Turbonator

MAJOR Overheating problem with Mahindra Scorpio

Hi,

I own a 2005 model Mahindra Scorpio CRDe .  My car keeps overheating on idling with the A/C on . This happens just after 5 mins of idling. The temp needle rises up right to the extreme end.

I have got the car checked a number of times by the ASC but in vain. The mechanics have checked the radiator fan , the coolent and also the thermostat. In the last service the valve of the thermostat was removed.

Please help me out as this is turning out to be a major problem.

Thanx in advance

In the last service the valve of the thermostat was removed.

Guys, he's already running without the thermostat valve !

@Turbo - does the engine temperature remain normal when the car is moving? How does the temperature gauge behave in city vs highway traffic ?

If the overheating is happening only when you idle (at standstill) then the problem seems to be the lack of airflow. Installing bigger fans and cleaning the radiator fins should solve that.

the problem is encountered only at standstill that too with the A/C on.

Yes the car remains perfectly normal on the move. Low end as well as top end power is the same.

The thermostat valve was removed after the ASC guys had nothing else to do.

Does the problem occur at Standstill with AC ON even after removing thermostat?

What if you turned AC OFF at Standstill?

Get the Radiator Flushed out with Pressurised Water and fit a NEW Thermostat.

Please don't drive without Thermostat. I have a remarkable experience of driving the car with a faulty thermostat which would not open up when the engine is hot and the Engine would overheat and Stall.

So get the Radiator removed from the car. Get it Flushed with Pressurised Water and Fit New Thermostat as well.

When I replaced our car's thermostat and got the Radiator Flushed, my car's overheating problem was solved.Touchwood.

the problem is encountered only at standstill that too with the A/C on.

Yes the car remains perfectly normal on the move. Low end as well as top end power is the same.

The thermostat valve was removed after the ASC guys had nothing else to do.

Does the fan ever come on when the vehicle is started and allowed to idle for 5-10 minutes(please open the hood and observe this after a cold start)?

I see two potential causes -

• Your radiator /AC fan may not be working correctly.
    • This could be due to a faulty sensor (the temperature sensor that switches on the fan when things too hot). Remember - the fan is only essential to cooling at standstill (idle) or in bumper to bumper traffic.  
    • The fan itself could be bad

• Something is blocking proper airflow to the fadiator - new mesh/grill or bumper maybe. You need to clean the radiator fins and ensure proper airflow. Maybe look at fitting bigger/more fans.

The radiator fan is working properly. The car overheats only when the car is idling with the A/C on. The car DOES NOT heat when the car is idling with the A/C off.

I sent the car for servicing today , they checked the thermostat , the radiator fan , cleaned the radiator but the problem WAS NOT CORRECTED.

They said that they did everything they could but the car still overheats!!