sgp7819

Altis/Civic/Sonata?

I'm looking to buy the Altis or Civic or Sonata - can anybody please advise. Largely for city driving (self-driven), fuel economy not an issue, but maintenance (and spares) cost is. Looking for driving and ride comfort, good interiors and good build quality. I have test driven the Altis and the Sonata Transform - Sonata is a much better driver's car. But none of the Hyundai dealers in Delhi has a petrol Sonata for test drive and I'm looking only for a petrol. Anybody heard any adverse feedback on the petrol Sonata which might explain why it is not available at any of the dealers for a test? Also, any idea about resale value for each of these cars? Other than ground clearance, any other drawbacks to the Civic when compared to Altis (looking to buy the top-end variant for either)?

Best car to suit your requirement would the new Toyota Corolla Altis manual transmission. Resale value will be much better than Sonata Transform.Overall Corollahas more features compared to Honda Civic and it costs less too. So its More features per price...Go for it Dude.........

Sonata is a superb highway cruiser and is the most comfy out of the three as it was meant to compete with Accord and Camry but price cuts brought its price down. It has bad resale but it doesn't matter if your'e keeping the car for more than half a decade.

Why don't you try the TSI version of the new Laura. It is not too pricey, so you can spend your remaining budget in accesories and it is a fun to drive car as well.

Sparsh,

He has mentioned in his very first post that the Maintenance (and Spares) should be minimum and this(these) feature(s) is Sadly not available in Skodas and Volkwagen. So Laura is out of Question.

@SGP

The reason behind Delhi Dealers not stocking Petrol Sonata is Peanuts Resale Value. I doubt the Diesel Variant may be selling in double digits. If this is case with Diesel, you can just imagine the Petrol Variant.

I guess Petrol Variant may not be selling even in single digits.

You should go for Altis since it provides ample features(as you are looking for Top-End Variant).sudeepd2009-05-24 12:13:33

Go for Hyundai Sonata Transform ... it is much luxurious D-segment sedan model .... its driving is comfortable, maintenance is comparatively low ... also its service stations are easily available in smaller towns and cities also .... Honda Civic is also great car for this segment but for its service in smaller towns you may face problems .... for more details about these cars along with its prices in your city you may visit the following link ..... Honda Civic ..... Hyundai Sonata Transform ..... Toyota Corolla Altis zero.gif

Don't consider Sonata, not only it has poor resale but it won't be reliable as Altis or Civic.

Altis is more suited for driving comfort especially in the city, it has more features too and you can't go wrong with it.

Our Altis has done around 9,000 kms and we are very satisfied with it.

My purchase parameters were also same and after much evaluation I bought Altis Automatic in March end. As I drive myself so I find Auto tranny very useful. The Automatic transmission has an ECU for itself, so shifts are super smooth and it adapts to your driving cycle. Interiors and music system are very good and it has a host of extra features over Civic.

I have so far driven over 1500 Kms including a trip of 600 KMs in interiors of Rajsthan on some of the worst roads I have ever seen. The ride and drive comfort were simply outstanding.

It also has very low maintenance with 3 years warranty. Only the oil and oil filters needs to be changed every 10000 kms. Air cleaner Filter & Coolant on 40000 kms and Fuel Filter will be changed on 80000 kms as per Toyota maintenance schedule. Add the legendary Toyota reliability and very good resale value and you have a extremely satisfying car with 'least cost of ownership'.

Sonata will be more of a bigger box but with very low resale value. I cant comment on other aspects of that car, but spares may become an issue in future, due to very poor sale of Sonata.
akj53in2009-05-25 04:20:37

well if you don't care about the resale that much but want cheaper spares and more interior space then the Sonata is good also the neew Transform looks better but it is the diesel which makes it sale ,though the petrol is also very powerful but I think you can go for new Laura but A.S.S is not good but overlall its great.

For the most satisfying ownership experience look no further than the Sonata Transform, should redeem itself if you keep it long enough, either in diesel or petrol format. Luxury car ownership is made afforadable by Hyundai, I have had a petrol Elantra for the past three and half year's and has been a very satisfying experience, service cost's have been next to nothing and have spent only on fuel. It's running super smooth. Sonata is a grossly underrated but great car to own. If you have no hangup's regard's image, then go ahead and buy a Sonata or join the Toyota/Honda crowd, and play safe. Mind you there are great deal's to be had on an "underdog" Sonata.

I would recommend you the new Laura 1.8 TSI. It is the best in build quality, interiors and performance. The Skodas are heavy on maintenance charges, in the lower segments. But as we go up the price band, the cost difference narrows. For instance, the spare part's cost of Skoda Superb are lower when compared to honda accord!! Just go through the spare part price comparison in March issue of auto car india, and you will realise..

If you are still not convinced about Skoda, just in for Altis. It is the next best option, according to me.

Thanks guys. this has been helpful. I'm more or less decided on the Altis now...though I have a nagging feeling that I might end up at the Hyundai dealer when I finally go out to make the purchase (heart still says Sonata!)

Well it is your money and your decision, but I will still say that you will be better off with Altis. Take a long TD of Altis Automatic and I am sure you will be hooked.

Feature to feature the Sonata beats the Toyota hands down.

Great car to own, pls look at a different color the white does not look imposing on the road, it has all the bells and the whistles the Altis lacks, if you observe both the cars side to side you will find the Sonata looks more luxurious on the road, the chrome works, the twin exhaust the richly done interiors, the alloys with fat tires, a important requirement for a large car, the pojector lamps all spell class, I have not even begun on the interiors, you will get better service possibly 1st class because of the car you own, simply because at the workshop you will be some of the few customers with the car In Toyota service stn all altis owners perceptibly are treated evenly no special consideration, frankly Toyota engines and interiors are good but the exteriors which are the 1st visual impact are pathetic, both cars evenly matched, but i.m.o scales tilt towards the Sonata because of overall fit, finish and features.