pryas

Why do we pay more

Hey everyone as my relatives and cousins are in US i heard that..............

Honda Civic is Available for around 18 US$  after comnverting it will be around..........18000 X 40 Rs =  7.20 Lacs but in India Civic Base Version costs around 12.5 lacs On ROAD. Means around rs 5 lacs more.

Lets take another example ........... TOYOTA CAMRY............

Its Price is around 25K US$   convert it. means    25000X40 = 10 lacs if i am not mistaken.......... and we pay around 23- 25 Lacs for TOYOTA CAMRY in INDIA. now isnt that too much???????????????????? around 14 lacs more.

Ok guys wont bugg you with more Mathematics...............

but simliarly you can compare with cars price to that of INDIAN.

I hope my topic was not BORINGsmiley5.gif

...And they foist outdated and phased out models and sell it at outrageous prices and we lap 'em up as luxury models: Skoda Octavia visavis the Laura. The Octy costs 12 lakhs... for a phased out car is pretty steep don't you think. And what rave reviews it's been getting. And Laura costs the same as an Accord, still we see quiet a few of them on the roads and has just 105 bhp and 25 kgm torque to lug around some 1330 kgs of metal. I think we should blame ourselves before we blame others: it's because we are still buying them that they are selling it here.....fault lies with us...

Well the tax structure of our country is quite different. If I remember correctly' date=' its around 120% duty for CBUs. Thats why some cars are so expensive.

FRG
[/quote']

ooops thats too costly and thats how the cars pricing is too highsmiley6.gif

...And they foist outdated and phased out models and sell it at outrageous prices and we lap 'em up as luxury models: Skoda Octavia visavis the Laura. The Octy costs 12 lakhs... for a phased out car is pretty steep don't you think. And what rave reviews it's been getting. And Laura costs the same as an Accord' date=' still we see quiet a few of them on the roads and has just 105 bhp and 25 kgm torque to lug around some 1330 kgs of metal. I think we should blame ourselves before we blame others: it's because we are still buying them that they are selling it here.....fault lies with us...[/quote']

Hahahaha thats true DD thats why i opened this thread so that we the people of INDIA could understand Intl scenesmiley36.gif.

Well If I am not mistaken Civic is manufactured in India isn't it .The corolla is called the middle man's car because it costs 8.5lakhs for the auto version in other country.Here it costs around 14lakhs for auto and it is manufactured in India so its not a CBU. If this is because of taxation then what will be the price when govt. will put education cess and more tax so that buyer opt for public transport (around 18lakhs) .The new 2008 Hayabuza costs a mere 4.5lakhs which many can afford who are opting for second car but when it comes here it around 14lakhs.

Well said, guys.  The manufacturers want to cash in on the immaturity of the market and showcase otherwise common cars as "luxury" cars.  Otherwise how can they offer upto one lakh as discount ?!!  You would easily overlook a Skoda Octavia on European roads, but over here it is portrayed as a car close to the Merc C-Class.  They could have easily lowered the price on the older Octavia.  Its a well known fact that the margins on higher end cars are really high, an excuse for their "low" volumes. 

Our excise duties are to blame to a certain extent for the high prices. But its better than some countries like Singapore, where an Octavia would cost about 20 lakh!  We can witness lowering of prices of these cars in the future, when there are more players in that segment and when the competition increases. 

Jitz

Nice topic mate, very valid as well. Among these exploiters, Mercedes stands first, look at the C-Class prices, went up from 19L to 28L for nothing.....We really require a program like TopGear to kill these looters. 

why do all  foreign cars in india cost so much more than the same in other countries ??? is it because of the high import duties ??

But, why does the govt have to levy such high taxes on imports ?? Isn't it good for the country if there're more imports ??

In Europe, all non European imports are subjected to high import duties but not so high as ours which is 120% on CBU's. Despite high duties the Japs and Korean small to mid size cars have left many European carmakers high and dry, with some especially in the UK packing off. Now the Japs and even the Koreans to some extent are eyeing their luxury car market and have been posting very good sales.

every successful country in the world except for china has made it on the back of the auto industry

Except here. Today we export more than we import, so the BOT is in our favour

still the auto industry is taxed very heavily

now if we had decent taxation we would have more cars sold and the same money collected by the Govt

only problem, we STILL don't know how to make roads

Sher Shah Suri tried to teach us way back when

but politicians seem to have perfected the art of making money off infrastructure

it is widely known that almost 65 percent of the money allocated for roads simply vanishes

the contractors use very low cost materials, use antique equipment and actually make sure they are contracted to build the road again soon - so that more

money can be made

yes i agree. this is a nice topic too. and also is there any solution for this??????

The solution I see is that we encourage indigeneous car manufacturers to shape some good metal in India itself, and offer stiff competition to outside carmakers, coming up with good quality cars, competent in terms of luxury and performance, and the cost... let it prove decisive. Guess Tata and Maruti have some homework to do, though the latter is really showing some initiative and spine!!!

I think this was discussed earlier in the topic "How manufacturers think we are stupid". For anyone interested, look up for that one(it had some fiery discussions and colorful thoughts too smiley2.gif)

It is true the level of graft in our construction industry is massive. However, the GQ and the NHAI by all accounts were having lower leakages, and higher standards. I hear following the demise of the NDA govt. the UPA lot initially put the GQ on the backburner for a couple of years. Even now much of the autonomy of the NHAI has not been resrored, and cost overruns due to the 2-3 year hiatus are not being sanctioned.

May be after Maj.Gen. Khanduri now we need  Mr Sreedharan to get the roads into shape.