supriya

Apollo Alloys

By all means. Indian made alloys will get you guarantee/warranty not available on imports. Safer too.

I think Apollo was running a scheme on these, buy the tires and get discounts on the Alloys.

I love all the three designs which were advertised in the mag,inculding the models smiley2.gif

Yup, the only indian company which has better designs apart from Neo..Aura has worst designs..

If you like go for Apollo, atleast their designs are new, Neo's are very old and common although still attractive..

Visit Apollo's site and check out for your requirements..

The soul reason reason why I am so confused is, because this will be my first time. I drive an esteem 2005 model, I have done 35k what I still wonder is will it be a good bet or not.

Because honestly speaking I have heard some real goog reviews about "Apollo Alloys" also they look really nice in the "ACI" mag...wish they were doing something on the "Autocar" website too.

They do look awesome in the Magazine. From what I've seen, they look good in real life too. Indian make should also provide somewhat of a guarantee against wear and tear, which I feel is really important especially since imports can almost never be trusted.

I love apollo tyres & have been an avid user since last 4 years....now that they have come up with their latest range of "Alloys" I am buying them ASAP...

I would do the following:

1. Go for alloys where spares will be available (Apollo fits the bill). Cheap grey market imports may hav a problem here.

2. The manufacturer has a good QC (again Ok).

3. The alloy wheels are well designed and made. they should be light in weight. The latter is essential to reduce the unsprung weight. I will go for as 'open' a design as possible since that will be the lightest. Mag Alloys are lighter than Aluminium Alloys (even better)  but cost a fortune.

4. Buy a full set of five and not just four! I find getting a long mounting bolt made is often a very good idea.

I think that Apollo coming from a big tyre makes should be Ok.

Can you please tell me what do you mean by Open Design?

Is it right if I say Open Design means Less Number of Spokes (I dont know if I spelled it correctly)?

How to identify Mag Alloys and Aluminium Alloys? Means how to differentiate between them?

Just had a look at the entire range that "Apollo" has to offer on the "Autocar India Website". Two things that really work in "Apollo's" favor are:

1. Its great range, new age designs & after sales because of its great dealer-distribution network.

2. Once you go to "Apollo" you dont have to go now were else..."ONE STOP SHOP"....

Can you please tell me what do you mean by Open Design?
Is it right if I say Open Design means Less Number of Spokes (I dont know if I spelled it correctly)?

How to identify Mag Alloys and Aluminium Alloys? Means how to differentiate between them?
Open wheel design means an alloys wheel with rather lesser spokes so that you can easily see the disc or drum brakes and this eventually leads to lesser weight smiley4.gif .

Mag or AL wheels can be told by the dealer just ask him

Thanks rssh.

Mag or AL wheels can be told by the dealer just ask him

In India, Almost All Dealers (or should I say Almost All People) Don't know the difference between Alloy Wheel and Mag Wheel (Even I used to think that the Mag Wheel is the Rural Word for Alloy Wheel).

But after reading the post of Sanjayji, I came to know that Alloy wheel is different from Mag Wheel.smiley3.gif

If you ask Almost anyone he/she Refers Alloy Wheels to be same as Mag Wheels.

Now the Premium Bikes come with Alloy Wheels as OEM. But if you ask the Owner, he will say they are Mag Wheels. My Friend has old Pulsar (Bikini Fairing but no Gas Shocks and Alloys). He just fitted the Silver Alloys and when I asked me he said "Recently I fitted these Mag Wheels".smiley36.gif

Same goes for the Cars.

When I go for Wheel Alignment of our Indigo XL which has OEM Alloy Wheels to a garage, on seeing the Alloy Wheels the Garage Owner promptly Replies me "Sir, we don't have Mag Wheel Alignment".     smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

So can Someone Please tell me how to spot the difference between Alloy Wheel and Mag Wheel?

That is where we all go wrong. Let me try and explain.

Step 1: Steel Wheels. These are what we get in most cars. Commonly also known as a wheel disk.

Step 2: Alloy wheels. Wheels made of a different allloy as compared to Standard Steel.   An alloy wheel can still be in the shape of a standard Wheel disk.

Step 3: Mag Wheels. Mag(short form for Magnesium) wheels were used in the early days of racing as they were lighter and thus reduced unsprung weight.

Where most people go wrong is they generalize the last two terms. The "Fancier" rims we get in the market are just ALLOY wheels in a certain pattern.

I hope you understand.

EDIT: There are very few companies that offer Authentic Magnesium wheels. Most of these Magnesium wheels would be found on Track Cars. I believe OZ and BBS still have Magnesium alloy wheels in their range...Apart from many other Wheel Makers.
CYRUS432009-05-08 11:20:56

The "Fancier" rims we get in the market are just ALLOY wheels in a certain pattern.

Means the Mag Wheel is the one which has plain look and Only Alloy Wheel has Fancier Look or am I wrong?

But Cyrus, I asked the tips to Differentiate between Alloy and Mag Wheel. Is this the only way to spot difference?

Thanks Cyrus. Let me expand on the theme. Why are alloys useful? It is not the looks which come in last in my view of things. They are stuffer and less prone to bending, thus retaining the shape better. Also, they are more 'open' permitting better brake cooling.

However, the crux is being lighter they reduce the unsprung mass, which allows the wheel to follow the terrain better, giving a better road grip and handling.

The wheel/tyre are beyond the suspension and are hence unsprung. Let us take a very simple view. The stiffness (called the spring constant) of the suspension is 'K'. Then the resonance frequency of the assembly is f= 2*Pi*root(K/m).

Thus to increase the frequency (so that it follows the contour better) we must reduce 'm'. Here Alloys, tubeless tyres, etc. all play their role. In the old Jaguar E-type (and K-type) the brakes were inboard in an attempt to reduce the unsprung weight even more. Cooling them was a nightmare so this idea was dropped.

sgiitk2009-05-08 11:43:10

@Sudeep, Again, you are generalising. Alloy Wheels and Mag wheels, and for that matter steel wheels can come in both Standard disc forms or can come in a fancy shape. The Difference in the Material that are made of. And on the face of things, you cant differentiate by just looks.

@sgiitk, I do remember instances(on TV documanteries) in the E Type where the brake would actually catch fire as they could not be cooled adequately.

The Difference is in the Material that are made of. And on the face of things' date=' you cant differentiate by just looks.[/quote']

But how to find out that difference in Material since Mag Wheels are Expensive than Normal Alloys, most Dealers may tend to sell the Normal Alloys disguising as Mag Wheels (and Fill their pockets as usual).

If there is no Hard and Fast Rule, then its OK. I will stick to Alloys rather than getting rip off.

Hows the material of Apollo Alloy Wheelz? I've had the opportunity of looking at them on a car on the street.. in fact the red lip design was the one I saw on a red Hyundai Accent, and they were looking really really awesome. And by their looks, they seem to be pretty sturdy. Anyone have any dope on that?

Well no one can tell anything about quality front on Apollo as we don't really know how are they built but they are at par with Aura and Neo.

Being from a major tyre player I will be very surprised if the requisite QC is not done. They will not risk their tyre business with poor quality alloys in what is  after all a relatively minor business for them.

Apollo has done a great job by introducing "Apollo Alloys", atleast now we have a branded indian major to trust. Guys I had an oppurtunity to visit one the dealers & trust you me the over all Quality, Look & Design is just truely amazing.

May be you are right sgiitk but apart from BBS and OZ I don't really know which brand to trust .I can trust aura and neo and somewhat Appollo due to their use in Indian car market .