sgiitk

Quick Automatic Primer

Automatic Transmissions are becoming more popular every day. Many people think that with an automatic you do not have to learn anything at all. This is not strictly true. So I thought I will put down some basics.

1. Use Right Foot Only: Tray and avoid picking up the bad habit fo using the left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator. Use the right foot only. 'Park' the left foot on the dead pedal.

2. Careful when driving downhill: Automatic transmissions disconnect as soon as the road speed is higher than the shaft speed. Thus you have no engine braking. When driving downhill you should shift to a lower ratio (here engine is not disconnected) otherwise driving continuously on the brakes can overheat them. You may be left with no brakes if the fade totally.

One consequence of this 'freewheeling' is that brakes pads last less. 20-25k is typical!

3. Shift to N at lights: If you have a prolonged stop it is better to shift to N. This reduces fuel consumption.

4. Drive Gently: Be soft on the throttle. It cab make a big difference to the consumption figures.

sgiitk2009-05-07 07:35:14

2. Careful when driving downhill: Automatic transmissions disconnect as soon as the road speed is higher than the shaft speed. Thus you have no engine braking. When driving downhill you should shift to a lower ratio (here engine is not disconnected) otherwise driving continuously on the brakes can overheat them. You may be left with no brakes if the fade totally.

One consequence of this 'freewheeling' is that brakes pads last less. 20-25k is typical!

I guess this holds good for manual transmission too.

for instent pickup u can also try the breakdown technique ,

one more thing i have noticed is that people park their cars on N mode ,

when people put their foot on the accelerator , they don't remove it , if u leave the accelerator just after the gear shift and press it again the FE increase a bit.

@sarabjeet: It is kickdown and not breakdown. To explain if you floor the throttle the engine downshifts (all the way possible) and then picks up real fast. Also, drinks a lot of fuel.

Thanks for pointing this one out. One should park the car in 'P'. In this mode a mechanical device locks the transmission. Also, naturally one should not go into P until the car is fully stationary.

@sgiitk: This topic is a real eye opener. I say this, coz all my life I haven't driven an automatic. The point's you made are very easy to understand. Thank you for starting the topic. I think my next car will be an automatic. smiley20.gif.

well even i have never driven an automatic...we want sgiitk sir to explain how to operate an automatic...what i have heard from a friend about driving an a/t is

switch on the engine,move the gear lever into drive mode and thats it after that the car will keep on choosing the appropriate gear....i wanted to ask that when you stop at a red light does the car automatically shifts to nuetral or gearlever has to be moved to nuetral and further how is the reverse gear engaged ??????

@ mehul

u have to move the lever to the neutral mode manualy , u can sift from D , 1 and L mode to N mode without without pressing the safety button , but to go to the reverse or R mode or P(parking mode) u have to press the safety button , this is because u don't accidently switch to P or R mode

I drove an auto vauxhaul in the UK...Zafira as far as I remember...it was the first auto vehicle i drove. 

I was working with the international office at Cardiff University UK and had volunteered to drive down to Gatwick to pickup freshers, though had no idea that they would handover an auto vehicle, but once I got used to it had no problem...had a lot of fun on the M4 - awesome accelration and high speed handling!!

vauxhall_zafira_24_06_05.jpg

Kinshuk2009-05-07 20:50:23

i was quote keen to buy an automatic now when we looking for a car for my wife..

had all this knowledge spread across earlier i woudl have surely bought an AT.

Nevertheless.. it great information.. Thanks to all...

An automatic is a great boon. Most heartily recommended.

I have had one for a decade plus. However, one should know a few points of caution. The biggest is about long down hill runs. Otherwise, you can just put it in D and forget.

You can convert your manual car to automatic, I think a company called automate is carrying out these conversions. the change over is not permenant, which is great, you can revert back to your manual transmission if you want, though I will never ever select a auto, I love the action of shifting gears at will, auto's are for girls.....ummm did I start a debate here?!

You can convert your manual car to automatic' date=' I think a company called automate is carrying out these conversions. the change over is not permenant, which is great, you can revert back to your manual transmission if you want, though I will never ever select a auto, I love the action of shifting gears at will, auto's are for girls.....ummm did I start a debate here?![/quote']

ahh no nothing to debate about that , infact many people have the same views , but most girls can't handle auto's , personal experience .

once i read in an interview that VW group guy was making a statement , that in the future all gear systems will be automatic as clutch is the only thing currently coming in between good FE figures .

if u take a look at the different types of automatic transmission available u will be shocked , even the ferrari california uses an autotranmission , auto's were avoided for a long time by manufacturers for low FE and failure to deliver high levels of tourque , but porsche changed everything , now days an dsg , tiptronic , semi-automatic , electrhydraulic manual transmission , dual clutch , multitronic etc etc transmission deliver more FE than manual transmission as most of the drivers go wrong with the clutch

An automatic is a great boon. Most heartily recommended.

I have had one for a decade plus. However' date=' one should know a few points of caution. The biggest is about long down hill runs. Otherwise, you can just put it in D and forget. [/quote']

@ sgiitk , present day auto tranmission , like in the tiptroonic automatically sift to lower gears or higher gear if the user forgets to do so , the downhill problem i think only exists on CVT's , correct me if i am wrong , because it was my personal expernce

@sarebjeet; Most very high powered cars are automatic since the MT/clutch may not be able to cope with it. When I was a student in the mid 70's I learnt about a chap (had to be in the UK) who took a RR Merlin Engine (all 27.5 litres of it) and put a chassis around it. He put a beefed up Borg Warner AT on it (stated blandly that no MT could take the torque). He was reportedly timed on an Autobahn doing 208mph (or was it 308). Apparently that time RR also bought their trannies from BW and his business was servicing RR transmissions all over Europe.

sgiitk2009-05-08 07:22:57

I do remember he registered it as an RR (RR were not pleased). It had an RR front grill, with a Mustang tail. I remember one cop stating that he gave chase in a Jag, had the foot flat on the floor, and all that he saw were tail lights fading in the distance. They had to radio the fuzz ahead to stop him.

It is rather old 'mid 1970's I think). So you can see I am a bit ancient myself.

sgiitk2009-05-08 09:37:53