amolathalye

Why my car swayed on express way ?

Hi all ,

I was driving my new fiesta 1.6 sxi ( not more than 1000 kms on odo) on the mumbai pune expressway at appx.150 kms /hr. , everything was ok and all of sudden it swayed right to left and then left to right by few inches , i missed my heartbit as it was out of my control , i urgently took my foot off the accelerator and it was ok , all this happnede very fast but  i wonder what must have happened , is there any issue with my car or 150 kms / hr is too fast for fiesta ?

regrads

amol

Please check the Tyre Pressure in all four tyres and keep to the Ford Recommended Pressure.

Check the Tyre Pressure when they are cold. The Weather should be Cool and the car should have not been run. The Best time to check will be in Early Morning before starting your journey.

Check whether the Wheel nuts are properly tightened or not.

I dont think there is Wheel Balancing Problem since your car swayed and not vibrated.

check tyre pressure as suggested by other members. if that doesnt solve the problem then do wheel balancing of all wheels. Ford cars dont generally suffer from stability problems because they make perfect driver's car with special emphasis on handling and body control. they can be driven hard and spiritedly especially the superbly comfy yet sporty ford fiesta 1.6 S and ford ikon tdci......

A one off incident may not be a problem with the car itself. Probably just a road irregularity - driving over an uneven surface at high speeds can cause instability.

also could be buffeting by a gust of wind or a lorry passing by.

We have had this problem in my old Armada once. Suddenly the car swayed right. The only explanation was a gust of wind, as there was a lot of dust being kicked around on that stretch. Road irregularity can also be an issue. Especially if your tire is on one of those dividing lines between two slabs of concrete

You're a brave man to do 150 in a Fiesta. It's a fairly light car so at that speed the crosswinds can cause the swaying. I've experienced it quite a few times on the expressway in smaller cars and at times even in my corolla. The cars immune to this swaying are skoda and the mercs and bimmers. These cars are solidly built and specially designed to handle such speeds without any problems.

The Mumbai Pune expressway does not have very new painted lines, and they are bad especially in the rains.

were you driving in the rains?

If so and since you were at top speed of the car the tires could have aquaplaned, maybe it was a puddle of water which may have been left around by the NHAI guys watering the plants on the median.

Other possibility is that the cement surface has developed cracks especially on the center and the right track and your car tires have tramlined on them.

If it was on those infamous turns near Kandala and Lonavla then you were on the Bitumen road which has formed lumps at some places and you may have gone over them.

Nothing with the car, i guess!

what brave ya ? i was just " nadan " i guess. I have my ikon as first car which i guess is heavier or more stable. I had full faith in ford cars for it's stability but now yes as you have pointed out,  even i think 150 kms is too much for fiesta. Thank you very much for cautioning me , have a nice and safe drive all your life brother !

regards

amol  

what brave ya ? i was just " nadan " i guess. I have my ikon as first car which i guess is heavier or more stable. I had full faith in ford cars for it's stability but now yes as you have pointed out,  even i think 150 kms is too much for fiesta. Thank you very much for cautioning me , have a nice and safe drive all your life brother !

regards

amol  

You're a brave man to do 150 in a Fiesta. It's a fairly light car so at that speed the crosswinds can cause the swaying. I've experienced it quite a few times on the expressway in smaller cars and at times even in my corolla. The cars immune to this swaying are skoda and the mercs and bimmers. These cars are solidly built and specially designed to handle such speeds without any problems.

Strong Cross wind's or road irregularity, could be the cause. But if it's road irregularity then you will get feed back from the tyre noise change. If such thing happen's in the future, slow down and stop your car get off and check the tyre's. Are you sure that you didn't run over a dog or something?