suvadeep24

Problem with Pulsar 220

Hi,

I own a Pulsar 220 which is 1 year 2 months and done 8500 km.

I am facing a power problem with it and also the ideal rpm..which fluctuating and sometimes the engine shuts...

The power problem which I am facing is like the engine is not getting the amount of fuel required to produce the torque..

I already have changed the petrol filter and adjusted the CO..

I have changed the OEM spark plug with NGK Iridium IX of equivalent heat range..

But of no use..

Please suggest me a way to solve the problem...

Suvadeep,

Congrats for your 220.

Do you face power problem at all speeds, within particular speed range or above particular speed?

As for shutting down,What rpm does the Tachometer show? Also does your 220 shut down at only cold startsor even when the engine is warm (hot)?

Replacement of Spark Plugs does not make much difference.

From Spark Plugs I remember, get the spark plugs gap checked and adjust to the BAL Recommendation (I guess 0.7-0.8mm).

You said you have got the CO adjusted. But I guess, MPFI Engines don't require much adjustments. I own 180 DTS-i with LCD Speedometer which has crossed 11,425+kms. Recently I checked the PUC which was found to be 0.244%. 180 is Carb and 220 is MPFI. So I guess there is no need to adjust the CO in 220 and that too so early (8,500kms).

Please carry out what I mentioned above and let us know the details for further advice.

Sudeep.

Thanks Sudeepd,

I face the power problem during the initial and in midrange, the bike feels like it's not getting the right amount of fuel...The rpm is adjusted to 1300...The engine shut off problem is evident in cold start and sometimes in warm also..

Spark plug gap adjusted...

Bro don't know about 180, but 220 has a major CO problem, if not adjusted ur bike will never pass the pollution test...In my case it went as high as 7% whereas the pass limit is 3.5%...Company's recommendation of CO level is 2.0 to 2.5%..

thanx Anijog but my question was different. I asked the FI in 220 is MPFI or SPFI??

Karan' date=' it has to be SPFI since 220 has single Cylinder. MPFI is for Multi-Cylinders as the name suggests.

Karan you did not answer my query regarding Oil Strainer. I have sent it again just now. Please tell more about it.

220 has a major CO problem, if not adjusted ur bike will never pass the

pollution test...In my case it went as high as 7% whereas the pass

limit is 3.5%...Company's recommendation of CO level is 2.0 to 2.5%..

OMG. This is Disgusting. A FI Pulsar 220 emitting more CO than Carb 180.

When I recently got the CO levels of my 180 DTS-i (LCD) checked at PUC

Centre it was 0.244% and that too after travelling 11,400+kms and I

service the Bike myself at Home. I don't trust BASC (Bajaj Authorised

Service Centre) for service. I just buy Spare Parts from them.

I would advise you to carry out as mentioned below-

1.Clean the Air filter with Petrol and after complete cleaning, apply

some oil on the Filter. Applying oil will make the filteration better.

But dont apply it much. Just a little bit which traps the dust and dirt.

2. Please use Xtra Premium Petrol Only. If your city has Speed 93, use it else use Xtra Premium.

3. Please check whether the breather hole is free from clog. This will

ensure proper feeding of petrol to engine. The Breather hole is present

in Fuel Tank through it air enters as fuel moves down to engine.

You mentioned

I face the power problem during the

initial and in midrange

. Please check the Exhaustec Part fitted

below the Engine. If its faulty, Low end and mid range torque is

suffered.

Carry out above checks and then come back here again and post what difference did you notice.

Do check what all Sudeepd asked to. Go through them all and even then if the problem persists.

You can check your muffler inside the silencer tube.

That has catalysts which prevent the harmful gases move out in mass.

Suvadeep, you have not replied afterward. Has your problem solved?

You mentioned that the low and mid range response of your 220 is less. At what speeds do you shift gears? What is the corresponding rpm while shifting?

Please reply soon.

Not really...see the thing is you don't want to shift gears at 9000+ rpm...sometimes you what to cruise at 50kmph and that point of time when you shift gears at 3000 to 4000 rpm is feels a bit loss power...anyways i have changed the engine oil to power 1 and the throttle response has improved somewhat... the engine feels a bit smoother with less knocking in low rpm...

Ultimately I have to retune my bike...lets see what can be done..

Anyways thanks for help bro...

You should have used Castrol Activ Xtra 20W50 instead of Power 1 (15W40)and Power 1 Racing (10W40).

Also you mentioned that the CO is more in 220.

Can you tell me what was the colour of Spark Plug when you opened last time?

If it was Dry Black or Wet Black then you should get the ECU tuned since Black Deposits means Rich Mixture which leads to more CO.