saurabh99

USB virus to music system ?

hey friends , just wanted to know something from you people.

i've just bought the 3rd gen city. ( to be honest my dad gifted me on my 18th b'day).

i wanted to play songs from my usb. i was worried that if i transfer songs from my laptop (which maybe has some virus) to the usb and then connect the same to my usb cord in the system in the car , can some virus go to the music player and cause some harm. please advise as i am not very tech-savvy.

regards saurabh.

Yeh! the virus will travel thru the music system and then lodge it self in the ECU and you will have a car with real character! acting up as and when the virus feels like it smiley24.gif

Off course don't take it to heart!

hey friends ' date=' just wanted to know something from you people.

i've just bought the 3rd gen city. ( to be honest my dad gifted me on my 18th b'day).

i wanted to play songs from my usb. i was worried that if i transfer songs from my laptop (which maybe has some virus) to the usb and then connect the same to my usb cord in the system in the car , can some virus go to the music player and cause some harm. please advise as i am not very tech-savvy.

regards saurabh.
[/quote']

Relax,

The Car Audio System and the ECU in the car only share one thing in Common...."The Power

" or your car battery......And the virus will not travel through an electrical system.......

If you are scared...just scan the files with an anti virus or any other security software before transferring them to your USB or MP3 player.......

Yeh! the virus will travel thru the music system and then lodge it self in the ECU and you will have a car with real character! acting up as and when the virus feels like it smiley24.gif
Off course don't take it to heart!

.............and have musical tunes coming out of the car's exhaust!!!!!!!smiley17.gif DARXIDE2009-05-05 08:33:31

Yeh! the virus will travel thru the music system and then lodge it self in the ECU and you will have a car with real character! acting up as and when the virus feels like it smiley24.gif Off course don't take it to heart!

.............and have musical tunes coming out of the car's exhaust!!!!!!!smiley17.gif [/quote']

That will have to have a new name "MUSICAL CAR FARTS!!!!!"

but wanted to know if the player can get corrupted or something like that.

First Congrats on your Beauty (I don like City apart from its Looks and Engine).

The Player will not get corrupted even if Thousands of Viruses are Present in your Pen Drive. Ever heard that Home DVD Player or CD Player is infected by virus. No. Then its simple. Your City's Music System is safe from Virus.

Hi Saurabh... first of all a very happy belated birthday to you smiley1.gif Turing sweet 18 and that too with such a gift.. you are lucky man. Hoping you are going to cast your first vote as well which we all should do.smiley32.gif

Re: your query there are no chances of your car music system getting corrupted as viruses which actually are a program are not coded to alter a music system. So relax any enjoy the music..

thanks for the replies.

i actually was'nt asking that will the virus travel to the ecu . but wanted to know if the player can get corrupted or something like that.

thanks again .

A virus will remain dormant in your system, it can affect other usb's you may insert in your system.

A computer program in written in a particular language and the same language is not used by music systems, though there have been cases were the music is distorted in some cases or some frequencies get affected. It depends on the type of system, better to remove the virus prior installation is a preventive way.

Hi Saurabh... first of all a very happy belated birthday to you smiley1.gif Turing sweet 18 and that too with such a gift.. you are lucky man. Hoping you are going to cast your first vote as well which we all should do.smiley32.gif

thanks for the wishes A.Rathore.  trust me it was very difficult to convince my dad. i was promised the car after my XII results and if i had managed 90%.

eventually managed to convince him that i'l be getting 90+

i am just praying as my results are to be declared shortly. if i dont he's gonna take my back side for sure. yup , i'l be voting for the first time.

Viruses are platform specific & Music players in cars don't have any specific platform, so one can design a virus for them!

& Another part is that Music players can read only MP3, WMA, AAW, AMR & Non-of them are self executable, so chances of having viruses in such formats are Billion to One & that too designed for the same platform as your music player is till far!