kk1511

Query About Engine of My Car

I have Tata Indigo GLS. These days the Engine takes too much time to get heatup.. The pointer also is at 'C' (Cool) on the Engine heat indicator even if I drive for about 3-4 kms.And I can feel it because even if I press accelerator fully, car doesnt pick up... Can anyone tell me what might be the reason behind it and what should I do for a remedy?

Thanks.

As for Engine not Heating up Soon, Read below experience of mine.

I drove our Indigo LS (Diesel) at 1:30 am (Yes you read it Correct. Its 1:30AM) for around 11-12kms, but still the Temp. Gauge did not rise even 2-3 mm. The Gauge Remained at "C" after that Long Drive. OK. I drove the Car very Smoothly-- Not Accelerating Fast but Slowly.

So Don't worry about the Gauge. The Gauge will rise when the Temp of Coolant will start increasing Considerably.

It depends on the Surrounding Environment Temperature.

You mentioned that Even if you press accelerator fully, car does not pickup.

You have Indigo GLS. That means Petrol.

Please mention the Odometer Reading, Last Engine Oil-Oil Filter Change, Petrol Filter Change, Air Filter Change so that we may have better idea about your problem.

Do you feel Poor Pickup when AC is ON or even with AC OFF?

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes, its petrol and the odometer is 78500 kms.with all the filters changer recently .. within a month. Pickup is good when AC is off but i dont feel any drastic change in pickup when the AC is ON.

Open the bonnet.

1. Checking Coolant Level-The Rectangular Transparent Tank near the Right Shock Absorber is the Coolant Tank. See whether the Coolant is within Min-Max Mark. If its Below than Min Top up with Premixed Coolant (available at TASC) or buy Concentrate Coolant available at Automobile shop and mix water in proportion mentioned on that Pack or 50:50 (Tata Recommended). If you buy from outside (i.e. Concentrate), please post here for exact Proportion.

2.Checking Engine Oil Level.

Best Time to Check is before starting the engine.    

Allow the Engine to Cool Down for at least 5-10 minutes if it is Hot.

Park the Vehicle on Level Ground to avoid FALSE Reading.

Remove Dipstick. Wipe the End with Clean Cloth. Insert it back fully. Again remove and check whether the oil level is within Lower and Upper Marks. If not, then add Engine Oil (I guess 20W50).

BTW where do you live in Pune?

I am planning to come next to Pune. So can meet and guide you to some extent if possible.

If i'm not wrong, this is common in Indica and like wise Indigo(As both are same mechanically, save for the boot). i've noticed this in our Indica Dicor and one of my uncle's old Indica NA. At night times or when the temperature is less, the needle stays well below the normal. Once in Indica NA, the needle showed 'C' after a rain(the car was running for about 20kms, before it started to rain). While driving on hills, it shoot up above normal. In Dicor too, if you are in city traffic, it'll show one temp, if you are on highways, it'll show another and night time different.

But i never experienced this in other cars, in any kind of driving conditions.

Hey KK,

i don't think anything is wrong with your car's engine man. Now a days the engine's cooling system are quite advanced. They are designed to keep your engine cool (remember the times when we used to see old amby's and fiat's with their bonnets open standing in front of a dhaba after about just 100 kms of runnimg).

You should be worrying if the engine overheats and not when its running cool.

By the way do check whether your temperature gauge is working!!!! smiley2.gif  

remember the times when we used to see old amby's and fiat's with their bonnets open standing in front of a dhaba after about just 100 kms of runnimg  

I owned Ambys and Fiats for well  two decades - fronm 1969 to 1989 and never had an overheating problem. The main issues there were water pump failure and a clogged aooling system - remember no coolants just plain water. I used to flush out the cooling system once a year, and never had problems of overheating. I have blown a few water pumps in my day, but that is a different issue.

sgiitk2009-06-08 12:19:36