abhigtr

jazz worth buying hatch or not

Honda has said 2000 units per month as their target ..I can bet that they will not be able to sell even 500 per month .At max they can reach 300 to 400 units per month.

OK since i am seeing that we all hate jazz so much i am going to put a view of seeing jazz from a slightly different angle.

This is not a competitor to i20 or fabia. What it does is that it provides a big boot in a compact car less than 4 meters. Its for People who are slightly of age say about 50 years or more and have a budget of around 7-8 lakhs. People of these age groups generally dont want to have a sedan because of their size which they feel is cumbersome when compared to the smaller hatchbacks in the country. But then what they get is a car which is not that spacious and has smaller boot which causes them problem while going on their weekend trips.

So here come jazz which has everything that a 7 lakh sedan like Linea, SX4, Fiesta has to offer. Please note it that these 50 year olds dont care about ACC or alloy wheels.

All they see in jazz is a car that is as easy to drive in the bumper to bumper city traffic, carries their luggage with as much ease, having premium feeling, coupled with good service backup and fuel efficient refined engine. The good resale value is just an icing on the top.

Remember you also get 4 years insurance instead of the regular 2 years insurance. That coupled with better fuel efficiency and better resale value of the jazz might just about negate the difference in prices.

Also we will find the real difference when hyundai launches the 1.4 engine. And about the polo i dont feel it will be priced less than jazz bcos polo is a pretty famous car so they will want to encash on the brand value of polo, fabia is a generation old and look at its price, and lastly the TSi motor will account for something.

Lastly ask yourself if features are everything. How many of you would like to buy an SX4 over Fiesta, given that SX4 has more features but fiesta is a better drivers car?

I feel Jazz is more of an alternative to city as it is to i20. It is for those who drive by themselves in the city, but go to those long highway trips, where the boot just doesnt seem to be enough.

What i guess is that it will sell though mildly( bcos of our big car mentallity). I expect around 20000 jazz to be on indian road by june next year.

Hmmm! this reminds me of the hatchback shootout in top  gear in UK where clarkson and his mates got their mothers to take on who will be the winner and Jazz was the one because old people find it hard to fold seats in Renault and vaxuhall but Jazz was practical but not power ful of the lot check this video on youtube its really very funny.smiley36.gif

Honda's JAZZ is a fantastically pacakaged car, the boot space at 399 lts is amazing, ok then the base of the seat goes upright, what MAGIC? then what, manual HVAC controls, no stereo, no Strg wheel controls, 1.2 Lt old Honda city engine?, no fog lamps no assymetrical head lamps, no alloys, no leather on seats so what's the 7 lac price, Delhi price for???

IT'S FOR THE BADGE, hey even Hyundai has a H on the grill.

Go for the GETZ Crdi people at 5 lacs it's a cracker.

I think we are now slowly coming to terms that there may be a market for the Jazz. When is the AT coming?  What bugs me are two things:

1. Honda engines tend to be high revving. So what are the power and torque curves like?

2. Have they upped the service interval to 10,000km or not?
sgiitk2009-06-12 11:27:00

There is no doubt that Jazz will be competing in the luxuary hatch segment. In this segment we currently have Fabia and i20. Also you can expect Grande Punto next week to be the biggest threat.

If Skoda change the engine of Fabia from 1.2 MPV to 1.2 TSI, than iam sure that will become a serious competitor to Jazz and i20.

Also early next year VW Polo will also comes in with the same 1.2 TSI engine. With all these cars in the foray, it will be big task for Jazz to sell 20000 units in a year as projeted.

I don't think that Skoda will get a tsi that fast VW readily said that it wanted to keep its cars above skoda and we can see Crdi engine in Passat but not in Laura or superb.

guys first lets see honda make up to atleast selling 400-500 units a month  ...i dont think honda can cross 60000 in a year too.... and we indians r not fools to buys this car making no sense .....i think when demand is less like how civic hybrid was from 20 00 000 lacs all the way to 13 00 000 lacs so i think the jazz in future might come from  7 54 000 to 5 60 000 in that range ...only the people who r new to buying cars may get fooled by thia honda not us

I stopped by the Whitefield Honda dealership yesterday to have a look at the Jazz - and boy, was I blown out of the showroom; only because of it's sticker price!

The base version on the road costs a whopping Rs 8.6 lakhs in Bangalore.   I laughed out aloud when the sales person said that.

And to top that, he was like Honda always thought of our safety & it comes standard with ABS & Airbags.   I told him to stop bull-sh*tting.   I told him, Honda only thought Indians needed to be safe 3 months ago (with the launch of it's new City).    The previous two generations of the Citys, no matter what top spec you purchased, did not even offer ABS & Airbags as an option.  He had no response to that!

