ssiddhesh

Alto battery life

I have been the owner of a Maruti Alto LX since Dec 2006. I got a paid servicing done in mid-February. A couple of days back, it refused to start from ignition. This was when the vehicle was in running condition almost every alternate day, and was serviced just around 3 months back. I checked the battery electrolyte levels and they were way below the minimum mark.

Is it possible that this was missed during servicing? I called the Maruti service guys and they say the battery has

discharged from use, will not give sufficient power draw for ignition

and will need to be checked. They are not ready to accept that it was a servicing fault.

What is the average life of a factory-fitted Maruti Alto battery? My car is equipped with a central locking system and power windows (front). Will they have any effect on the life of the battery?

Battery life can be anywhere between 2.5 - 5 years. Depends on your charging system and regular electrolyte level checks.

Most service centers don't check the battery at all as part of regular service (why ? smiley5.gif go figure).

Its best to get the battery checked at a battery shop (they usually do it for free) every 6 months or so - even for the maintenance free ones.

@ssidesh: I fully dittto dtandon's observations. You have had about 3-1/4 years from your battery. A decade ago we used to say that anything above 2 years is a bonus, now probably it is more like 2-1/2 to 3 years! I would suggest you get the battery checked to confirm that it is kaput, and go for a maintenance free one with a 3 (or 4) year warranty.Incidentally a car which does a lot of mileage may have its battery last longer!

sgiitk2009-05-19 09:26:17

Yes i also agree with above posts since I also own a 2008 Maruti Alto LXi (Celebration Edition) and my car is also equipped with front power windows(MGA Original). I always check battery electrolyte every 2-3months at local Exide battery shop and dtandon is right, Maruti service stations most of the time dont check battery at all. I think get your car battery checked at an authorised Exide shop and  buy a new Zero Maintenance Free battery.

Siddesh, I would advise to top up the electrolyte level in your alto up to the maximum mark with distill water and use it for some more time after getting the Specific Gravity of each Cell checked. This will give an idea about the Health of Each Cell.

Keep Checking the Level every 2-3 months if the car is regularly used or once in month if the car stands more than run.

Hello

My Santro OEM battery has lasted for 4 years, 2 months and still going

strong. Never once had an issue, I usually drive for around 25 - 30 km

a day and couple of times in a year on very long trips.

One thing that I follow is, I never switch off the car at traffic

signals if the wait is less than 2 minutes, I also avoid switching off

the car at small pitstops (4 - 5 minutes) incase someone else is

staying back in the car (mainly due to the reason that I use A/C all

the time, and it's kept running incase wifey and kids are in the

vehicle).

Thanks

Have a nice time  head