autowoman

Indian style driving

Drive abroad for over a week and come back here and you realise what a disaster it would be if you put a batch of our drivers onto a motorway or an autobahn.

Someone already wrote about headlight etiquette, but really what etiquette do people on our roads have.

Rearview mirrors might as well be removed no one uses them. Wing mirrors are meant to be folded away and kept scratch free. Indicators are never used.People drive in the wrong direction if a U turn is too far. This too in the extreme right lane of a highway. Its one big merry video game!!!! Free for all.

Not only the drivers the pedestrans are a bigger menace . Not to mention cabbies that park only at junctions making it impossible to turn.

With more cars on the roads each day and faster cars getting into the hands of everyone.....liscensing authorities and traffic police need to wake up and smell the ...shall we say brakes!!

Its about time drivers in India learned how to drive.

Interesting read but Im of a little diff. viewpoint here, I think a person who's driven successfully in India, is adept to drive even in Hell! Whereas, bring an Autobahn driver to Chandni chowk types area & won't have an iota of an idea!

On a serious note, driving is direction less on our roads, there's hardly any effort from public or Govt. to streamline things. Its an unruly mess on the roads & no one seems bothered! Consolation being, "while in India, do what the Indians do" & live in peace! Try going against the system & the system would devour you!

Prime concern in our Country is commuting/reaching from Pt A to B, reaching safely/lawfully/rightly, etc. are no priorities!

Even seeking pleasure out of driving is on limited minds.

I don't see anything changing, call me pessimistic, but I prefer living in reality!

I agree with speed that nothing is going to change the Indian mindset related to driving.

We are comparing two different cultures here. Driving in advanced economies is different due to the following reasons.

1.City, well planned.

2.Roads, too good to be true.

3.Lesser population = Lesser vehicles.

4.Law abiding citizens and hefty fines.

5.Strict laws and Law enforcers.

I cant think of any other reasons which result in better road etiquette

displayed abroad.

I differ on one point though, Person who drives well in India would find it very difficult when he drives abroad. We would be so used to all the wrong mannerisms that we feel that they are the right things to do behind wheels.

Believe me, this is my personal experience. smiley3.gif

Interesting topic - here's my .02 Re's -

Everyone on India's road's has just one though running in their head - "I have to get from A to B, I don't care about anything else".

Things elsewhere are very different. A few years ago - I rented a car in California and had to drive a distance of about 250Mi from San Fransisco to a smaller town in the interiors. Needless to say - it was the first time I was driving in another country. Given that fines (tickets) in the US are costly - I was apprehensive about driving there.

But the way the traffic was organized - it was actually bliss driving in a big place like SFO. I did a lot of driving in the one month that I was there(without a ticket) and then it was back to India and I brought my new driving habits with me -

- pedestrians crossing the street have the right of way

- you actually stop at "stop" signs on intersections (bangalore has a few of these now)

- no honking

- no cutting across lanes

- no speeding

Reality bit pretty soon - I realized within the day that my new found driving habits had to go. The never ending stream of jaywalkers means that once you stop for them, you wouldn't get moving anytime soon. And to add insult to injury - I got rear ended by a bike when I actually stopped at a stop sign on the ring road.

Its a jungle out there (our roads) only the fittest survive - and things can't change until someone enforces things seriously (instead of just using traffic "laws" as a way of earing chai paani).

I remember as a high school student I was with my uncle. He had imported a Chevy Impala and was posted in Patna. I inquired whether a LH drive car was a problem. His answer that in India you do not drive on the left or right, but wherever there is space - the case rests. This was over 40 years ago!

I agree with speed, Indian drivers can drive any where in the world!!, the logic being if you are able to manage such tough conditions here other places are a piece of cake!!

Frankly it is not the road conditions but the implementation which is a problems, get some strict officers on board and hike the fines by 300% and you will have a stream line, I guess implementation or the lack of it, is the biggest hurdle, some sort of incentive needed for these officers. The wrong incentives we are pretty much aware off, coming to the end of the financial year you see enforcing agencies on a major enforcement drive raking in the moolah, confisticating vehicles and fining people at the drop of a hat, rest of the year it goes to sleep.

It must be only me who had driven for about 10 years in India(Bangalore) and was scared to take my car on to the Sydney streets!! Or is it the Sydney drivers?

smiley13.gif Hmmm.. Can i have any member who is a experienced driver in India but found it difficult abroad comment on this?

