RonakG

i10 automatic

Recently I have noticed a lot of i10 automatic cars (in Bangalore at least).  Is this the start of a trend towards automatic cars?

I think Hyundai has a chance to sweep the automatic market if it drops the prices of i10 automatic.

What do you guys think?

I have had an automatic since 1999. First it was a Zen and now a Santro. By all accounts the i10 Kappa Automatic is a nice car to drive. However, there are a few points:

1. Like most low end automatics the Hyundai automatic does not have a torque converter lockup. This means that the fuel consumption penalty continues all the way.

2. By the looks of it, the AT is a three speed box upgraded to four speeds (notice the OD button on the selector). This is not a serious issue but I would be happier if the gate was a proper 4-speed gate. The same AT upgraded to handle higher power is used in the Verna AT.

At one time there was no AT between the Santro and the City. Now the Verna is there. I will like to see more ATs in the mid-size segment.

The prices are high because of low volumes as well as the fact that th ATs are all imported.

The 4 gear was just an addition to the basic 3 speed one on the Santro and I don't think the i10 Kappa's auto is modified to suit the Kappa engine. AT are more of like a wonmans car (which many Indians think) but it is a real relaxer in conjested traffic nowadays

I had never saw this many automatics on road before i10 launched.  Don't know if Santro auto had the Auto badge or not.

Agree that it is popular among women, but there are lot of guys also using i10 auto.  It makes all the sense to use i10 auto in Bangalore traffic.

Hyundai should cash in on this opportunity.

Well the reason of not many AT's being sold in Indian market is mainly due to it's price sensitivity. Otherwise AT is a boon in city driving and in countries like USA more than 90% of cars are having AT.