AjayY

Need advice - new learner

Hi all,

I am a new learner on Indian roads. I have driven cars in U.S., but those are automatic and I am not that much familiar with the gears and clutch systems.

However, I have joined a driving school here, and have been learning from last 4-5 days on Santro.

Now, I have a budget of around 3.5 lakh, and I want to buy a new car (and not second hand).

Based on my budget constraints, there were 3 finalists : wagon-r, santro and chevrolet spark.

Based on features, my personal opinion is that Spark is a bit ahead of the other two. However, I am not that convinced about the space inside Spark. (remember, I have not had the test drive yet, since I am still learning to drive on indian roads).

Please help me sorting out my queries below :

1) what is the difference between the space inside the 3 cars, especially the rear legroom and width.

2) is Spark a good bet, in comparision to the other two?

3) As I am learning on santro, would the gear system and clutch be very different in spark?

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful replies!

I see you have left out the i10. I will rate the i10 - Kappa as numero uno. Kappa stands for the new series 1.2L 'Kappa' engine. Also,  if you can stretch your budget a bit then the i10 Kappa-Auto will also be in range.

Hello sir,

Thanks for the reply. However, I can not stretch my budget above 3.5Lakh (10K or so might be stretched for accessories etc).

i10 Kappa has great reviews, and looks lovely, but for now, it seems out of budget for me.

The Spark looks good but is not very popular when compared to the other two. I would rule out the WagonR - too boxy for my taste.I have a Santro since 2005 and am quite pleased with it.

The Wagon R has the most interior space amongst the options that you mentioned - the Santro is almost as good. The spark feels cramped in comparison.

The spark is an excellent option (especially since you don't pay anything towards service for the first three years thanks to the current offers)

The gears and the clutch are exactly the same on all three cars.

Well Spark is the best bet and you can really get the LT version as dealers sweeten the deal to remove excess stocks .The maintainance warrenty is good and can also be had for free . Have a look at the Astar too its has a really peppy engine .Avoid Santro and WagonR they are too outdated.

If you are looking at petrol cars you can look at the Vista range, more space that the 3 you mentioned.

Other that this Spark I would go for, good deal, good maintenance package too.

Hi all,

Thanks for the useful suggestions...

Anijog - I have heard that tata petrol cars do not give good fuel efficiency, and are not that reliable. Is that true? Also, what is the price range for this? Actually, I had not looked at tata cars because of above mentioned reasons.

Ajay, Vista Safire has Fiat Petrol Engine and Vista Quadrajet has Fiat Multijet Diesel Engine. Both deliver nice FE. Tata Claims Petrol FE of around 15.6kpl and Quadrajet FE of around 20+kpl.

As Safire has Fiat Engine, you can rely on it.

The Price of Vista Safire Terra (Base Model) is 3,39,068/- as per Tata Motors Website for Gurgaon (your Hometown).

I don't know whether it is Ex-showroom Price or Onroad Price.

There are Four Variants Terra, Aqua, Aura, and Anniversary Edition.

Terra is                      3,39,068/-

Aqua is                      3,61,271/-

Aura is                       3,85,405/-

Anniversary Edition is 4,14,756/-

http://www.cars.tatamotors.com/buy-tata-car/get-price.aspx

Also currently there is Offer on purchase of Tata Passenger Cars

http://www.cars.tatamotors.com/20-20offer.aspx

If you buy any Tata passenger car between 5th May to 27th May, you stand a

chance to be one of the 20 lucky ones to drive it away for free. All

you need to do is enter this contest and answer 4 simple questions and

fill in a slogan. You also get assured cash benefits up to Rs. 50,000/-

Hi Sudeep/Anijog - thanks for bringing the vista in consideration.

Now, based on the features, it is best to go for aura-saffire.

Which would cost around 4L on road (compared to 3.5 on road for spark).

So, what do you suggest to choose between the two?

Indica has better space, spark has better finishing.

I am not too sure about the engine of the two, and the mileage difference between the two.

May be someone who drives or has experienced the 2 can help here.

I have heard that the finishes for vista are cheap and are there are gaps in between panels as well.

Please help!!

It is becoming more of a confusion now :-)

From your earlier post i found you gave space priority in that budget, so suggested the Vista. I don't see problems with Indica. You should get decent average @ 15 Kmpl depending on your driving style, geographic conditions blah, blah... I never bother with FE, there a too many variables. The word average it self explains it all so the max and the min figures quoted and if it is something in between is all I consider.