I agree with speed' date=' Indian drivers can drive any where in the world!!, the logic being if you are able to manage such tough conditions here other places are a piece of cake!! [/quote']

Driving elsewhere is not "piece of cake" - its all about how adaptable you are.

Its hard to forget years of "indian driving" (the me first attitude) and behave like a sane, courteous driver behind the wheel of a car elsewhere in the world.

I have driven in the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland. Holland and Belgium, and still hold an EU license. I can state once you have driven in India, if you are willing to be a bit more understanding and less aggressive you can drive anywhere.

sgiitk2009-05-20 09:47:41

I agree with speed' date=' Indian drivers can drive any where in the world!!, the logic being if you are able to manage such tough conditions here other places are a piece of cake!!

Frankly it is not the road conditions but the implementation which is a problems, get some strict officers on board and hike the fines by 300% and you will have a stream line, I guess implementation or the lack of it, is the biggest hurdle, some sort of incentive needed for these officers. The wrong incentives we are pretty much aware off, coming to the end of the financial year you see enforcing agencies on a major enforcement drive raking in the moolah, confisticating vehicles and fining people at the drop of a hat, rest of the year it goes to sleep. [/quote']

not so true.....one has to get used to the sysytems as well....Initially becoz we are so used to no one stopping you tend to stop at a round about when you dont need to. That confuses everyone else. Also at a a junction....we're not used to right of way and we stop abruptly if we see something coming along. It takes getting used to that the car coming at a good nip will stop to let you go!! So we too have to learn to adapt and when you do get on the motorway....how many will use the indicator??

its not force of habit for us...so we can be a menace too!!

and though Indian drivers may be able to drive anywhere in the world....will any of the original drivers of that country survive if we unleash this bunch on them is the question!!!!! Also I disagree about road condition, circumstance etc. If people stopped the attitude of I have to get from A to B and me first and were courteous to other people on the road all situations would improve.

How many times are you blocked in traffic cause someone is trying to take a legit u turn , has gone half across and then no one else will let him thru!! Thats what I mean if one car stopped for 5 secs the traffic wouldnt bunch up!!!!

and though Indian drivers may be able to drive anywhere in the world....will any of the original drivers of that country survive if we unleash this bunch on them is the question!!!!!

There will be carnage on the roads. The nitives will either have a fit, or a heart attack. At best they will pull their hair out.  But the odd person will manage, and also quickly get the discipline.

Some roads have real mixed traffic like the Autoroute de Soleil (Paris to South of France, aka as Autoroute de Sin!) where during vacations the French cars are out numbered by their foreign cousins. One has to be extra careful since driving habits vary from country to country. This is more important than the high number of cars towing caravans.

sgiitk2009-05-21 10:15:49

Let me put this on the record, most of the people who migrate from North India to Western countries/middle east, etc. take up the jobs of Drivers(trucks/taxis). Point to be noted is that most of them are semi literate or illiterate at times!

So, its got got more to do with "adaptive" skills, which almost all possess!

Also, your comment "unleash them" is pretty harsh & demeaning! Indian's have to start respecting themselves before the sign "Indian & dogs not allowed" get removed completely in the said countries!

PS: The no. of people migrating from North India to abroad is sizeable & as most take up jobs of driving(trucks, tankers, taxis), had there been discrepancies, this category of work & visa would have been abolished since long. On the contrary, there is huge demand for such immigrants, which proves the point that Indian's make good drivers everywhere!smiley2.gif
speed2009-05-21 10:24:43

Traffic really must be terrible over there. Saw few films on youtube about it, really is painful to watch!

I've only driven in Belgium, Holland, Germany and every country in between to Portugal.

Driving in these countries was all pretty decent, the route de soleil in France is just dangerous because of the bikes which come popping by every few seconds.

Portugal was amazing how fast they were driving in the mountains, speeding through blind turns and stuff. But I lived, I have doubts I would if I was in India :D

This summer I'll be driving in the UK though, that will take some adapting to drive on the other side!

The French were pretty wild in the 70's esp. around Boulevard Peripherique on a Sunday evening. When I was back during 89-91 the standard of driving had improved beyond recognition.

In the 70's a friend had to go to Italy for field work. Parisians called Romans mad. Romans repeated this for Neapolitans, who in turn said the same for Torino. In Turin the number of lanes at any point depended on the number of FIAT 500's lined up. The story about Italy was - If the light is Green - GO, If the light is Amber - GO, If the light is Red and there is no policeman in sight - GO.

