sudeepd

Noise comes while Rotating the Steering...

Since this question was not answered in my topic of "Indigo XL facing a

series of problems. Help.", I am forced to create this topic as A New

Thread.

Whenever the Steering is rotated (Left or Right), there is some

noise (some what like if something is grinding) from the front end of

the car may be from the Steering System or Shock Absorber.

The noise comes irrespective of car moving or standstill.

Means even if the car is standstill or in motion and the steering is rotated toward left or right, the noise comes.

Can you please tell what is the cause of this?

I showed to TASC yesterday. They told it is because of the struts are worn out.

He suggested me to get the struts greased and see if that solves the problem. If it does not then replace the Struts.

What do you guys advise?

Should I get the Struts greased or Replaced?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION TO YOUR BEST OF KNOWLEDGE.

sudeepd2009-04-15 14:00:55

i am amazed to see the figures in your signature !

30 kmpl+ on an indigo ?

the incredibly modern and fuel efficient fiestas and logans dont get that even on the highway , then how did u manage that in a tata ?smiley24.gif

hope you did the maths right. or probably time to buy a new calculator smiley36.gif

Please answer the question mentioned in the very first of this topic.

For your query, Please visit.http://www.autocarindia.com/new/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4124

for more information on the Fuel Efficiency of our Indigos.

The car has covered 77,000+kms. This is for Indigo XL Grand DiCOR Model.

Another similar problem is for Indigo LS. It has covered 1,63,000+kms. Whenever the car goes over speedbreakers or pothole roads, the Front Suspension makes noise. I changed all the four struts at around 85,000-90,000kms. At that time there was no specific problem, but I changed them. I should not have changed these at that time since there was no problem. The noise does not come while rotating the steering but only while going over speedbreakers or very rough roads.

Can you please tell me how to deal with both the cars?

The Indigo XL's (77,000kms)Steering makes noise whenever the Steering is rotated irrespective of motion of the car (Let the car be in motion or standstill, the noise comes when the steering is rotated).

The Indigo LS' [1,63,000kms. All four struts (complete shock assembly) were replaced at 85-90,000kms despite no problem] Front Suspension makes noise while going over speedbreakers or very rough roads.

BOTH THE CARS ARE NOT FACING ANY ALIGNMENT PROBLEMS EVEN WITH THIS NOISE COMING.

Manish, now what do you suggest, Greasing or Replacement of Struts?

The TASC advised me to grease the Struts of XL. They will separate the Springs and the inner rod with the tools and grease it and fit it back and check whether the noise disappears. If not then they will replace the struts with the new ones.

I have not told them about the Indigo LS Suspension noise that comes when travelling over speed breakers or very rough roads. The noise does not come while rotating the steering but only while going over speedbreakers or very rough roads.

UPDATE:

The problems mentioned above for both cars have disappeared themselves (Automatically).

Today I took both cars to TASC.

The XL was facing Steering noise when it was rotated left or right. But today it disappeared. It was not evident when I took the car to TASC.smiley1.gif Touchwood.

The LS was facing Suspension noise when the car travels over bumpy roads (I am not talking of rough roads but BUMPY ROADS) and Speed breakers.

That problem was also not evident when I went to TASC.smiley1.gif Touchwood.

Indigo LS--

On Turning the Steering Full Right (AT THE U-TURNS), some noise comes from the Left Front Tyre. I did not test with Full Left Turn.

The TASC Works Manager told me it is the noise of worn out Left Front Lower Arm. There is some Oil-Leakage too on the inside Rod of the Left Tyre (I will post a pic of Leakage, if possible). What do you think? Is it because of Lower Arm or Shock Absorber?

He advised me to replace the Lower Arm.

Should I replace Only the Left Front Lower Arm or the Right Front Lower Arm too as a set? Left Lower Arm costs Rs. 4200/- (he estimated). Means if I change both Lower Arms, it will be Rs.8400/-.

Please help on this matter guys.

sudeepd2009-05-04 13:42:23

With Reference to the very above post,

The Owner's Manual has a "Emergency Service Tips" Topic. In that there is a Suspension Section. In that, it is given as below--

Problem Observed --> Abnormal noise from front end (which my car is facing)

Probable Cause 

1.Worn, sticky or loose tie rod ends, lower ball joints, tie rod in side ball joints or drive shaft joints.

