krace

Used sedan at 2 lacs???

Hi buddies,

Finally I've sold my XETA at 2.4 lacs to one of my colleague.. Quite satisfied with the deal.. Car is still with me.. It may part from me after some 15 days once I receive full payment... Now the thing is, I NEED A CAR.. My budget is little low now as I dont want to go for any loans in this time of recession and Myself being in IT Industry smiley18.gif. My budget is 2 lakhs and I'm looking for a decently used sedan.

My prime requirements are

- Decent Maintanance costs

- Must be reliable

- Must be a petrol engined.

- I do only long trips with my car. So it should be little powerful and

fun to drive

Considering all the above requirements, Only two options comes in my mind considering the budget. They are 1) hyundai Accent 2001-2002 models.

2) Ford Ikon - 2004-2005 Models.

Now, Please pour your suggestions.. Am I going in a correct way?

Accent and Ikon owners, Please tell me whether Ikon or accent will satisfy my needs.

And, Please let me know if anyone knows any good cars for sale as I want to pick a car from known circle in chennai..

BTW,

The X6 in our forum logo looks quite stunning... Jus love it.

krace2009-05-17 15:04:12

well congrats on your sale and good to see you after a long time krace

anyways getting back to topic

i think ikon is the better choice though old ikons had exorbitant spares so do think about that

accent is more of a comfort car not a drag racer

in 2 laks u can see a esteem or even lancer

There's a high chance to get a good Ikon, but make it is "good" because spare prices & maintenance is pretty high.

Edit: Good to see you too Krace!
speed2009-05-17 15:28:42

@ Archit & Speed, smiley1.gif Feeling good on seeing you again buddies.. Thanks for the suggestions....I'm planing to see a friend who is a car dealer. I'm visiting him just to get an idea on the current used car market...I'll get more details tomorrow...

Old Honda City's might be good option , but very tough to get at that budget. Go for a Accent. Safer with A.S.S. . But how long you planning to keep the 2nd hand car for? If you could stretch your budget a bit..you could find a used Baleno too. Choose one of these three - OHC, Accent and Baleno- Butt i doubt if you ll find them at 2 lacs. You should be ready to shell out 2.5-3 IMO

I would suggest Fiat Petra 1.6 . It is reliable, petrol engined, powerful and great fun to drive. You would get it at a price much lower than your budget of 2 lakhs. Maintenance costs are not high but even if you think that the maintenance costs are high, you can utilize the money you saved by buying a car lower than 2 lakhs. It would be the best bet.

Consider the following link, should not be very far from your place.

http://www.carwale.com/used/CarDetails.aspx?car=S41688&model=9&priceFrom=100000&priceTo=200000&city=176&dist=1000

nim12esh2009-05-17 15:41:52

I think the best used car suited to your requirements would be a used 2003-2004 Maruti Esteem LXi or VXi. The best place to hunt for used Esteems are Maruti True Value Retail outlets. The cars which  are sold in True Vale Outlets are marginally higher compared to Individual seller's price but you get throough service history of the car, new paint job done, all parts chcked and changed if any, and I year free servicing. Also The cars sold at True Value are thoroughly refurbished. The maruti esteem is one of the best sedans available in that price bracket and its a very good performance car along with good fuel efficiency.The free revving 1.3Litre 85 bhp engine is superbly efficient and can make Ford Ikons, Hyundai Accents, Fiat Petra, Honda City Zx's run for cover due to its outright performancesmiley2.gif. Its a very fun loving car to drive and driving position is simply best in class.I personally like the Type 3(facelifted one) model of the Esteem and I would have had bought a new Maruti Esteem VXi if it hadnt been discontinued since December 2007.  Since its a Maruti you cant go wrong with Esteem because its maintenance and servicing are very much  wallet friendly unlike cars like Hyundai Accent, Ford Ikon, Fiat Petra. Go for it man.

