Comfortdriver

Rear versus front wheel drive

The tail happy character of 911 made it endearing to many hardcore drivers who would use that very nature to its maximum advantage. Now Porsche has to market the 911 to a broader public and therefore sadly' date=' they made it neutral. The Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 is another fine example of AWD, this time with all wheel steering as well. Since its able to put almost all of its 320 twin turbo bhp on tarmac, the acceleration is just simply neck straining.

Innova is no van, its actually an elongated station wagon and yes, it handles better than Civic if you know how to use the oversteer.

About AWD, in early 90s, Walter Rohrl the German rally driver decimated the competition with AWD Audi Quattro Turbo in the SCCA races, no big block US V8s could catch him. The AWD could be tossed with abandon that no 2WD would allow, most of the time Rohrl would be throwing the car off the tarmac in the corners and his AWD would allow him to recover with far more cornering speed. Needless to say after that domination, AWD was banned from that category. Also don't forget Porsche's ultimate offering in the 959, it was a showcase of AWD tech, only prohibitive costs kept that vehicle out of production. The Nissan Skyline GTR is another prime example of AWD done right.[/quote']

I wouldn't call an old 911 "tail-happy." How many people can catch a slide in one of those? And the R32s through R34s sent upto 40% torque to the front wheels on detection of slippage - under normal conditions, it was 100% rear. Aussie V8s couldn't catch them, either, so they got banned smiley36.gif

The Audi 2.7TDI which is a front wheel drive car claims that it has a 50:50 weight distribution. How did they manage this if this claim is correct and will the concerns of a front wheel drive be addressed in this car due to the equal weight distribution?

Weight distribution can be achieved by power train placement, that wouldn't eliminate understeer due to the very physics of FWD but suffice to say, it will have less understeer as compared to other FWD.

The Audi 2.7TDI which is a front wheel drive car claims that it has a 50:50 weight distribution. How did they manage this if this claim is correct and will the concerns of a front wheel drive be addressed in this car due to the equal weight distribution?

Can you post the url for this so that I can check out the details. I suspect the engine may be longitudinal (to accommodate the AWD or quattro version), also the front wheels are far more tot he front in Audi's than in most others.

Can you post the url for this so that I can check out the details. I suspect the engine may be longitudinal (to accommodate the AWD or quattro version)' date=' also the front wheels are far more tot he front in Audi's than in most others.
[/quote']

Here are some links about the car...

Thanks

Regards

I think I get some ideas from the URLs. The engine is  longitudinally mounted as suspected. It is of a compact design 83mm bore, 90mm cylinder pitch (i.e. only 7mm between cylinders incl. wall thickness) in a V6 configuration. Thus it is located behind the drive wheels. Also, the 50:50 may distribution be for the quattro version. 

I remember a TV advt by VW I think which showed the purported benefits of a front wheel drive to a rear wheel drive with a help of a match box.

The match box with the inner compartment slightly open, first being pushed by the finger from the rear which lead to the turn being a washed out, and then the finger moving the matchbox by draging it from the front, leading to better car control on turns.

the Advt was so effective that it I still can vividly remember it.

I have a lingering doubt:  Sedans like Maruti Suzuki SX4 and Fiat Linea are front-wheel driven, yet they have hump running from gear box to the rear section, though the hump was more awkward in case of the former and less in case of the latter.  When I asked the sales executives during TD of these vehicles recently, they said it was to accomodate the drive shaft.  When I asked why drive shaft is required in a front-wheel driven vehicle, they did not know the answer and neither I.  Kindly enlighten me.

I have a lingering doubt:  Sedans like Maruti Suzuki SX4 and Fiat Linea are front-wheel driven' date=' yet they have hump running from gear box to the rear section, though the hump was more awkward in case of the former and less in case of the latter.  When I asked the sales executives during TD of these vehicles recently, they said it was to accomodate the drive shaft.  When I asked why drive shaft is required in a front-wheel driven vehicle, they did not know the answer and neither I.  Kindly enlighten me.[/quote']

t is to accomodate your silencer pipe and its accesories.

RWD is usually needed or employed in cars which are heavy enough to propel as by their stock engines.

2ndly in those cars whose engines produce much much more power which if given to FWD causes frequent burn-outs.

Examples being the Nano & BMW respectively.