Haritaswam

Tinted glass with windshield top band

The front windshield tinted glass sometimes has a green band which is about 6 inch high and is on the top side of windscreen. This is to protect from harsh sun glare and works as a additional sun screen. This is normally found in expensive cars. My Toyota Altis has this and is very useful.

My Elantra also has this but it's useless in our summer's, it's meant to block off UV ray's, but that doesn't prevent the heat and glare getting to you. I always have both my sunvisor's down to keep the sun from dazzling me, especially in the evening. Also use your Ray-Ban's to prevent premature 'cataract' development.Durango Dude2009-04-14 08:34:03

It is just a additional sentence in the car's equipment list.

People who are aware will know that it means little.

All cars today with laminated windscreens except for the 800 and the Nano? have the top windscreen tinted.

No Great Shakes this.

Even with this the windsheild needs a tinted screen like V KOOL or others specifically meant for windscreens.

Thanks. Even also the glasses are tinted it is very much difficult to seat and drive in summer afternoon. Is there any remedy to avoid the sun glare or control the sunglare without breaking any traffic rule (As in most part fully black tinted glass is not allowed).

You can get the sun film from VKool, Garware, etc. and get it on the window glass. There are various option like 50% UV Block, 70% UV Block, 95-99%UV Block, etc. You can opt for the 95-99% on Side and Rear Window Glasses and could go 50% for Front Windshield provided that the Shade of the Sunfilm is light in colour rather than dark. The light colour will get you out of the cops and the UV Block can also be had at the same time.

But light shades have one disadvantage- No privacy.

But this disadvantage can also act as Advantage- If any thief tried to break in your car, he can be spotted through light shades.

Ok , thanks , now I am thinking for 3M. I will install it when i next visit the service centre. Apart from this can you please suggest anything to keep the interier cool. I think seat cover has a important role here so please suggest what kind of seat cover should be used so that the interier of the car will somhow cool.

Ok ' date=' thanks , now I am thinking for 3M. I will install it when i next visit the service centre.[/quote']

You are Welcome. But I would advise to get the sunfilm work done from local Accessory Shop. You enquire about the prices in 3-4 LAS and get back to us. We will guide you further.

Service Centre will charge you more (may be 1.5 to 2 times more than LAS).

Apart from this can you please suggest anything to keep the interier cool. I think seat cover has a important role here so please suggest what kind of seat cover should be used so that the interier of the car will somhow cool.

For this also you enquire about the types of seat covers available, their quality, materials, etc and get back here for further guidance.

Tinted glasses in automobiles are usually made by sandwiching a sun screen film between two layers of glasses. Quality of sun screen film used, depends on the price of car. So in expensive cars, all the issues like UV and glare protection are taken care by the tinted glass and no additional film is needed.

I dont remember ever seeing any premium cars like Rolls, Bentley,  Merc, Audi or BMW etc., with additonal sun film in UK or even in Dubai where sun light is very harsh.

I dont face any such problem even in my Altis. Even my Toyota dealer said that no need for a sun film sir, for this car.

Tinted glasses in automobiles are usually made by sandwiching a sun screen film between two layers of glasses. Quality of sun screen film used' date=' depends on the price of car. So in expensive cars, all the issues like UV and glare protection are taken care by the tinted glass and no additional film is needed.

?

I dont remember ever seeing any premium cars like Rolls, Bentley, ?Merc, Audi or BMW etc., with additonal sun film in UK or even in Dubai where sun light is very harsh.

?

I dont face any such problem even in my Altis. Even my Toyota dealer said that no need for a sun film sir, for this car.

?

?

?

?
[/quote']

Slight correction needed here. The lamination process calls for a layer of plastic sandwitched between 2 glass layers. It is not for the tint, it is for safety. The difference between safety glass and laminated glass is this.

Safety glass will shatter in to small pieces, while laminated glass will crack but stay in place.

anijog2009-04-16 13:02:52

It is the other way round man!!! Laminated glasses are more expensive, hence the 800 has safety glass at the front, no idea about the NANO, but seems it will have safety glass too.

It is not the other way round as I am talking about modern cars and not 20 years old models like 800.

Cheapest and most dangerous are plain glass like M800 as you said.

Then comes plain lamindated ones

Then comes tinted glasses, but not all tinted ones are equal. They also have many qualitites. - jitna gur daaloge, utna meetha hoga

Ok ' date=' thanks , now I am thinking for 3M. I will install it when i next visit the service centre. Apart from this can you please suggest anything to keep the interier cool. I think seat cover has a important role here so please suggest what kind of seat cover should be used so that the interier of the car will somhow cool.[/quote']

3M, Garware and VKool offer front and rear windscreen sunfilms that cost upto Rs 3-7K each. these are transparent, block UV rays and are very effective for summers.They have evasive looks and one just cannot identify that the car has such sunfilms.

You can try to explore these in the market, get feedbacks and decide.