Sign in to follow this  
cavallino

On the subject of KERS

Ferrari have worked hard to make the F60 easy to drive for Raikkonen and Massa. They've played around with the aero and made the car lighter to try and negate the weight balance disadvantage of KERS. But having the system on their car is clearly working for them as both drivers were making use of it in qualifying and the race at Monaco.

Although the Brawn is still clearly the car to beat in terms of balance and mechanical grip, it isn't entirely down to not having KERS on their car. That car was under development (Honda's motor racing department should seriously kick themselves) for over a year and was designed to use KERS too. But it was to use a much lighter and less cumbersome system than the battery systems that the majority of the grid is using.

When Honda pulled out and took their engines with them Brawn didn't use KERS because fitting it to the Mercedes engine would mean using the REALLY heavy battery system that McLaren is using. The same kind of system that caused a fire at Red Bull's factory.

To get to the point; I believe KERS should not be outlawed as the outspoken Flavio Briatore believes it should be. KERS can be to F1 and circuit racing in general what four-wheel-drive is to rallying; indispensable. F1 being the way it is now, however, most teams spend a fortune fine tuning an inefficient system rather than going with a straightforward solution.

I am guessing this is the reason why Williams kept saying how they're really eager to put their electric flywheel KERS system into use as soon as possible. The system doesn't use cumbersome batteries or a bulky super capacitor (like BMW Sauber). With the maximum output of KERS being doubled from 80bhp to 160bhp next year, the teams that stuck with its development and ran it in their car the most will reap big rewards.

I'm sticking my neck out on this. Now if only the powers that be in F1 stop turning the sport into a bloody circus. If they took the trouble of watching the races the way regular fans do they'd know F1 doesn't need any added drama!

Great review. Ferrari has indeed made their car lighter. And Williams isn't using electric KERS, they have developed a mechanical KERS, which has the flywheel to store the energy rather than the batteries. The developing cost of this KERS is lesser and the problem with the mechanical KERS is that its heavier than the electric ones. Williams has even sold his technology to some national bus service. (Not sure which country

Talking about Brawn GP, I'm not very sure about Honda developing KERS, but the Brawn chassis was never under balanced. If I'm not mistaken the Mercedes engine is heavier than the Honda engine, so the team had planned to add the KERS developed by Honda, they won't have had a real problem, just the need to change the weight distribution a bit. Brawn GP plans to use KERS at a latter stage this year. The weight of the car has been further reduced by 7 kgs from the Spanish with their up going developments as the team developed a new revised diffuser which helps to generated more downforce and the airflow is further simplified.

Williams is using an electric flywheel.It isn't a purely mechanical based system like the one developed by Flybrid that was to be used by Honda. They have done this because they believes it offers the best compromise between a purely electrical system which is difficult to package because of the batteries and a mechanical system that is inefficient due to the energy loss in such a system (sorry I don't know how to insert hyperlink):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04CarbWxX4o&feature=PlayList&p=790F41C277280E18&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

I never said that the Brawn chassis was under balanced. But it would have become so because had they used KERS with a Mercedes engine they would have had to use the same battery operated system used by McLaren which is difficult to package. The flywheel based system developed by Flybrid to be used by Honda was intended to be fitted in front of the engine behind the fuel cell. Like you said, the Honda engine was lighter than the Merc's and would have worked well the system.

Seven kilos already?! That's what Roebrt Kubica lost at the beginning of last year to help the weight balance of his Beemer. But given the performance (and possibly even fuel efficiency benefit) of the KERS system I am not surprised Brawn have started to shed weight to give KERS a run. But I do believe when that time comes, Ferrari and McLaren will pounce on them and fingers crossed, Williams too could join the mix to make it a lively end to the 2009 season.

Honda's unique layout of their KERS device was actually a departure from the way Flybrid had intended their system to be packaged. But in terms of simplicity it definitely beats the battery operated layout.

www.flybridsystems.com/F1System.html

Hmm! yesterdays race was quiet dull as we knew Button was the winner because you literary can't overtake in this track too small. Rubins Barichello made one good start and maintained his second position that with soft compd tyres and is great to see him maintaining it.

About KERS I think there was no really good use for it in Monaco also Ferraris KERS seemed more reliable than Mclaren.

Even though people were expecting that Ferrari will have an advantage at the start due to KERS by the looks of it the softer tyres used by Brawn at the start negated this advantage.

I think if Ferrari had more than six points between the two drivers going into Monaco then they would have risked a strategy call like the Brawns and Vettel (remember Vettel too was on softs and jumped Massa at the start).

The thing that worked against Ferrari the most was their team organization. They messed up Kimi's stop which lead to him losing second place to Barrichello. After that happened it looked like they settled for an 11 point haul rather than risk a move on such a tight track.

Well Kimi missed second position at the start and it wasa going to be exciting only if the time lapse btw kimi and barichello was only 20sec with one more pits stop for kimibut that stop caused him 26secs.

Kers is something like nitro to me and I relate it to it and see that you can only use this much nitro in one lap and its rechargable unlike the empty tanks after nitros goes out.