Sarabjeet: I have done a sample calculation. Prices of petrol / diesel, milage and monthly run have to be adjusted for individual calculation.

Prices of petrol = Rs. 40.62 and Diesel = Rs. 30.86 as per IOCL website.

what color skoda superb would b the best deal....??????

has anyone seen the car on the road...?????

and which is the better color to buy.....

white' date='blace,maroon (alike), new grey,lite golden.....
[/quote'] I have seen one white and 2black and grey is only available in V6 model..

Black looks best, white isnt that great and german cars usually looks best in black, go for it..

And @Akj, in my city petrol is priced at 43.66 Rs., i dont know about diesel, may be in delhi its 40.86 due to less taxes...

@ mehul : I had not seen the calculation made by akj and i gave my opinion because i have seen the resale value of petrol Octavia and i am not the only one who suggested the diesel.

It's fine you gave your opinion about going for petrol but i don't need your certificate on whether i am strong or weak in mathematics.

You should perhaps mind your own business and give your opinion only on the topic.

@ mehul : I had not seen the calculation made by akj and i gave my opinion because i have seen the resale value of petrol Octavia and i am not the only one who suggested the diesel.
It's fine you gave your opinion about going for petrol but i don't need your certificate on whether i am strong or weak in mathematics.
You should perhaps mind your own business and give your opinion only on the topic.

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

I know that you posted almost simultaneously with my calculation.

we should all be friends here

so cool down please, both of you and  smiley1.gif

we need to add one more aspect maintainance...skoda's diesel are really heavy on pocket while its petrol models are not that heavy on pocket....but the 3 lakhs price difference is irecovarable and in indian conditions people tend to buy off their cars after doing a maximum of 1-1.25 lakh kms !!!!

thanks sarabjeet..

well my monthly commute would b around 2 - 3 thousand

3000kms a month is 36,000 kms a year. Then there's no question about it, you must take the diesel. Your running is quite a lot so it will save you a good amount.

Moreover, I like the torquey feeling that diesels give. And once you know that your running cost is so low, you are more carefree while driving.

diesel engines have edge over the petrol ones....n skoda is known for its diesel capabilities...and considering your average running,diesel is a must for you.

the price difference of 3 lacs is a bit more but not much....even in entry level diesel hatchback Swift, there is a price difference of almost 1 lac..!!

people here are talking like both engines comes @ same price ...if not 3 lacs..the difference would be around 2.5 lacs...so one can't back out for rs 50k while investing more than 20 lacs...

go for the diesel bro..you won't regret smiley1.gif .and the resale will be much higher than its petrol counterpart!!