vr.46

Has Nissan lost the plot in India?

Its been quite sometime since i heard about Nissan or its products on sale in India. The last time i checked with "Shahwar Nissan", the sole dealer for Bangalore, i got the Info very reluctantly though from the attendent that hardly 15-20 cars are sold from their dealership per month.

If this is the case all over India, then we would be looking at sales figures of roughly 150-170 per month!

What happened to Nissan's plans? I remember reading in ACI a few months ago that the bosses at Nissan have outsourced their entire marketing & appointing of new dealerships to some company. After that no news at all.

Rumours/News of the new 370Z were floating a few months ago, with even a few pics of the car being tested in bangalore came online. If Nissan is going at this rate, then the Micra will take its own time to come. Without the Micra or even Sentra for the matter, Nissan cannot hope to survive in India just by selling very expensive Teana's & X-trails.

I won't even be 150 because Teana suffers stiff competition from rivals . The X trail is not even known to many and it killed by CRV and outlander . They don 't have any bread butter model they are worst than even VW which came here last year and the dealer and service network never had a growth so it is a let down.

Call it bad luck or simply unoppurtunistic for Nissan, made-over-night companies like ICML are selling their look alike qualis model, the Rhino, & its selling pretty well.

The rhino simply addressed the demand for the shortfall of cheap,hardy, SUV's/pick-up drop vehicles in India, and now every tourist car operator has that vehicle. Atleast thats the case in Southern India.

Well Rhino looks really funny but for beginners like ICML it is a sucess even I have seen many Rhinos in Mumbai .  They are good alternative to the crude Boleros and many big family people have bought it.

XTrail and Teana are not mass market vehicle's. They are niche vehicle's. Xtrail look's pretty docile and has no road presence to speak of. Teana is hardly seen on the road's and with the economic down turn all plan's of expansion must be on the back burner. So don't expect either the 370Z or even the Evo X from HM-Mitusb in the recent future. Both Nissan and Mitsub are not in the pink of health.

The Teana and the XTrail are being imported and that adds a lot to their cost.

The Teana sold 58 units last year while the Xtrail sold 100 units based ont he Autocar report from 1-2 months ago.

Nissan has big plans for India and work in on for their Factory in Chennai to be ready by middle of next year to make small cars like the Micra and also locally manufacture other models.  This was in the news last week or so regarding a whole lot of Sr Nissan leadership being in Chennai to kick off their work on settign up the plant.

Renault which is their 50-50 crosss holding partner has put their plans to use the same plant on hold and will instead us the excess capacity of their existing plant.

Hover was the company to do the marketing and sales in India.

Well new Teana look great but is not a headturner I think poor Fe is something owners don't want also only 4 gears automatic cuts it down but I love its huge cabin and this is the cars for chauffer driven rather than drive yourself.

I don't think they have lost the plot as they would have been well aware with 20 lakhs + CBU's they are only going to be a niche player. They will become mainstream only after their factory in Madras starts productions, till then they will only sell hundreds.

But I do think they are going through tough times after the economic downturn as they are giving huge discounts. My dad was aggressively followed up with and we also took a test drive of the ultra cool Teana as the car was sent to our office. They offered it to us for 19 lakhs OTR whereas their normal price is 23 lakhs OTR, which is a discount of 4 lakhs! So if they are giving such discounts it means they are in hard times. 

Nissan did not read the market properly, its partner/gp company Renault also misjudged.

Nissan hasn't yet built the A.S.S backup across country which is very essential for any company to suceed.

Also, its products wern't competitive enough & failed to arouse consumers interest.

If Nissan is actually setting up its new manufacturing plant in Chennai, why have they not issued any press release as of now. If my knowledge serves me right Maruti talked about commissioning of its new plant for diesel engines, Honda got its rajasthan plant opened by the CM of the state, FIAT did a lot of campaigning about its new restructuring plans, GM india opened up Talegaon plant, VW group (skoda audi) kept talking & updating news about their new plant in Pune... Heck even HM-MITSUBISHI talked about their renewed partnership & management plans. All these served positively in the consumers mind & turned helpful for the respective manufacturers.

By all accounts , either HOVER the new marketing chain appointed by Nissan, likes to do things quitely, or has a bad management right from the start. Nissan better update its product line up in India. Pakistan has the Sunny,PATROL,Teana,X-trail, but also the commercial division vehicles like buses trucks etc of NIssan.

vr.462009-06-13 17:33:49

i dont see any news of a nissan product for the masses in the next 15 months atleast..there may be a face lifted teana which the leela group of hotels may buy and then the uplifted xtrail which again may be sold in single digits. only when nissan launches a car within the 10 lakh bracket, they can be a serious contender in the indian market.

If Nissan is actually setting up its new manufacturing plant in Chennai' date=' why have they not issued any press release as of now. [/quote']

I guess you are not reading the right newspapers, then. I have been reading articles about it in The Economic Times and in The Hindu off and on. Have you heard about the Nissan-Renault-Mahindra joint venture? Mahindra subsequently pulled out of it a few months ago. I guess you have also not heard of Carlos Ghosn's (Head of Nissan) visit to India last year for this plant.

I again reiterate that Nissan never intended to be a volumes player till their plant was commissioned. How can they be with two models costing 20L + in the market!

As mentioned by 5u3zEr0 they are very keen on their plant in Chennai and going full steam on it. There was a detailed writeup about their Sr Exec VPs attending the factory construction work kick off etc last week or so.

Renault plans are delayed but only since they have an existing plant that is not fully utilized. They will share the Chennai plant with Nissan when there is adequate demand ( if there is :-) ) .

Their small cars have to be attractively priced and feature laden to make a mark in India and not to forget give great performance with great mileage as well.

If Nissan is actually setting up its new manufacturing plant in Chennai' date=' why have they not issued any press release as of now. [/quote']

I guess you are not reading the right newspapers, then. I have been reading articles about it in The Economic Times and in The Hindu off and on. Have you heard about the Nissan-Renault-Mahindra joint venture? Mahindra subsequently pulled out of it a few months ago. I guess you have also not heard of Carlos Ghosn's (Head of Nissan) visit to India last year for this plant.

I again reiterate that Nissan never intended to be a volumes player till their plant was commissioned. How can they be with two models costing 20L + in the market!

So much for reading "wrong newspapers"  smiley36.gif

Here's a Nissan Advertisement in the "right" newspaper on 25th JUNE.

It's an AD mainly highlighting the FE of the X-TRAIL & its other features.

Kinda weird actually because FE wouldn't be top priority to an X-TRAIL buyer.

The reason they've specified the FE is because of rule 115 of  CMVR.

Atleast they got a reason to give out an AD. It also talks about free insurance & special accessories package smiley2.gif

[zigwheels toi, 25/06/09]

nissanad.jpg

vr.462009-06-26 08:26:55