bpinaki

Suggestions for First Service

Hello Friends,

My new Swift Lxi is going for the first service this sunday.(1000kms/1 month).I couldn't manage 1000 kms as it has run only 300kms(this is my first car smiley1.gif).Can the gurus please give advice/suggestions/pointers for the first service(like if I need to change the engine oil,do not use syntetic oil etc) keeping in the mind the distance that the car has run.

Thanks for the help guys...

Regards...Pinaki

How much old is your car? Means when did you buy it?

What is the Service Schedule for 1st Service in the Manual?

If it is 1000kms/1month, and if your car is 1 month old then get the 1st service done.

Don't change engine oil now. Change it at 10,000kms or as specified in the Manual.

At 1st Service, get the following done--

1.Get all the four Spark Plugs Cleaned and adjusted as per Manual.

2. Get Air filter cleaned.

3. Check whether Engine oil is within its limits (upper and lower level). If not add the Recommended oil up to Upper Level.

4. Check the Battery Electrolyte Level and keep it between Max and Min Marks. If the level is lower than Max. Mark, add Distill water up to Max Mark.

The First two will be done for Free. The Engine Oil and Battery Electrolyte if required will be charged extra.sudeepd2009-06-18 14:57:38

(1)List any problems that you may be facing with the car. Each car has its own set of gremlins, which the one who drives knows the best.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

(2)Next read the service manual which has a list of routine checkups to be done during the first service. Its different for each car make and model.

When you hand over your car for the first service all these must be attended to.

anjan_c20072009-06-18 18:05:09

i just got my car's first service. well personal suggestion would be that u should refrain from getting your engine oil change. as the engine is new and some of the engine particles get mixed up with the oil in the earlier stage of its life. and since you haven't covered much of the mielage, i presume your engine is relatively new and even if you opt for engine oil change the particles will get mixed up in the changed oil. so it won't do any good other than loosen up your pocket. 

also its best to go by manufaturer's manul and go by their reccomendations.trust me they have built the car they know better than many of us..lolz.

rest make a list of things you want to ask the service guy or things you thing are posing problems.

happy motoring.

regards

DnDs

@sudeepd

The car is one month old.I had read that metal particles get into the system for a new car....and so an engine oil change is advisable.

@anjan_c2007...Thank you for the suggestions

@DnDs

I guess that makes sense.As the car has run very less...the engine particled will continue to get mixed...at what distance does this stop happening?

Todays engines are pretty well made. also the oil filters are full flow (and not bypass as in the old Fiat 1100). So the amount of crud in circulation is nearly zero. I would not bother about the oil change.

I don't think you need to do much except reconfirm if the jobs to be carried out behind the service coupon are properly carried out.

If it is a oil change check the color of oil before you get the car to the service station and after they have serviced it.

Oil after use becomes dark in color, if after service you find the color is almost nil or very light the oil has been changed.

If you know the placement of the oil filter you just need to look at it to know if it is new or not.

Other specifics which you have observed need to be listed and then provided to the service station.

It depends on the ASC.

Here in Solapur,

1. Both Tata ASCs allow to stand besides the vehicle throughout the Servicing Process and sell the Spare Parts through Counter-Sale.

2a. Maruti Dealer Achal Automobiles does not allow to enter the workshop nor do they sell Spare Parts through Counter-Sale.

2b. Maruti ASC Balaji Motors allow to enter the Workshop and also sell the Spare Parts through Counter-Sale.

So Please find out at your place.

I don't think you have to hurry too much. Ask the service advisor, if he say's you can run the car for a couple of more months before the first service. Then run around for a few more months before you take her for the first service. You can talk to them over phone, unless you have some serious gremlin's as someone mentioned.