Crazy cat

Can engine of a car bought seperately?

This might sound strange. I heard of people swapping engines in their car. Starting from Amby to Zen, i've heard of it. My doubt is, can these engines can be bought easily by normal person? Like say 1.3mjd. If so please tell the process.

@Cyrus, If it is to be bought from the scrap dealer, is there a way to find the condition of the engine?

@Speed, Can sales manager of a dealer be helpful in getting the engine?

@DD, I never knew that Amby had Traveller engine. As far as i know it had Matador engine and isuzu engine(second hand or imported

guys i have also heard as crazy cat said that people using Maruti Esteem's brilliant 1.3 litre 85 bhp engine in their Maruti Zen and some people using Baleno's 1.6litre engine in their Esteems. Even in Autocar performance shows i have read in Autocar about these Zens with Esteem engines....!!!! how come they get these engines???

Guys,

You can buy new engines from dealers but they will prove to be really expensive as they are not generally sold as engines and you have to buy most of the parts separately What most people do is buy the engines from scrap yards and overhaul/rebuild them + modify them further cost of which is still far cheaper than buying a new one from a company.

Viper

Easiest part is the "bigger" heart transplant; what about the "anchor" transplant. Viz 0-100 kmph is easy; what about 100kmph-0. One will require bigger brake disc's/drum's, and also ABS, to give 'confidence inspiring' performance.

Besides junk yards, you can get engines & gearboxes (and other spares) from accidental cars - approach a service manager and get info of vehicles being scrapped by insurance companies.

Besides this, you can also get half engines and have them assembled.

FYI, there's a company in the UK (and also in the US & Gulf) which buys accidental supercars from insurance companies, restores them and sells them at rock bottom prices!! Its a business opportunity!
Kinshuk2009-04-14 08:29:29

The engine for the car can be bought seperately, it will have to be indented through the dealer to the manufacturer.

However You cannot indent for a Esteem engine if your car is a Zen. The chassis no of the car and other details are required.

Other renowned garages can also indent engines.

However the full engine is not a fast moving spare hence it will take time for the manufacturer to manufacture and sell the engine to you.

I had a problem with my Suzuki Access engine there was a flaw in the aluminum casing causing a minor contineous oil leak, the dealer indented for a fresh engine and the same was rebolted on to my scooter.

If there is an issue with your engine and you get a new one, that is a different matter. But if you have say a Maruti product, and you go to hinda saying you need an engine that goes intoa city/civic, tec. no one will entertain you. Again, there are a few loopholes in it, like speed mentioned, if you have contacts, you might be able to get an engine, but again that is an extremely rare case.