Anyway, getting back to the Jazz,  I was truly disappointed with the back seats as well.   They barely supported half my thighs when I sat there.  The front seats are alright, but, the interiors might not be to everyone's liking.   Paying nearly 9 lakhs, I don't think Indians want to be seen as 'FUNKY'.   And that's exactly what the interiors are like.  Too funky to my tastes.   And then the sales guy was like, sir, this car comes with a 'CD' player (like it's some kind of a favour Honda is doing for it's Indian customers).   I asked him about USB, which is minimum now-a-days, and the anwer was a NO.  Great!

And yes, for nearly 9 lakhs for a hatch & no alloys as well.  Hahahaha.

And he was like, sir, you ONLY pay for the engine in a Honda.  And I was like - WHAT?   Agreed, the VTECs are great, but hey, we're paying for the entire car & not just the engine.   He went on to say, it was just a City without a boot, so, you pay nearly as much.   I told him, the City had a 1.5 VTEC, whereas, the Jazz is 300 cc less, and you want to command a 'City - boot' sticker price?

I was truly amazed by Honda's pricing.  I think it's gone to their heads - that Indians consider Honda to be premium cars.  That's bull-sh*t.   I think we Indians are smarter than Honda for sure.   We always give thumbs-up to the best car that offers an all-round value - includes engine, interiors, torque, efficiency, price etc.  and not just brnad recall.

And the best part is, if Hyundai launches the i20 CRDi with a price tag of Rs 8.2 lakhs (on the road for the top spec), then the Koreans are going to kick some arrogant Japanese a*s for sure!

okay, so the jazz base version costs 8.6 lakhs OTR in bangalore!! so which means you can call the fabia VFM!

While the jazz is a good product, it should have been priced at par with the fabia. Right now i think the base petrol jazz costs more than the classic diesel version of the fabia.. agreed, its a new segment etc, but the jazz will be bought by a person as a second car..who probably already has an Accord or a Superb and just wants something for his wife or something that he can drive around..you see a first time buyer will never go for it, which means honda has already lost 70% of the regular hatch back customers..you could get a diesel linea or a fiesta tdci at this price with similar features..so what if they are slightly longer?

I agree with rahul though, it may be bought by the 50+ couple who have the cash, but do not want flamboyance, at the same time want peace of mind..but how many such couples exist in india? Honda must know by now!

Other than Rahuls comment which lists a possible market segment to buy the Jazz it seems unlikely the common public with around 8L cash to spend on a car will go in for the Jazz. They will look at all other sedan options and other  cheaper hatchback options first.

People with more money than they know what to do with are free to run out and buy the Jazz :-).

Oh it will definitely sell as there are enough people in India with a lot of idle money and who are looking for snob value but the sales quantity of 2000pcs p.m., Honda is talking about, is way too optimistic!! I think they won't even be able to sell half of that target.

But the fact still remains that the Jazz is definitely not worth 8 lakhs! 

The base version on the road costs a whopping Rs 8.6 lakhs in Bangalore.   I laughed out aloud when the sales person said that.

And to top that, he was like Honda always thought of our safety & it comes standard with ABS & Airbags.   I told him to stop bull-sh*tting.   I told him, Honda only thought Indians needed to be safe 3 months ago (with the launch of it's new City).    The previous two generations of the Citys, no matter what top spec you purchased, did not even offer ABS & Airbags as an option.  He had no response to that!

Anyway, getting back to the Jazz,  I was truly disappointed with the back seats as well.   They barely supported half my thighs when I sat there.     And then the sales guy was like, sir, this car comes with a 'CD' player (like it's some kind of a favour Honda is doing for it's Indian customers).   I asked him about USB, which is minimum now-a-days, and the anwer was a NO.  Great!

And yes, for nearly 9 lakhs for a hatch & no alloys as well.  Hahahaha.

And he was like, sir, you ONLY pay for the engine in a Honda.  Indians consider Honda to be premium cars.  That's bull-sh*t.   I think we Indians are smarter than Honda for sure.   We always give thumbs-up to the best car that offers an all-round value - includes engine, interiors, torque, efficiency, price etc.  and not just brnad recall.

And the best part is, if Hyundai launches the i20 CRDi with a price tag of Rs 8.2 lakhs (on the road for the top spec), then the Koreans are going to kick some arrogant Japanese a*s for sure!
[/quote

absolutely thats even what i heard from the sales person when i went to look at jazz and then for its TD.