riz123

Inputs on buying first car

I am planning to buy my first car, but confused whether I should go for Hatchback or Sedan. 

I am currently looking for petrol car (preferably with AT) with adequate seating capacity for 5 adults + safetly features like dual airbags. My budget is around 6 to 10 lacs.

Would Sedan (ANHC/SX4) be really a problem while driving in traffic or while parking/reversing (in city like Pune) as compared to hatchback car (i10)? Anything you feel pros and cons on the two types? Also tell me should I choose automatic or manual gears. What more features/specs should I look for?

I am comparing Hyundai i10 (AT), Honda City (AT) and Maruti SX4 (MT). Appreciate your inputs. Please as well suggest any other cars that I should consider.

Thanks.

Hi Riz & welcome to the forum.

Honda City AT is the best of the lot, if you can afford, choose it!

Otherwise, if your running is more, you coluld try the Verna Diesel Automatic.

i10's dimensions are very small when compared to a sedan. Yes driving and manouevering will be easier in i10 but you will get used to City's dimension in a short while. So in the long term that shouldnt be a problem. I would suggest that you go for Honda city AT.

But if you are still apprehensive about a sedan wait for Honda jazz, it might come with an automatic gearbox.

i10 is definitely better to drive in traffic than City or SX4. But 5 persons can't be seated comfortably in i10. It is difficult to compare these cars, as they belong to different segments. It all depends on your requirements. If you can afford, go for ANHC, if you need mileage, then Verna AT.

why dont you have a look @ premium hatch..i20..?it has all the features of SX4 and ANHC and bit more then them and being a hatch its easy to drive in city conditions.. also it is comfy for 5 adults..only missing thing is A/T gearbox..

First of all i would like to ask what are your requirements like

whether the car be driven by you or chauffered

how much kms u would drive in a month

what would like in a car like space ,comfort and fuel efficiency etc..

how long you would keep the car and resale value is a top priority

i would suggest if you have such a budget then you should go for honda city..its the best car in that segment..although i10 would be perfect to drive in the city ...but with the honda city you would get the hang of it after a few drives

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Ankit,

Car will not be chauffered, I will be driving it

I dont expect than 1000 km/month.

I am not that worried about FE, but space should be enough for 5 adults to sit comfortably

I am not worried about resale value either as I will be keeping the car for long term

I am more inclined to ANHC. And almost everyone has suggested the same. I personally like the arrowshot form of the ANHC.

Should I consider ANHC MT or AT? for AT I will have to shell out extra 80-90k. Would that be worth?

However, as suggested by flAsh, If I forego AT, I guess i20 does makes more of sense as it comes with features like ACC, side airbags, Alloys.

you can never go wrong with the ANHC. its way ahead of its rivals. the ride and handling is great.

manual/auto option depends on you. if you wanna ease your driving , then you could go in for the auto (at the cost of FE ofcourse) ... 

The i20/fabia should be a great choice for you if its a hatch you are looking at. The fabia has features but you'll have to shell out a huge amount if you want them. The i20 is less expensive on the pocket and comes loaded with features which you would generally find only in D segment sedans...

Go for the Honda City' date=' You can afford it and its the best car available in the market right now!

[/quote']

I am not in full agreement with your statement.

The final fit and finish of the City leaves a lot to be desired.

Lets face it Honda to introduce the 2009 City in the Indian market with similar pricing levels has been stressed on the build front, if you don't care for the small things you can think of it, but it's like you know you are paying only for the design, engine, the name and the space. the rest is average. The Fiat Liena is far far ahead when compared on a whole

Go for the Honda City' date=' You can afford it and its the best car available in the market right now!

[/quote'] 
but it's like you know you are paying only for the design, engine, the name and the space. the rest is average.

if you agree that you are paying for the design,engine,name and space ... what else comes under the "rest" ? guess you are talking about the poor quality of interiors ?

The Fiat Liena is far far ahead when compared on a whole.

i hope you have actually "driven" both the cars before making the statement !

[/quote'] 
but it's like you know you are paying only for the design, engine, the name and the space. the rest is average.

if you agree that you are paying for the design,engine,name and space ... what else comes under the "rest" ? guess you are talking about the poor quality of interiors ?

Yup! I hope he has driven both these cars!! :) We always pay for the design,engine,name and space. Interiors are an added advantage and i dont think Hondas can be blamed for Interiors!!

Just to enlighten you with the specifications of Linea and ANHC

Linea:

1.4L (DOHC) 4 cylinder,16 valve

Power(ps) 90/6000
Torque 115/4500

Honda City:

1.5L (SOHC) 4 cylinder,16valve I-VTEC

Power(ps) 118/6600
Torque 146 @ 4800

[/quote']? but it's like you know you are paying only for the design, engine, the name and the space. the rest is average.

?

?

?

Even without driving these cars just compare them head to head visually will give you the answer. The Devil lies in the details my man!!

NHC is a good choice but do u need boot all the time??also,

inside of the car doesn't makes it feel that its 8lacs+ ...Resale will be good but would u like to compromise quality and features for it??personally..i felt quality of i10's interior to be as same as NHC.....!! smiley3.gif

[/quote']  but it's like you know you are paying only for the design, engine, the name and the space. the rest is average.

Even without driving these cars just compare them head to head visually will give you the answer. The Devil lies in the details my man!!

forget the devil and the details ! my question still stands ! have you driven both the cars before making the statement ? i think no ... so drive both the cars and try to have "an opinion of yours" .   

Yes!! otherwise I would not have been able to form a opinion!!! TO be fair to Honda they have good engines but like some one said their cars are like sewing machines, smooth, efficient, but lack the attitude and character which for some makes cars DEAR things of desire!!!

Here in India Honda has taken the Indian customer way too much for granted.

talking about the details, check the wheel wells on the Honda, under the door stills, the quality of tooling is evident from that. The end metal corners in these areas have wrinkles and weild spots, not expected in a 9 lac car.

May be i am nit picking but these are my views.