vinfriend

Maruti 800 patch work advisable?

Is it advisable patch work on M800 body? There is one hole approx. 2" on floor (Letf front legspace) and some other areas ie. above back left wheel also rusted. MAS people advised not to patch work because welding those holes with sheet metal pieces will make rusting to outer side of welding and at last i would have to replace the entire panel. is it true? is it better to replace floor panel than patch work? if so how much the floor panel cost? is it welded to body or nut&blot work? plz help

As for 2" hole in the floor (Left Front Legspace), that should be a drain hole to remove the dust or water trapped under the mats through it.

There was similar hole in our Omni but 1" in the floor towards Driver side as against yours 2" on left side.

We use to remove the Dust that got accumulated over time from that hole.

As for 2" hole in the floor (Left Front Legspace)' date=' that should be a drain hole to remove the dust or water trapped under the mats through it.
There was similar hole in our Omni but 1" in the floor towards Driver side as against yours 2" on left side.

We use to remove the Dust that got accumulated over time from that hole.[/quote']

Yes, there are a totel of  4 drain holes with rubber cap. But these are rusting holes....sure... service people also confirmed it.

Please post some pictures of the affected areas so that we can get an idea.

Did you buy this as a used car or did you buy it new? Also, which part of the country are you from - rusting on a Maruti from non costal areas is unheard off! (unless after a bad body repair job)

Yes' date=' there?are?a totel?of ?4 drain holes with rubber cap.[/quote']You can remove the caps, drain the dust accumulated on the floor under the mats and fit the caps back.
But these are rusting holes....sure... service people also confirmed it.

What do you mean by Rusting holes? If the Drain Holes are rusting, apply paint yourself since no one is going to peep under the mats and also you will save some money by painting it yourself.

Also you mentioned that "above back left wheel also rusted". Please post the pic. of this rusted area, so that we can get the idea of the exact place.

you could do patch work on the holes they are cheaper to do, however make sure that the patch work is coated with red oxide paint on inner and outer surfaces and then apply tar based paint on the outside, use the tar based paint only on the patches not all across the body cause it is heavy.

Now I'm posting the pictures of rusted portions of my Maruti 800 (1991) for your valuable suggestions if I should go for panels replacement or patch work and approx. cost of each. Thanks in advance

No need to Replace any panels. Give it to a good tinker/paint garage...and they will make it as good as new. If replacing the panels was the only option, I dont think any old classics would be restored.