brokenconcept

Should I buy the aveo 1.4?

If you guys remember, I have already booked the i20 asta. But today an ad by chevy in the newspaper caught my attention. They declared a flat 50k discount on the aveo models to "clear the march stock cars". These were cars manufactured in march but which remained unsold. My question is: "should i cancel my i20 and go in for this offer which seems so irresistable?" are stock clearances like these carried out regularly. How good is the aveo 1.4? Are there chances of it being phased out? Help me guys...    

the aveo is an average car ... nothing great about it. Infact i would term it as unexciting. it is selling very low numbers thanks to better cars around. i think its due for a facelift too .

IMO i20 is surely a better bet. Its just been launched and i guess you should go in for the latest stuff. i20 interiors and space is better than the aveo. maintenance wise too hyundai is goiong to be wallet friendly.  i would recommend you the i20. its cool.

I second autofreako...

Go for the i20 bro..Aveo is a average in all terms.. Great negative is its sluggish response. Hyundai will get u more resale value and less maintanance cost..

Aveo is the car which does not excels in any department.....yes,the interiors are upmarket but that's not   enough!!the obvious reason of it for selling in less numbers is "better competition"..so y chose a car which lags behind in race...

and firstly you decide...which will be more comfortable for you..a "Hatch" or "Sedan"??

Hello broken concept.  A friend of mine has an Aveo 1.4 and he is very happy with that.  I have driven it and also have travelled a few miles in it now and then and I find the car very adequate for daily commuting with decent torque and power.  That it is not selling like hotcakes is another matter.  But the car itself in my honest opinion is very good.  You are not likely to have too many problems with the car, if you are not looking for great resale value.

Thanks a lot guys. I decided not to go in for the aveo after all. My brother took a good look at the aveo and went straight in favor of the i20. He no doubt agreed the aveo is a great car but against the competition (i20) it feels extremely outdated. It lacks abs, ebd, electronic orvms, airbags, 2 din stereo, climate control and rear ac vents. The aveo was a good buy last year. Unfortunately, the competition has moved far ahead. Regarding driveability, the i20 is peppy enough for city drives and did not feel underpowered to me. Thanks for your inputs.   

The i 20 "does not" have rear A/C vents.  I have seen the car and asked the dealer, and I have been shown a channel under the front seats of the car to direct airflow into the rear of the car.  When I asked the dealer what difference this made when compared to a car without these vents the dealer could not give me any answer in percentages but said that it would make a marginal difference.

Thanks a lot guys. I decided not to go in for the aveo after all. My brother took a good look at the aveo and went straight in favor of the i20. He no doubt agreed the aveo is a great car but against the competition (i20) it feels extremely outdated. It lacks abs' date=' ebd, electronic orvms, airbags, 2 din stereo, climate control and rear ac vents. The aveo was a good buy last year. Unfortunately, the competition has moved far ahead. Regarding driveability, the i20 is peppy enough for city drives and did not feel underpowered to me. Thanks for your inputs.   [/quote']

Fine decision-I second the opinion of not going for the Aveo.As regards the i 20, if the buying decision is not very urgent and can wait, I would suggest you to wait for a more compatible and powerful engine, that is going to be fitted to the i20, which presently use the i 10's 1.2L Kappa engine. This is excellent for the i10, but loses its grunt with the i20 due to the car's heavier weight.

Hey brokenconcept even i was in a dilema of whether to buy an Aveo 1.4 or buy the new Ford Ikon TDCi. since my uncle owned a 2006 Aveo 1.4 LS, he as well as other members of this forum advised me not to go for the car becuase its not a good driver's car due to its uninspiring 1.4 litre engine and massive body roll. yes, the interiors of Aveo is top notch and its a good looking sedan but its like the age old proverb" ALL THAT GLITTERS, IS NOT GOLD" and its 100% true for Aveo. It gives maximum 10 km/pl in city without a/c on and its maintenance is on the higher side and that too higher than Ford Ikon and Fiesta. And as far as Chevrolet is concerned its already suffering from Global meltdown and is under US Govt financial aid. Though Gm india wont agree that its India operations are hampered by its near bankrupt position in US, but its the true.How can a subsidiary branch of same company survive when its parent company is in near bankrupt state and is operating under US Govt emergency financial aid. Even the Aveo is sold in other European and US markets where its not a popular car as in India. Thats why i chose the Ford ikon TDCi over Aveo 1.4. Nevertheless the i20 is a superb hatchback and its very big both on the inside and outside and it has abs, ebd, electronic orvms,6 airbags, 2 din stereo, climate control . and as Anjan said its got the peppy 1.2 litre kappa motor from i10 which gives i20 a superb driveability and its a very stable car unlike the Aveo which is wobbly and skittish when driven hard.swiftvxi062009-04-20 05:16:01

i 20 is a good car. My neighbour has one ( beige ) . It doesnt look good in that colour. The car looks great in white. and with all the features it offers it seems like a good buy to me.

@flash, sadsack. The i20 does have rear ac vents under the front seats. Though i havent seen them yet, the i20 brochure mentions them quite clearly. I dont think hyundai would print it if it werent true...

@anjan: we test drove the car extensively and found it pretty smooth and responsive. The clutch is EXTREMELY light, perhaps the lightest i've come across so far. I had no issues with the engine and felt it to be more than adequate in the city. After all i dont do much of highway driving

swiftvxi06. Exactly my view dude. The aveo though great in the looks dept, fails to score in driveability and features.   

@vinoth86: yup beige looks a bit garish.. I chose the sleek silver colour

@flash' date=' sadsack. The i20 does have rear ac vents under the front seats. Though i havent seen them yet, the i20 brochure mentions them quite clearly. I dont think hyundai would print it if it werent true...
[/quote']

No sir.  Please check the car and not the brochure.  The i20 does not have separate A/C vents for the rear.  There is only a channel to direct airflow to the back.  Please ask the dealer to show you the vents.

Sadsack: if that's true, its a serious error on hyundai's part to print incorrect info on their brochure. Thanks for pointing that out. I have another TD coming up tomorrow and i'll ask the salesman to show me those vents...

swiftvxi: yup, I booked the asta. Lots more features and great vfm..

@ brokenconcept...did u notice the A/c cooling while taking the TD???..one of my friend is complaining that the A/c doesn't cools the room well enough..is it so?? smiley5.gif

Tanmay, I'm going for the silver.

flash: I can only say this comparitively.. The AC's not as good as the santro, probably because the santro's cabin is much smaller than the i20. But the ac is better compared to the aveo. Though effective, I found the AC to be making too much noise. Probably I felt this because the car had excellent outside noise insulation or the ac was set to high...Yet it was a bit on the higher side.

@brokenconcept: Yes I found the i20 a/c not as effective as my Elantra. The noise is coz you must have tested the Asta O variant with the Auto a/c which when left in the auto mode make's quiet a racket. I even found the ANHC's a/c wanting especially after having driven Elantra. Hyundai a/c's are the coolest and best a/c's in the mass market, they even bettered the Merc E class in one of ACI's previous survey's. Add a good sunfilm and problem will be solved. Keep a slower than max fanspeed and after sometime reduce speed to one bar for best cooling and silent operation.