Reminds one of India!!!!

sgiitk2009-05-21 12:21:55

Driven cars in Malaysia, Singapore and Canada.

Malaysia and S'pore adpating is not a problem with RHD, however getting used to LHD in Canada was a one hour drive, after which I merged in to the Xprsway. You have to indicate and by the time you are in the right lane you have to be up to speed, else you are at risk of getting rear ended.

Europe I am unaware off however majorly RHD countries hence should not be a problem I guess.

I have been following this topic and what i need to say is that whether its India or Europe there are many drivers who drive callously on the other side of the road. So why only single out India.!!!!!!!!!! Even i  have seen in Europe where a tractor trailer driver driving a monster18 wheels of steel actually going on the other side of the road in order to take take a shortcut thereby causing huge traffic snarl at an intersection. The most important answer is how we the humans should adapt to any situations in life and drive carefully. If you dont believe it and think that in India only stupid driver's exist then log onto Youtube.com and see the dangerous videos. Last i saw was a Mercedes E-class owner driving in Europe with its front left tyre totally broken and sparks were seen flying and that too he is driving at 70-80kmph and nothing happened..( dont know how he could drive like that!!).

nice topic, always thought of it. I think it's a problem for a average driver to drive abroad and vice versa for a driver from abroad to drive in india.

But obviously we have exceptions on both sides who can drive any where in the world and be the best drivers there.

Sfe ppl. Hope everyone is gud and having fun.

^^^ a little off topic sorry

I have passed my test n got a british licence now, still thinking about the car

options so far:-

lexus 220d

Slk 200k roadster

porsche boxter

BMW 520d

I know none of these cars are nethier in the same price range nor in the same category or comparable to each other in any way, but thats how i am when it comes to deciding on cars.

I will probably decide the car soon now, have already test drove all once. And buy it on my 18th birthday. :)

Cheers

^^^ a little off topic sorry

I have passed my test n got a british licence now' date=' still thinking about the car

options so far:-

lexus 220d

Slk 200k roadster

porsche boxter

BMW 520d

I know none of these cars are nethier in the same price range nor in the same category or comparable to each other in any way, but thats how i am when it comes to deciding on cars.

I will probably decide the car soon now, have already test drove all once. And buy it on my 18th birthday. :)

Cheers
[/quote']

welcome back adi. After a long long time nice to see you back.Do keep us informed about your new buy.

There are a few things that amaze me about us Indians. We drive so badly on the roads that it is not funny. People do not seem to have a knowledge of simple laws of physics wherein there seems to be no understanding of dynamic gaps and how two wheelers cannot be pointed into them. The autorickshaws are even more amazing. So I thought we Indians lacked in sense completely. I have then seen some of my most disorderly friends migrate to the US Of A and become model citizens and drivers. They do not litter, they do not drive badly and started wearing seat belts in India even before they were mandatory. When they visit India today they even wear the seat belts at the rear. When they were living here, they were as wild as wild could get. I thought they were incorrigible. But they have changed. So it seems that when Indians live in India we do not feel it necessary to put sense to use. As yet no one seems to have the answer as to why we are like that.

There are a few things that amaze me about us Indians. We drive so badly on the roads that it is not funny. People do not seem to have a knowledge of simple laws of physics wherein there seems to be no understanding of dynamic gaps and how two wheelers cannot be pointed into them. The autorickshaws are even more amazing. So I thought we Indians lacked in sense completely. I have then seen some of my most disorderly friends migrate to the US Of A and become model citizens and drivers. They do not litter' date=' they do not drive badly and started wearing seat belts in India even before they were mandatory. When they visit India today they even wear the seat belts at the rear. When they were living here, they were as wild as wild could get. I thought they were incorrigible. But they have changed. So it seems that when Indians live in India we do not feel it necessary to put sense to use. As yet no one seems to have the answer as to why we are like that.[/quote']

On our roads we have stray cattle, livestock, dogs, cats and what not, which all many a time move erratically. I have sometimes found stray cattle moving on roads in quite a disciplined and predictable manner vis a vis the humans.

We humans in India are most of the times worse than such stray animals which only tend to distract and risk the traffic movement, but are mostly on the defensive.Contrarily, we humans try to be on the offensive on the roads.

But true, we behave very well when we go to developed countries and abide by their laws.

Shows that we tend to change like weather, depending on the place we are in.