brokenconcept

At 80 bhp is the I20 that seriously underpowered?

You guys have put me in a major dilemma. I currently own a maruti 800 and was looking to upgrade to the i20 which i almost instantly fell in love with. It was spacious, feature packed, nicely built and a long cherished dream come true for a long time small car owner like me who was waiting ages for this upgrade. Suddenly all reviews (including those inside this forum) give me the hiccups by stating that this car though excellent is "underpowered". I am not exactly looking for a lean mean racing machine, but also i would not want a car without any power. I have heard from the overdrive review that the i20 performs better than the fabia?? If thats true why then call only the i20 "underpowered"? Why these double standards? And another question.. Is being underpowered only a relative term compared to cars in its category like the swift or is it (god forbid) even more "underpowered" than the i10s and the wagonrs?? Will i be able to overtake the smaller hatches on the highway if not the swift? And most importantly should I cancel my booking if it is "underpowered"?? Thanks..      

I feel i20 should do its duties perfectly for you. The issue of underpower is only for those who have had a taste of much more power. In your case upgrading from 800 so you wont get that feeling.

Yes power is a relative term. i10kappa and i20 share the same engine so i10 might be quicker cos of less weight though i dont think wagon r will be up for competition.

So dont worry and no need to cancel the booking, rest assured you have gone for a great car.

Post the pics when you get the carrahul18102009-04-14 18:09:36

Though I haven't test driven i20, but after reading various reviews & hearing customers experiences, I can state that the present 1.2L engine is not a natural fit for the i20. You'll fell comfortable, but lack of outright performance will take away the excitement.

In the month of Maruti would be launching a new car - Ritz, with a new K series 1.2L engine. This car should not feel underpowered.

Hi brokenconcept,

looks like we are in a similar dilemma. I too have a Maruti 800 AC and am looking to upgrade. Got really confused between the Swift ZXI and the I20 Asta. Test drove the I20 too and it did feel a bit sluggish when I wanted to overtake in the third gear.

However i20 is still the car that excites me, looks and equipment considered. Would have loved to have a 1.3 or 1.4 L engine under the hood but does not seem possible too soon. So looks like its the i20 for me.

Swift is a fantastic car none the less, but the looks seem a bit uninspiring apart from the fact that every 5th car seems to be a Swift.

Good luck with your choice.

Hey rahul thanks for reinforcing my belief in the i20. Yet, why is it that when the fabia was launched no one criticized it for being underpowered. If i'm correct, the i20 performs better than fabia. Also, how is it that the i20 beats the i10 in terms of top speed, acceleration and has almost equal FE when both share the same 1.2 kappa? And thirdly, how does the i20 do when compared to the 75 bhp swift diesel?

@speed: thanks but i dont think I would go in for the ritz as it is a segment below the i20 and i doubt it would have half as many features.

@anindyab: great! I opted for the asta too in the sleek silver colour. Whats your choice of colour and how long is the waiting period in your city?

i20 is perfect, if you are graduating from the 800 it's sure to sweep you off your feet. Fabia, according to many is 'above' criticism for it's 'German' and i20 come's in for all the criticism for it's 'Korean', how ever much Hyundai may try to please with excellent sale's, reliability,service...it will get hounded by Indian's being taken for a ride by the soo called German build, for which you may have to break a vault to maintain. Go ahead you are on right track.

Well go for i20, its excellent car..

Nowadays everyday i am able to see new i20 so it means that delivery is started in full swing, i have seen Berry red, White, Silver, Grey and Beige although i am yet to see black and blue..

Biege looks very bad and same goes with grey in i20..

Berry red, silver and white are best and i like red and silver than white..

But most of the i20's i have seen are white/silver magna's...They look quite big and stylish especially from front..

@durango dude: thats true. Both hyundai and skoda are great brands. Hyundai is one of the largest automakers in the world and skoda symbolizes class and perfection. Yet, that is no reason for indian consumers to treat hyundai like a second class brand.

@anindyab: good decision. I liked the berry red colour too. Though i felt the car looks bigger and more spacious in lighter colours.   

@bluesapphire: yes black and blue dont seem very nice on the i20. Dont know why.. But they look great on the i10

PS: could someone please try answer the queries i had posted in my previous post.

As compared to the Swift in terms of performance, I think the i20 is on Oar. The Swift is a little underpowered and sluggish, agreed...But then, Most new cars are. You would be able to out accelerate a Swift in a well Maintained Zen(not estilo!!!). This is mainly because of the Power to Weight ratio issue that most new cars face.

CYRUS432009-04-15 08:18:13

You guys have put me in a major dilemma. I currently own a maruti 800 and was looking to upgrade to the i20 which i almost instantly fell in love with. It was spacious' date=' feature packed, nicely built and a long cherished dream come true for a long time small car owner like me who was waiting ages for this upgrade. Suddenly all reviews (including those inside this forum) give me the hiccups by stating that this car though excellent is "underpowered". I am not exactly looking for a lean mean racing machine, but also i would not want a car without any power. I have heard from the overdrive review that the i20 performs better than the fabia?? If thats true why then call only the i20 "underpowered"? Why these double standards? And another question.. Is being underpowered only a relative term compared to cars in its category like the swift or is it (god forbid) even more "underpowered" than the i10s and the wagonrs?? Will i be able to overtake the smaller hatches on the highway if not the swift? And most importantly should I cancel my booking if it is "underpowered"?? Thanks..      [/quote']

yup the ritz does get the 1.2 litre K series engine!

The 1.2 K series engine was launched here, officially on Tuesday<yesterday>, there was a new's item to that effect in 'The Hindu' today. Ritz launch is imminent. Max power of the engine is 85 ps.

You guys have put me in a major dilemma. I currently own a maruti 800 and was looking to upgrade to the i20 which i almost instantly fell in love with. It was spacious' date=' feature packed, nicely built and a long cherished dream come true for a long time small car owner like me who was waiting ages for this upgrade. Suddenly all reviews (including those inside this forum) give me the hiccups by stating that this car though excellent is "underpowered". I am not exactly looking for a lean mean racing machine, but also i would not want a car without any power. I have heard from the overdrive review that the i20 performs better than the fabia?? If thats true why then call only the i20 "underpowered"? Why these double standards? And another question.. Is being underpowered only a relative term compared to cars in its category like the swift or is it (god forbid) even more "underpowered" than the i10s and the wagonrs?? Will i be able to overtake the smaller hatches on the highway if not the swift? And most importantly should I cancel my booking if it is "underpowered"?? Thanks..      [/quote']

Considering the fact that you drive 800 now, you won't feel the power deficit of i20.

i drive the dzire 1.3 MJD, and it never feels under powered! it has just 75 bhp and its diesel! so i dont think you should bother about these "underpowered" remarks! If you were driving a Old honda city VTEC or the palio 1.6 earlier, then obviously you will feel every other car in the sub 10 lakh category as "underpowered". Please go ahead and buy the i20!

@flash: Our dealer said it would take 35 days max (5 weeks) for delivery. Also they promised us free leather seats and teflon coating. Good deal eh?

how is it that the i20 outperforms the i10 and returns almost equal FE figures even though both share the same 1.2l kappa. Can anyone enlighten me?

Also they promised us free leather seats and teflon coating. Good deal eh?

free leather seats smiley3.gif ...!!!!!!that's amazing!! my dealer dint even promise me peanuts

i dont think its acceleration might be better than i10(kappa)..i have driven both of them n felt i10 responded a bit quick..top speed would be more because of better traction and stability