rameshbabu.n

RTA rules changed with regard to Head Lights ?

Of late, almost all new car owners are NOT BLACKENING a portion of the Head Lights. And, the traffic police guys also are not bothered about this (as against the Pollution Under Check certificate, Insurance Papers, Driving Licence, Registration documents etc.,). Can any one tell, for sure, what RTA rules NOW say about this aspect ? By the way, I have not blackened the Head Lights of my Esteem or Xylo. I wanna know for sure the legal position.

Very simple. the regulation about blackening the lights went out with the RTA of 1989. Strictly speaking, blackening the light is illegal - interfering with a safety system. I am pretty sure the rule in Gujarat about the round blob probably will not stand the test of law either.

Modern clear lamp lights, asymmetric dip lights etc. are affected by blackening in odd (and sometimes) dangerous ways, which was for the simple up and down lamps of yore. For example if you want to play around with the asymmetrical dip light, you should cover the 'wedge' in the lens.  

There are rules about the wattage (55/45W halogen), and also if you are using HID then the high beam must be normal Halogens - as in the Altis.

What if Cops catch in other states (Gujarat or any other state) where Blackening some portion is Mandatory(?)?

I don't think Maharashtra has Rule to Blacken some portion. I am not caught until now even though the Headlights of our Indigos are not Blacken at sides.

What should be the Excuse that I am suppose to give the cops if I travel in other states like Gujarat or Andhra Pradesh?

In Gujarat these rules have not been lifted. A yellow strip on the side of the lamp is mandatory, other states like Karnataka have black spot on the headlamp center. Maharashtra if I recall had a yellow spot on the center, I think in the 2 states the rules may have been lifted, but funnily it is still carried on by Gujarat.

I think in the 2 states the rules may have been lifted' date=' but funnily it is still carried on by Gujarat.[/quote']

Suppose I go to Gujarat for a trip and the cops catch me because our Indigos' Headlights are not having Yellow Strip, then what should I do to avoid fine? What Firm Excuses can I give to the cops to escape from their Fine?

If your car is registered in Maharashtra, It will be ok with the Gujrat police. We have never bothered doing anything like that to any of our cars when we go to our Hometown.....which is in Gujrat.

Thanks Cyrus.

Yesterday Morning, a cop caught the Indigo XL for its Number Plate Fonts which were written as

MH13. AC

So got it changed to

MH13.AC.9798

Also I would like to know, Can we keep the Xerox Copies of RC and Insurance Papers in the car or should we mandatorily keep Original Copies?

Means, If the cops catch for Papers, would the Xerox Copies do the work or Should I keep Original Copies in the car?sudeepd2009-06-14 07:32:16

As far as my knowledge goes, the CMVR(central motor vehicles regulation) states that the number plate has to be in equal font with a width of 2 inches/65 millimeters with the width ofthe lettering or numbers being 10 mm and the spacing between them being 10 mm.

As far as my knowledge goes' date=' the CMVR(central motor vehicles regulation) states that the number plate has to be in equal font with a width of 2 inches/65 millimeters with the width ofthe lettering or numbers being 10 mm and the spacing between them being 10 mm.[/quote']

Precisely my thoughts. With the High Security Number Plates at least this hassle will be history, irrespective of the 'security'. I will not shed even a single tear for people losing once point to be creative.