anijog

DIY (DO IT YOURSELF)

There are number of things on a car or a bike which can be done/modified by you.

You may have got in to a situation were your car was rear ended by some two wheeler. Usually if it is in the center of the rear bumper and it goes in, do you know that you just need to bend down and get your hand behind the bumper, as some one to press the sunken end firmly with a soft cloth and at the same time pop it straight by pushing it from the inside. The bumper will pop out cleanly without any damage to the surface or paint.

I did it on my Santro, I was amazed that the bumper regained its original shape with out deformation and any paint flaking.

I have noticed many cars with cracked rear lamps if you don't take quick action the lamp reflectors will gather dirt immediately and you will have to go for a immediate replacement.

If you do not want that the moment the glass cracks or splinters, if possible stop and collect all the cracked pieces puzzle them together on a clear cellotape and match the lines of the crack on the lamp and vola!! your lamp is almost original. In case you cannot, If it is the red color portion broken shape a clear red coloured plastic sheet matching the broken area can be cut and stuck to the sticky side of the cellophane tape and then cover the broken area with tape, similarly for amber colour and no need for the plane reversing lamp. make sure the lamp surface is clear for the tape to stick for a considerable period of time.

Windsheild wash setting. Use a U pin to adjust the nozzle angle for proper spray area, there are usually 2 nozzles whos spray angle can be adjusted.

Bonnet setting - There are 2 or four rubber posts on the frame where the bonnet sits you can raise or lower these rubber post by turning them in or out to adjust the flush seating of the bonnet.

Super glue and Feviquick are great to quick fix plastic things in the interiors.

Use Tennis raqket hand grips to make your own steering wheel grip, the finish on them is so good that you get a very grippy steering wheel!!! Be sure to stretch them while turning them around the wheel and over lap a little bit beacuse of which they will stick fast, the ends can then be taped cheaper and more effective grip!!!!

yea!! When you pull them, they should come out!! And when you let them go, they should go back into the slot!! Also, most seatbelts, atleast modern ones will lock if you jerk them hard.

Another DIY - When on a holiday(>>10 days)

When your car is not in the shade and parked for a long time use a white fabric to cover the entire dashboard to reduce pastic detoration. keep the wiper blades up, if you have a car cover remove the blades, pls mind the metal of the wiper arm should be rubberbanded with a sponge so as not to damage the glass.

Remove the red +ve terminal off the batt contact.

Fill in at least 5psi excess air in the tires and cap the valves so that they don't sit and damage the tire shoulder.

For our unique conditions keep a rat bait in the engine area!!

Is there any DIY trick to check if the seat belts are working?

*drive onto an empty stretch of road,making sure there are no other vehicles around!

**wear your seat belt drive upto 50kmph and slam the brake bringing the car to a suddden halt.

***if after that your face,chest,knees,legs etc. are still intact it will mean that your seatbelts are doing their intended job!!

Hey... Great topic. But no one really contributing. Where are the gurus?

You have a lot to contribute in here; like flushing out oils, changing

filters, headlamps(though these may sound  basic to u),cleaning the p/w assy, etc...

Good luck with the experiment' date=' hope it just locks the belts!!.
Please remove every thing in your shirt pocket before you try suggested stunts!!![/quote']

HEHEHEEHEEEE!!smiley36.gif

Hey... Great topic. But no one really contributing. Where are the gurus?
You have a lot to contribute in here; like flushing out oils' date=' changing filters, headlamps(though these may sound  basic to u),cleaning the p/w assy, etc...

[/quote'] just ask dear and we will answer!!smiley2.gif

all though our suggestions and advise may not always be appropriate or sane!!smiley35.gif

@DARXIDE
Will it lock by braking? any ways will try it....

ok ok ,on a more serious note.

a safe way to check if you seatbelts work_

*sit in the car ,

*fasten seatbelt,

*firmly grip the belt where it crosses your chest area and give it a sudden quick tug.

*the belt should lock up at this point and not unlock unless you release it.

this is one way of checking of the locking mechanism of the seatbelt is functioning...although it is not a 100% reliable indicator if the equipment is fully safe and functional

Ok. Getting down to more serious Stuff!!

Alot of people would love to have a car with a BLACK HOOD.

So here is how you do it.

STEP 1

Select the area that you would like to paint. In this case, We will consider the Hood.

The most important thing that has to be considered is that the area that is to be painted should not be dirty or should not be damp.

Make sure that all Bird Droppings have been removed.

Make sure that there are no stickers on the application surface.

Take some Petrol in a bottle.

Take a cloth and dip it in the petrol.

Clean the area with the petrol soaked cloth.

After the whole area is properly cleaned, CLEAN IT AGAIN!

Now soak ANOTHER cloth in water and clean the smae surface.

The Water soaked cloth should just be damp and not dipping with water.

Clean the Surface vigoursly.

Clean the entire area with newspaper.

Do Not Clean with a cloth as it will leave strains.

After you are done cleaning the surface, wait for a while.

Now we get to the part of actual application.

Buy some masking tape from a local hardware store.

Tape out the section you dont want the paint to be on and then put at least two layers of newspaper on it.

Remember, If you get paint on unwanted sections, it will be difficult to remove it.

Take a can of Spray Paint.

Shake it vigourously.

Try applying it on a wall/paper. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PAINT ON THE SURFACE YOU HAVE SELECTED.

Now you are ready to paint. Remember, never directly spray on the surface.

Always start from outside the Selected surface and make your way to the selected surface. Move your hand in a flowing movement from Left to Right and Back.

NEVER RESPRAY IN SUCESSION.

Make sure the area has been properly covered with paint.

Remember to give a second coat.

Wait for atleast 10-15 minuites before you unmask the area.

Here is what i did to my car.

I started with this.

originalzcj.jpg

First, i Painted my hood Matt Black.

28110d1215718471t-do-yourself-thread-hoo

28112d1215718471t-do-yourself-thread-mat

Then I proceded to paint a part of the front side fenders.

fccciv.jpg

I then painted a Part of Rim to give it a chrome lip look.
28114d1215718471t-do-yourself-thread-rim
28115d1215718471t-do-yourself-thread-rim

TIME SPENT:
Hood-About an hour
Fenders-Around half an hour
Rim Lips- Five hours.

COST:

The Matt Black Can costs 200/- and the chrome/alluminium Can is around 275/-

Nice work Cyrus - did you consider black vinyl before trying this on the hood ?

I've been considering getting myself an air compressor and a spray paint gun to try out some DIY paint jobs.

But getting the right finish is not easy - I've tried with borrowed equipment once (when painters were doing the interiors at home - they'ed leave the equipment and be gone at nights) smiley1.gif The old refrigerator that I tried this on has a somewhat splotchy but gleaming finish.

@Luukie - what specific information are you looking for ? I do oil and filter changes on my cars a lot (even greasing - not applicable on todays cars but the old fiat's have a zillion hard to reach nozzles that need to be fed grease).

This particular car was dismantled for parts a while ago. But i used it for around 7 months, and even during the rain. Sometimes, especially if something fell on the car, say fruits or branches from the trees, the paint would slightly come out. But recoating is a simple 30 second job. And the best part is, that because it is matt Black, there is no patchiness.