anish88

Excessive Road Noise

Hey,

I've got a Hyundai Getz GLS, purchased in early 2006 and has clocked 23000-odd kilometers. The stock tyres are the broader 13" Good Year 175s. The car was limited to the city for the first two and a half years of its life and in the past 9 odd months, it's been doing rounds of the expressways around Delhi.

Off late, I noticed a lot of road noise coming into the car. I figured it would be the engine since the car hadnt been serviced in 5 months. I sent it to the service centre for routine servicing and the excessive noise still exists in the car. I took it to the service centre again and the guy there said there's a problem with the tyres. I took the car for wheel balancing and alignment afterwards and to my shock, the inside wall of one of the tyres has worn off excessively. The tyre guys told me that two of my tyres are damaged and the other three are fine (including the spare).

What I'm wondering is how much of a difference would changing two of the tyres make to the excessive road noise?

I think you need to go for all 4 new tires. You have not much of Kms but more age on the tires. Three years old tires have obviously detioriated. A quick check is to see if you have enough tread depth by checking the twi marking on the tires. If the tread depth is gone beyond that then in any case you need to change over before June monsoons.anijog2009-04-29 07:17:16

A sheer case of not taking care of the tyres..... The wheels need alignment every 3 to 4 thousand KM ....with tyre rotation done every 5 to 6 thousand km......

Maintain good tyre pressure and this will take care of your problem.....

This time before replacing the tyres.....take the car to alignment shop and ask him to check if Chamber of the car is out...if thats the case this explains the Noise and tyre worn from the inside......

Slight correction here Vivek it's wheel camber' date=' must be a typo! I guess that is done when you align the wheels

[/quote']

Sorry for the typo there....

Yes almost all alignment Machines test the Vehicle for Camber also........if the camber out beyond the tolerance limit then the Alignment guy will adjust the same by either using a smaller nut on the Shock absorber or some people may do the extreme mistake of welding the hole in the shocker ....thats too risky ... mostly the front camber will need to b adjusted as the load on front tyres is more than the load on the rear tyres...viveksonkhla2009-04-29 11:56:27

The wheels need alignment every 3 to 4 thousand KM ....with tyre rotation done every 5 to 6 thousand km......

Sorry to differ here.

I own Indigo LS which has crossed 1,63,000+kms.

Last Time Wheel Alignment was done at 1,39,000+kms in around July 2007 (I had changed Front Tyres with new Bridgestone and Put the Older Front JKTyres to the Rear. Then the Wheel Balancing and Alignment was carried).

After that neither the Wheel Alignment has been carried out nor Tyre Rotation.

But all the Four Tyres are in Good Condition. No abnormal Wear on any of the tyres.

Tata Motors Ltd. Recommend Wheel Alignment every 15,000kms for Indigo.

The service guy at Samara Hyundai told me that the tyre problem is inherent with the Getz. I don't know whether he was trying to cover up their ignorance since I've been getting my car serviced from the same service centre since day 0, or it's an actual problem with the car.

Anyway, would getting two new tyres for the front and putting the best of the current tyres at the back be a good option? Summer cash crunch isn't really allowing me to get five new ones.

Also, would it be wise to install a different brand of new tyres of the same size with the existing ones or is it just plain stupid?

After the Alignment is done, a Report is printed by the Alignment Machine. On it you will be able to see the Ideal Settings (Sometimes an Ideal Settings Range is provided), Before Alignment Settings, and After Alignment Settings.

You can compare and check whether the settings are as per Hyundai norms.

As for Different Brand Tyres,

You can use Different Brand with Existing Brand (But Most of the Members on this Forum Dont Recommend This).

After Fitting New Tyres, get the Wheel Balancing And Wheel Alignment Done at Other Garages to check whether they do better than your HASC (Hyundai Auth. Service Center) or not.

Do post if problem persists.

sudeepd2009-05-04 10:19:26

Well If you want to go for new tyres buy two and put them in front and the other good two at the rear also try to get the same make and model of the current tyre .Before doing this check out the alignment at local shop first.

Dear Anish, Getz has inherent problem of tyre noise creeping into the cabin. Though overall insulation of the car is superb, tyre humming is audible and when you are driving on highway the noise increases with the increase in the speed. Though you can try all necessary alingments and balancing, the best way is to increase the volume of Car Audio.smiley2.gif. I m doing the same thing. All the best.

Goodyears are generally bad tyres and are known to be noisy. Just changed them to Michelins on my Octavia and there is a world of difference. I think changing just two tyres won't make much of a difference. I suggest you change them all and improve your driving experience.

Just changed two of the tyres, got 'em fitted to the front. I have to say that the difference in the road noise level is significant. Pretty satisfied with the results as of now. Thanks for all the advice!

I guess i saw this thread a little late.

I would have suggested you to change the stock goodyears to Michelin XM1+s. I just did that after running my Getz GLS stock goodyears for 40000 Kms. Trust me, the road noise reduced significantly. The car has a better feel to it as well. Steering feels lighter (without feeling lifeless) and the car rides better.

You can still do it. Think about it.
thisisviraj2009-05-11 14:03:58

Thanks for the info Viraj. I'll definately look into it in another years time once I start earning. But yes, the car is riding really well with reduced Road Noise so I'm satisfied for now.