amjustadreamer

Buying my first car - seeking guidance

Hello people,

I have decided to book a new car in a next month or two..And below are my expectations from the vehicle..Need some suggestions and guidance from you all, as this would be my first car and I have just completed my driving course and need all the help in this world in making the decision..

Budget: Max 4.5 lacs On road

Driving: 70:30 :: Highway:city and should be doing about 1500 kms per month

Performance: Since this will be my first car and the only car I

Vista, though good on space and mileage, it is not good in the area of A.S.S. Tatas are very poor in service. If you are OK with it then go for it. But make sure you get the Quadrajet.

i10 is a good option but 5 people will be tight squeeze.

Wagon- R is too narrow to accomodate 3 at the back. And also its future is doubtful, with BS 4 coming in, it will either get engine replacement or model change. Both are not good, engine change means production engine is no more in a year, the same goes for Swift Lxi. GO for Swift, if you want to take diesel(it suits your 1500km usage).

You need to consider more options or in the list you have to sacrifice some of your requirements. What's your budget?

Being a first time car owner and wanting a hatch, restrict yourself to either Maruti or Hyundai, and go for petrol. Best bet would be either an A-Star or Santro eco, hassle free, good drive, fuel efficient and will slip into your budget. Also give the Spark a try. Wagon R duo can also be a good one except for it's aaw soo familiar 'breadbox' looks, most of here think it's boring, but rest of India think's otherwise and is consistently the second best selling car in India after the Alto.

Being a first time car owner and wanting a hatch' date=' restrict yourself to either Maruti or Hyundai, and go for petrol. Best bet would be either an A-Star or Santro eco, hassle free, good drive, fuel efficient and will slip into your budget. Also give the Spark a try. Wagon R duo can also be a good one except for it's aaw soo familiar 'breadbox' looks, most of here think it's boring, but rest of India think's otherwise and is consistently the second best selling car in India after the Alto. [/quote']
A-star was my choice when i first started to look around for cars,but after reading reviews abt its cramped space and not-so-good boot, i dropped it.
I am looking for newer,fresh models..and want to keep the oldies(though proven) like santro ,wagon R as the last resort.
I dont like chevrolet as a brand..but will do  a TD of spark,since many say its a good car.

Vista' date=' though good on space and mileage, it is not good in the area of A.S.S. Tatas are very poor in service. If you are OK with it then go for it. But make sure you get the Quadrajet.
 [/quote']

Even I've read/heard their A.S.S is not the best around, but is it really that bad to not buy a Vista?
Can anyone who owns a vista share his experience?

Regards.

Even I've read/heard their A.S.S is not the best around' date=' but is it really that bad to not buy a Vista? Can anyone who owns a vista share his experience?

Regards.

[/quote']

It is not that much bad. But as you said, A.S.S. important and you don't want any hassles, i mentioned about it. We have an indica Dicor, in that for changing right side driveshaft under warranty, we made three visists(+ regular service). Three times they changed left side driveshaft smiley7.gif and only on the fourth visit, we took it a bit hard and after investigation they shamelesssly said they have changed the left side one three times. Overall there isn't any perfection in the job.

If you are more careful to point out the mistakes, and haggle hard with them to get it rectified, then you shouldn't be having any problem.

vista is a overall good car and different from other Tata cars. Go for the Quadrajet.Crazy cat2009-05-31 07:41:39

Ya i completely agree with Ravi Sir, First time car owner's should either go for Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai and definitely petrol cars..The best car suited to your requirements would be the Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa Magna or Sportz. Its got a very good 1.2litre engine and its quite spacious and comfortable too. Its got the best build quality in its class and the beige interiors helps to feel that the cabin is way more larger and bigger than it actually is.The i10 is Hyundai's global small car manufactured exclusively only at Hyundai's Chennai manufacturing facility and exported to other countries. Even  INDIAN MADE i10 would enter the US  market this year with the 1.2 Kappa engine So you can understand the quality and reliability of the car....Overall it is India's best small car in its class. Go and  test drive the i1O Kappa. swiftvxi062009-05-31 07:59:07

I would suggest you to consider Ritz too, it's a good car overall with good performance, good FE, will be comfortable too because of the high seats.

Otherwise i10 kappa seems to be your best bet, go for a Maruti or Hyundai for peace of mind.

Hi Amju, go & try the Ritz, both petrol & diesel variants. Diesel might be a little off your budget but look towards the petrol.

Its a new car with adequate interior room, good fuel efficiency & backed by Marutis superior A.S.S.

in this budget with a seating capacity of 5 person....... i think best fit will be i10kappa Sports manual edition, & Ritz petrol...... but if u are looking for (FE) DSL then u have to raise your budget by 30K to 40K. then u can consider Vista & Ritz DSL.. ....

both cars (i10 & Ritz)Petrol  are superb in mileage...VFM.. & Ownership Experience..

but i personally Advise you to go with i10 sports manual edition

As many have said, First time Car buyers should buy a Maruti.

My Advice to you is not to buy a new car. What is the Point on spending 5Laks on a small car when you can get something better for cheaper.

The Second hand market is really down right now and you might get some amazing bargains.

But if you do want a new car, The Suzuki Ritz is the one for you!! And Buy a petrol car, as it suits your running well.

Thanks everyone..

One question why is the suggestion for Petrol so strong? wont diesel engine be more cheaper for a run of about 20,000 per year?

With so many people vouching for i10..Im feeling itchy about it..afterall the only reason I set it below Vista was cos of its poor FE (I read kappa gives somewhere around 13 on avg .)..else it wass my numero uno choice..

Ritz, goto check if it falls within my budget first!

It is not worth going in for a diesel as your running is not that great. You will be spending around 50K more on a Diesel car as compared to a petrol variant. If your running was upwards of around 2000KM p.m. then a diesel would have been a better option.

I agree with Cyrus43. For first time buyer who will practice his driving skills safe bet is to buy 2nd hand car, keep it for 2- 3 years then buy a new car. For new drivers scratches here and there are common.  

Ok, changed my mind..will be holding off buying a new car till december. Will buy a used alto till that time to get good hands on.

Hopefully there should be some new launches by then and maybe I might be able to increase my budget by another lac..

Thanks for your valuable suggestions..

Ok' date=' changed my mind..will be holding off buying a new car till december. Will buy a used alto till that time to get good hands on.

Hopefully there should be some new launches by then and maybe I might be able to increase my budget by another lac..

Thanks for your valuable suggestions..
[/quote']

As Durango Dude has said its better to stick to the Maruti or the Hyundai stable for the first car.The i 10 diesel and the i 20 diesel maybe launched by then. But diesel or petrol you can decide as per merit, likes and as per your needs.