highflier

A good car for highway

Could you experts please suggest a good car for mostly highway use ?

Here is my experience and requirement..  I own a ford ikon 1.3  - Its a good car but at 100+ km on highway -- I feel the car is not built for it, more like I don't feel comfortable with this car.

I am looking for a car which will be mostly driven on higways, Should be really solid at 100-120 km/ph and I have a budget of 10 lakhs. The car should not feel stressed at these speeds.

I know that the civic/laura/corolla are great cars and would exactly fit my requirement, but unfortunately those are beyond by budget. Any suggestions on the same ?

Why dont you consider an SUV if you are going to use the Highway often. A Scorpio should fit the Bill perfectly. And it can easily do the speeds you desire over long distances. 

avoid linea..its not built for highways..

as cyrus said..have a look @ scorpio..

or i wud personally recommend you ANHC..best when comes on performance and handling is also good @ high speeds..

I must say that I am surprised by the Ikon being unstable above 100kph (I presume this is what you are referring to, and not engine power). Fords - Ikon & Fiesta have had a reputation as drivers cars. I find 120kph quite comfortable in my Accent, so thre is something wrong. Have you have the car looked at.

One reason for what you are experiencing may be tyres, esp. if they are under inflated.

@highflier, I'm hearing this first from you. I've heard Ikon being stable at speeds of 140kph.

@cyrus, Is Scorpio really stable at those speeds than Ikon,etc..? especially braking?

You could go for Linea. It'll be very stable. There are many threads on it, check them for more.

Hi Highflier, try the Lowest model of Corolla Altis, it falls inside your budget.

Altis is a good highway car will serve well.

@SG, right Ford's are usually stable at highway speeds, but his is a 1.3, which loses out steam quite early & braking has always been an issue with the Ikon.

@Cyrus, can't fathom the point of suggesting Scorpio for stability!!!smiley3.gif
speed2009-06-02 06:35:19

@ highflier,

As i own a Scorpio, would not recommend that at all for highways enless you buy top end VLX with ABS. When the panic braking is done in Scorpio everyone inside get afraid as there is a loud screech and car skids heavily at speeds above 100.

ANHC and Linea are good options. I own a Linea and braking and stability are extremely good at 140 the max i touched was 155 and car was nicely gripping the road, even in hairpin bends there wasnt a single screech of tyres which am used to in Scorpio.

have TD ANHC too though not at high speeds, its a good car too but my heart just didnt fall for it. Dont think its a VFM at 9.5 lacs OTR. Places where Honda has done cost cutting just put me off. Also i wanted a car with strong body like the octavia and Linea fulfilled it.

The base model corolla below 10 lacs ex-showroom is the stripped down version i think called the Corolla J but then you get the 1.8 for 10.5 OTR. If i were to choose between ANHC and Corolla, will pick up the corolla for 1 lac more or else save 3 lacs by picking up a 7.5 lac top end Linea emotion pack which i did. smiley17.gifcoolboy0072009-06-02 07:01:35

great feedback so far, To answer few queries, yes I have the ikon 1.3.

If you have driven a corolla/civic/laura, you'd know how good these cars feel at these speeds. Somehow I feel the kon 1.3 is maxed out or stressed at 100-120.

I was considering the below cars -- I thought its better to get feebback from you guys

1. Optra Magnum Diesel -- Not sure if it would meet my requirements

2. Scorpio -- The one with ABS -- I've heard horror stories about scorpio brakes -- Not sure if the new 2009 one has fixed these issue and if ABS would sort these issues

3. Innova -- Not sure if this would fit my requirment, I feel its too big for me .

Any other suggestions welcome

A big NO to the verna and city -- More of personal preference.

Comments welcome

@highflyer: You have not spelt out the distance you travel per annum. This will have a bearing on the recommendations in terms of diesel / petrol.

Of the vehicles you have listed I will opt for the Innova and Optra in that order. The Innova has earned a well deserved reputation for 'bullet proof' build quality and comfort. I am not too sure about the quality and long term durability of the Chevy. I will go for the Seven Seater Variant of the Innova.

@ highflyer,

Scorpio with ABS is ok but stability is still a inherent problem. Innova, i find it too big and feel its best for those who enjoy back seat comfort and chauffeur drives.

Optra after this GM fiasco. Will it be a safe bet for 4-5 years. Why dont you consider Corolla 10.5 lac on road base model or Linea, have a test drive atleast unless you are afraid of Fiat man smiley36.gif

A big NO to verna and city-- very good, Verna is now a complete no for me too.

You arent left with much choices now.

Well, out of the list, I would choose the Innova & skip the Optra for now due to GM trouble.

Avoid Scorpio, its highway manners are seriously flawed.

Actually Verna Crdi with ABS is a good choice & so is the ANHC, but as you said they are out because of personal preferences.

New ANHC has got paddle shift in the top-end version , and with exception of Linea 1.3mjd i guess ANHC stands out for mileage. ABS with EBD and Airbags are standard across models in ANHC

I drive a round trip between Bangalore and Chennai every week (700 kms) and once in thrre month my entire family (6 incl 2 kids) goes for a long drive. I was contemplating buying a Scorpio VLX. Currently I drive an Indica turbo.

Can you please enlighten me on the negative feedback of Scopio's highway manners.

Any slab sided vehicle (read SUV) is bound to be susceptible to cross winds. Also, SUVs have a high Centre of Gravity.

You may be better off with a vehicle with a car like profile.

@ Sgiitk,

Totally agree with you. Our accident also happened because of it, on a turn the car skidded went into a gaddha and 3 topples were what happened after that.

We enjoy our Scorpio in the city which has its mighty presence here. On a roundabout everyone stops seeing Scorpio and the torque and power from engine is very good.

Scorpio is good for city drives and to an extent for highways if you dont cross 100 and that too if you have the VLX model with ABS.

For highways drives, one should look at sedans and not Safari/Scorpio, whatever the company does, the body roll is too much in these cars.

at your budget of @ 9 lacs the best bet is the Toyota Altis or you can look at the top end SX4. But to me the Altis will give a quite, cocooned ride in comfort at 3 digit speeds even.

I think something is wrong with your Ikon, it is pretty decent on the

highways. Got a chance to do Bangalore - Chennai a few years back in a

1.3 and it was stable at 100+ speeds. Please check the tyres.

Out of my experience I generally found that European car are far better

at high speeds than the Japs. I have heard people complaining about the

Corolla's and the Civic's high speed manners and personally I would not buy them for mostly highway use.

The Innova is pretty good on the highway and the other cars which come

to my mind out of your choice, are the Fiesta, Linea and the Octavia. The

Octavia's prices have been reduced recently and you could get it in

your budget plus I believe the diesel version gives phenomenal mileage.

hi, madhav from panjim reporting. done some highway driving between panjim and bombay...friends cars that is. cruised on those highways with Endeavour,Civic and accent(different times), all 3 of them have great.

thought the civic was the best though...but hey thats my thought. although i hear the ikon does have a brilliant drive on highways.