Action to be taken if above cause is true

Replace tie rod end, suspension arm, tie rod or drive shaft joints.

2. Damaged struts or mounting

Repair mounting or replace struts

3.Worn suspension arm bushings

Replace

4.Broken or damaged wheel bearing

Replace

5.  Poorly lubricated or worn strut bearings

Lubricate or replace strut bearings

6. Excessive hub play

Adjust

7. Loose caliper housing bolts

Check & tighten

How to identify exactly which one of the above problems my car is facing?

The Works Manager at TASC told me that the Left Lower Arm is worn

and needs replacement. But I Don't want to Gamble on this since the

Left Lower Arm costs more than Rs.4000/- excluding Labour.

So PLEASE HELP me Guys.

Off-topic

Today I took the XL to the TASC to get the Belt Squeezing noise repaired.

He applied some petroleum jelly on the belt.

Topic-Related

At that time (today) I asked the Supervisor Mr. Mohsin about the noise coming

from the Left Front Side of the Indigo LS (not XL)while taking full

Right U-Turn. I did not take the LS to the TASC, just I asked him.

He told me that Drive Shaft Bearing on the Left Side has been damaged

and hence the noise comes at Full Right U-Turns. The Complete Drive

Shaft Left-Side has to be replaced with new one. It costs around

Rs.4000/- plus the labour of Rs.350/- i.e. Total Rs.4350/-+ and time

required to replace it is around 2 hours since the Gear box oil has to

drained and the Drive shaft has to dismantled.. blah... blah..

Do I really need to change the Left Side Drive Shaft or replace the bearing only?

Does the Right Side Drive Shaft need attention too i.e Should I change

the Right Drive Shaft also? I have not tested taking Left U-Turn.

PLEASE HELP.

I think with 77K on the car it would do well to go for a shaft & bearing change. Right now it's best to go for change were the problem lies and look at the problem on the right if it appears.

Anijog, You got confused with XL and LS. The So-Called Drive Shaft Noise comes from Indigo LS (which has covered 1,65,000+kms).

Anyways, my question was "Do I need to change the Left Drive Shaft as a Whole or just the Bearing"?

Please Don't look at the Distance Covered (1,65,000+kms). Just tell me should I replace complete Left Drive Shaft or its Bearing only.

If by replacing only the bearing, the noise would disappear why should I replace Complete Left Drive Shaft (Rs.4500/-)?

@All

If you feel any other part need replacement instead of  Drive Shaft, Please mention.

I am Reposting this on behalf of Sudeep.

That means I should get the suspension overhauled. But when I asked the Supervisor, he said "Since the Noise comes only during Right U-Turns and only from Left Front Side there are two possibilites-
1. The Tyre must be rubbing the Fender
    OR
2. The Left Drive Shaft Bearing has worn out and Complete Left Drive Shaft needs to be replaced since the bearing is not available separately".

Now the first reason does not apply since I use Original Spec Tyres (175/65R14).

So should I
1. Replace the Left Drive Shaft as a whole (Rs.4000/- + Labour Rs.350/- = Rs.4350/-),
2. Get the Suspension overhauled (Labour around Rs.350-750/-),
3. Replace both Drive Shafts (Left and Right) Rs.8000/- + Labour Rs.700/- = Rs.8700/-. The reason for asking this, suppose I replace the left drive shaft now and after some days the noise come from Front Right Side I will have to get the Right DS as well.

I know I ask silly, foolish, stupid questions every now and then. But its better than taken for a ride by the Workshop (garage).

EDIT:
The last time I have done the Wheel Alignment on four wheels was at 1,39,XXXkms. Now the Odometer reading is 1,65,XXXkms. That means our Indigo LS has covered more than 26,000kms since last Wheel Alignment. Still no sign of uneven Wear on any tyre. So there should not be need to overhaul the suspension.

Thank you for editing my post and reposting the same.

I would have been more happy if you had added your opinion at the bottom of the post. Please do the needful.

Sudeep.