Endless

Using car AC efficiently

Hi guys,

please guide me out over the efficient use of car AC.

for a standard car we have two knobs i.e. one for cooling and another for blower speed.

as far as my knowledge is concerned, I believe blower runs over battery energy hence, don't hamper your car's mileage figures but cooling (AC) does affect and upto 40% in some cases.

so, will it be a good if i put cooling knob at cooler point (lets assume AC has cool, cooler and coolest temp points) and blower at top speed (available 4 speeds).

will this move make any difference in terms of mileage or AC uses the same amount of enery on any mode?

Overall the impact of AC on consumption is up to 20%, though 10% is more typical. Just make sure that you vent out the hot air in the car when you start up. This could be done through open windows or the Fresh Air setting. Also, when driving with the AC use the recirculation setting.

It is common to start with a high blower setting and then go down. With no passengers in the back you can avoid the higher settings, since you may not want to cool the rear. Also, in a hatch having a parcel shelf can help since it saves the load of cooling the boot.

sgiitk2009-05-20 07:47:30

Servicing the A/C radiator and the cooling fins, checking the compressor oil level all play a important part. Check the pollen filter on the A/c at least prior summers.Any choking rubbish should be cleaned, your a/c will work well. Every time your car goes for a wash ask the guy to spray water on the radiator to clean all the stuck insects dust and dirt.

so putting the cooling temp at middle and running the blower at highest will save me fuel in comaprison to putting cooling at highest and running blower at lowest?

so putting the cooling temp at middle and running the blower at highest will save me fuel in comparison to putting cooling at highest and running blower at lowest?

Only modern cars do not have a thermostatic temperature control. Th last one I saw was in my NE118 in the early 1990's. What you are referring to is the hot-cold mixer which runs from Blue to Red. As you go towards the red end you mix is some hot air (using the heater running on the cooling water from the engine) with the cooled air from the AC. The net result is that for the same temperature you are using more cooling, as well as it will take longer.

The only controls you have are the blower speed, recirc/fresh, and the hot mix.  Keep the hot mix at full cold. Recirculate the air, and keep the blower at the lowest comfortable speed.Set up the air direction to only the front (nothing to the feet) and the louvres blowing at you. You have no direct control on the temperature directly unless you have Climate Control. 

To answer your question about maximum economy. The recipe is :

Switch off the AC compressor. keep the knob/slider on full hot with the blower on full. Then even the radiator fan will come on less often. You will be very uncomfortable, unless you happen to be in Ladakh! Best economy guaranteed. 

i think I am not able to elaborate the question or you are in some hurry to reply.

right from the first reply i have been talking about getting maximum efficiency while AC is on. even in last post to i repeated that "AC is on".

getting maximum efficiency with the AC is subject sir!!

i think I am not able to elaborate the question or you are in some hurry to reply.

right from the first reply i have been talking about getting maximum efficiency while AC is on. even in last post to i repeated that "AC is on".

getting maximum efficiency with the AC is subject sir!!

Please read my earlier post: I repeat Keep the hot mix at full cold.

The compressor has only two states: On and Off. The rest is a matter of managing the cabin for minimum air wastage. Unless of course my almost 30 years experience is rubbish.

This is my last post on this topic. Please contact the moderator for further information by PM.

plz don't take it any other way, m not putting question to your experience sir.

i really loved to discuss things with such an outstanding experience.

please keep guiding us.

thnks for your prompt replies

The most efficient way would be to keep the hot cold mix at the coolest(bluest), the fan speed to the lowest, recirculate mode and blowing towards the face, after the cabin temperature has come done to a comfortable one.

This thread seems to be a rollercoaster.

Let me put it this way.....

The most comfort+the Most efficiency will be when you have a sort of a mid way between the Blower speed and compressor.

So if you have 4 blower settings and two compressor settings, i suggest Blower Speed 2 and comp speed 1. Hope that simplifies.

So if you have 4 blower settings and two compressor settings' date=' i suggest Blower Speed 2 and comp speed 1. Hope that simplifies.
[/quote']

Uff... I was pretty convinced. But this one confused.

Whats this compressor speed? Is that something that comes with some high end cars?

Endless your queries seem to be....

Compressor control and blower control in the cabin are of two types one is digital climate control and the other is manual.

Blower control is usually 4 speed it's like your celing fan control 1 means less speed hence less air throw 4 means high speed means higher air throw.

Blower runs on battery

Compressor runs off engine and has hot setting and cold setting in manual, while in digital you need to select the figure 30 means hot while 19 means cold.

So in a manual if the compressor is set at the max blue setting you runner the compressor for a longer time before it cuts off after reading the vent temp.

if you keep the setting at the min of the blue band the compressor will cut off more quickly leading to lower use of compressor thereby leading to more fuel efficiency.

Trust the matter rest!!!

I think talking about the Hot setting now is irrelevant, I am already feeling HOT!!!

thnks anijog for a fantastic explaination.

it means now if i put compressor at the middle of blue strip and blower speed at higest, i would be able to cool my cabin at low cost.

Oh... smiley38.gif The compressor speed you guys were talking about was the red to blue thing. Pretty much to learn...  But the term compressor 'speed' indeed confuses, as it has only 2 modes.. on/off(as put by sgiitk).

Thanks anijog. Well put.

I think the compressor never goes off  i.e. as long as the AC button is switched ON the compressor always remain ON - irrespective of COLD to HOT setting. So, fuel consumption would be same in all the settings as long the AC is on.

Sorry Mr. Manjul, but the fact is different.

The Compressor Turns ON and OFF after every Preset Time Interval to ease off the Load on the Engine. Normally when the Compressor is ON, you will feel sluggishness in Pick up and when it is OFF, the pick up will be normal.

One can hear the Compressor Turning ON and OFF by listening to the Click Sound from the Engine Compartment.