MARUTI TRUE VALUE( CHENNAI) DETAILS:

Address:
Lattice Bridge Road
Adyar
Chennai -600020
Landmark: Near Adyar Pizza Corner
Phone: 044-42030677
Mobile: 9952000096

swiftvxi062009-05-17 15:56:04

What a coincidence. Just today i had searched for second hand cars in Chennai only. Mahindr's first choice has some pretty good cars in my opinion

Here is the link that compares the cars that suits you the most. Or else search the site for more. My choice would be the 2002 fiesta sxi

http://mahindrafirstchoice.com/compare-cars.aspx?dmid=331|907|905|906

Hi rahul. what I need to correct you is that in 2002 Ford didnt launch the Fiesta. It was launched in November 2005 in the Indian market.Pobably you are referring to a 2002 1.6 Ford Ikon SXi.

Krace, you really had very good deal for Indica XETA.

For your new purchase, you can think for Honda City 2000-2001 (Old Look) , 1.5 VTEC with Original Spoiler and Alloys. It is a great car to own and still look great.

It may be available somerwhere in between Rs.1.75L to Rs.2.25L.

thumb-honda-city-vtec.jpg

8_5_2009_12_29_3525_VoYaGe069.jpg - Picture for representation purpose only.

@ Buddies CYRUS43,karanraheja,nim12esh,swiftvxi06,rahul1810,tejasmehta990 and rssh,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.. I was not able to make a visit to my friend's place yesterday as we were requested to reach home as early as possible because of the news about LTTE Leader's death. Will make my visit today and update you about the visit..

BTW, I came to know about one Accent from Sulekha.com. Its a 2001 July model, with 28000 kms in Odo, GLX Topend with ABS, Single Owner. Quoted price is 2.15 Lacs.. Friends, let me know your comments on this car. Shall I consider this car?

@swiftvxi06, Esteem is indeed a good car buddy.. But I'm worried about its rear suspension and I'm looking for a car which will spend most of the time in Highways.Somehow, I think Esteem will not satisfy my needs. Only option I could consider from Maruti is the Baleno. I hope you could understand my requirements once I said about Baleno..

krace2009-05-19 02:54:15

I feel, with some bargaining, it's a steal.

You are getting Top End Hyundai Accent with ABS so whats more you want in sub 2.0 L.

Just go for it after regourous testing and verifying servicce history and owner's driving habits and some information about his /her daily driving routine of Hyundai Accent.

Although Accent 1.6 with ABS and alloys will be great, but try searching for used Honda OHC, any one like 1.3/1.5/1.5 Vtec, you cant go wrong with anyone and Honda is best when long term reliability is concerned, its got good build quality, very good ride and handling and superb comfort and also a smooth and refined engine..Search for a good conditioned one, i have 2003 H.city 1.3 and still feels like new....

Although Maruti and Hyundai are reliable, they will not give you the feeling of Honda...
bluesapphire2009-05-21 05:24:45

I think Accent glx version is a dohc engine and not the common sohc

engine that comes with the new ones even today. When I was in the

market for a used car, I was advised not to go for the dohc ones as

engine spare prices could be on the higher note comparatively.  But not

sure on this though.

Don't go for sedan's at that budget, coz they may become 'upkeep' heavy in the long run. My suggestion go in for a well kept Santro/Alto, that will also come with peace of mind and less maintainence.

I have an Accent 1.6 DOHC with ABS 2004 without Alloys and the First Choice dealer quoted about 3.4 to 4.0 lakhs for it as it has run only about 31,000 kms and is in superb condition and there is a spoiler and also a Pioneer 2 DIN music system and we also are thinking of changing the steering wheel and get a i10, i20 magna steering wheel.

@Sparsh: if you have been offered the amount you quoted it's fantastic for a 5 yr old Accent, I sold my 6yr old Accent GLS in 2005 end for 2.25 lakh's. Sparsh are you sure? I feel it's a bit too optimistic. New Accent retails at around 5.5 lakh's otr.

Yes, he quoted a minimum of about 3.2L but he told that the accessories shot the value quite higher.

And I think Accent has a best in class resale value.

Buddy the value quoted by is even more than what Honda city will retail..I cant belive, OHC anyday has better value than accent..