AShah

New Honda City AT

Hi,

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am planning to buy the New Honda City with automatic transmission. Would like to get your reviews/comments

Thx guys.. I took a test drive last week.. yes, the car is missing few features for this kind of price tag. I was expecting alloys and fog lamp at least, but the car is smooth, the auto transmission makes it easer to drive in the city. My only concern is that the auto transmission is not 100% proven in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />India and people have mixed opinions. A company like Honda would not introduce it without good research though

Most people don't buy the automatic since it is costlier and FE is lower than the manual, but if you don't have any problem with the price and FE(will be lower by around 2 than what you get in the manual) you can surely go for the automatic.

Hi, i just recently bought the Honda City AT last month and its an absolute pleasure to drive especially in Mumbai traffic. This being a new experience to drive an automatic at times initially one does feel that you dont control the car like in the manual but this would go off in a couple of days once one gets used to AT. I beleive between the AT and MT, its a good decision to buy an AT and especially the Honda.

The City & Civic has the same gearbox, and this has a torque converter lockup. 

I was amazed to find on the Honda US site that the AT Civic had a higher EPA Highway mpg figure than the manual. The town figure was marginally lower in the AT.

Hi AShah!

You have made a wise decision by opting for Honda City automatic. It is a great car with a blend of performance, style and feature. Every thing is good about this car. Go ahead with your decision. All the best.

@scorpionitch: Remember you have no engine braking in D. So be careful when driving a long downhill stretch. You must shift to a lower range otherwise you risk cooking your brakes which can be mighty dangerous.

Hi Sgiitk, I didnt quite follow when u mentioned that there is no engine braking in D mode, in case of  AT how does one shift to lower range unless i get the car into MT mode which is ava and then shift it into 2nd gear perhaps.

Appreciate if you could kindly throw some additional light on this issue.

In an AT the clutch disconnects as soon as the engine speed is lower than the shaft speed. In normal ATs you go to 3, 2, 1 (or Lo) to get engine braking. If the dual mode tranny does not allow it you may be forced to go into Manual. remember the golden rule - the gear for going down is the same as for going up! Try out a gea lower than full auto and you should be in business.

sgiitk2009-05-07 11:58:00

@A Shah: You can't go wrong with your choice..go ahead and buy it. It's the most successful premium midsizer. The only other thing is, at this price range, you can also have a 'deko' at the Civic/Altis base version's.

Am sorry but i still didnt get it regarding shifting to lower gear in AT mode as "D" is the only mode ava, the only option would be to change into "S" mode for MT and adjust the gear by lowering it based on speed as in a normal MT car, would that be the correct way to handle it

Am sorry but i still didnt get it regarding shifting to lower gear in AT mode as "D" is the only mode ava' date=' the only option would be to change into "S" mode for MT and adjust the gear by lowering it based on speed as in a normal MT car, would that be the correct way to handle it [/quote']

This what I feared. I suspect if you switch to say 3 in the manual mode then the shift will move in the 1-2-3 sequence as well. Check your manual, or with Honda. In the worst case you will havt to do manual gear changes on a long steep downhill. In our case we being unaware of the problem were merrily coming down a hill in the Alps in France in D in a Peugeot (T think a 403) AT . It was a downhill stretch of about 13 miles. At one point we totally lost the brakes. Luckily there was a slip road on the side. We went up that and stopped. The brakes were red hot.

May be those with AT Honda City (new model) or Civic which has the same box can advise.

sgiitk2009-05-08 04:54:33

Hi Sgiitk,

I spoke with the Honda Service Engineer and was informed that for AT transmission while on a downhill slope we need to change it to "S" mode which is MT and then adjust the gear accordingly depending on the slope and the distance to be travelled