ijinesh

i20 or Grande Punto

Hi Guys,

Need advice on buying a premium hatchback. Contemplating between Hyundai i20 (Asta) and Fiat Grande Punto (Emotion PK). I have following criteria's (in that order):

- Easy to maintain

- Fun to drive

- Good mileage

Have test driven both of them. Liked looks & built quaility of i20, but thought it was under powered for highways. Grande Punto good pick-up, but didn't like plastic grill in front and not sure of quaility of plastics used, and mileage is unknown.

Please help!!!

In my opinion the Punto would be a better bet. But you didn't mention whether you test drove punto petrol or diesel. In either of the cases, it is better than i20.

To me, punto looks much better than i20.

The spares of Punto are even cheaper than swift and also the service intervals are of 15000 kms / 3 months. Oil change is at 30000 kms / 24 months. Thus it is very easy to maintain.

The punto petrol has a rev happy engine and is extremely fun to drive. The diesel punto has 1st and 2nd gears very short and after switching to 3rd and 4th gear, you can spend whole day driving in the city in the same gear mostly. It doesn't require frequent gear changes. One can drive in 3rd gear at speed of 15 kmph and 4th gear at speed of 20 kmph. This is possible with punto petrol also. This enhances the fuel efficiency of the car.

I get 12 kmpl from my Linea petrol so, punto petrol should give around this mark only. The diesel engine is the famed multijet engine and is known for its fuel efficiency and performance. Almost all the hatchbacks like swift, ritz, vista, palio use the same diesel engine, thus no point discussing its mileage.

On the other hand, i20 has a 1.2 engine which is not fun to drive but does the work adequately. Also, it has some more features than the punto but they come by paying a premium which in my opinion is not justified.

At the end, the decision is yours.

Hi Guys' date='

- Easy to maintain

- Fun to drive

- Good mileage

?
[/quote']

Punto 1.4(petrol) = fun to drive

Punto 1.2 and i20= good mileage

i20= easy to maintain

STYLING = individualistic Opinion .

I would go for i20 because it looks much much better.

But it costs more too.

GOT THE EXTRA CASH AND CARE FOR SAFETY = i20

IF NOT = grande punto

I'd say go for the Grand Punto, it looks great and has fantastic interior's, too. I have TDed the i20 it's a good car, neutral handler, good interior's and space; being a Hyundai it'll be easy on the upkeep, too. Ideally, go for a TD of both and decide.

Go for GP, i saw a red GP today and it looks awesome, it's the best looking hatch(atleast to me) in India. Since i20 seems underpowered to you go for GP 1.4, mileage will be little less than i20 though.

The spares of Punto are even cheaper than swift and also the service intervals are of 15000 kms / 3 months. Oil change is at 30000 kms / 24 months. Thus it is very easy to maintain.

Where did you get price comparision of spare parts of Punto & Swift? Are spares already made available in the market?

I had tested Petrol.

One weird thing about Punto is swapping of levers of headlights and wipers...which would initially be difficult to handle.

Also, plastic quality seemed average as compared to i20. Any take on that?

Plus, the Punto which I had test driven had hole in the bumper due to minor accident...so just wondering whether Fiat has cut cost by using avg quality plastics.

For both i20 & Punto I am considering top petrol variant, so is there any major difference in equipments fitted?

Thanks for your answers.

Where did you get price comparision of spare parts of Punto & Swift? Are spares already made available in the market?

I had tested Petrol.

One weird thing about Punto is swapping of levers of headlights and wipers...which would initially be difficult to handle.

Also, plastic quality seemed average as compared to i20. Any take on that?

Plus, the Punto which I had test driven had hole in the bumper due to minor accident...so just wondering whether Fiat has cut cost by using avg quality plastics.

For both i20 & Punto I am considering top petrol variant, so is there any major difference in equipments fitted?

Thanks for your answers.

I don't have the spare parts list of the punto. But the product manager

of fiat mailed me and told that the spare parts of punto are cheaper

than swift. The parts would not be available now and would take around

1.5 months. This is normal with all the manufacturers and not just

fiat.

The swapping of headlights and wipers is because it is a

european car, thus the left hand drive configuration. It is the same

case with my linea but one gets used to it in a few days. I got used to

it in 2 hours. Though I also drive a palio which has right hand drive

configuration. But i don't face any problems. Now a days most cars have

this wiper and headlights stalk swapped as they are european and

american in nature ( except honda and suzuki). I think hyundai i20 also

have them swapped as they are exported to europe. Though I am not sure

about that.

Plastic quality is not better than i20 and those

plastics are the ones which people don't use often. Thus, i don't think

there would be any problem.

Also, the hole in the bumper that you

would have noticed must have been the Tow hook. I can assure you that

the outer build quality of any fiat would be ten times better than the

hyundai i20.

There are certain equipments which are there in

punto but not in i20 and certain which are there in i20 but not in

punto. You should check out both the dealers for the exact specs and

features.

Punto petrol is great fun to drive and very peppy.

Much much better than i20. Punto has great highway manners and is even

better than fabia on the highway.

The i20 is expensive than punto and also comes with a smaller engine.

I would have gone for the punto definitely. At the end of the day, it is your decision which matters.

the punto 1.2L belts out just 68 bhp which translates a poor power to weight ratio of 59.6! thats definitely not the one to pick !

the punto 1.4 L and the 1.2 i20 have almost similar power to weight ratios of 78 and 75 , so all the ball talk about i20 being underpowered is crap.

price wise the asta and emotion are again similar with somewhat similar list of equipment. the GP is definitely a better looker.

but the thing which tilts in i20's decision would be hyundai vs fiat.

after maruti , hyundai has the biggest network. so i will stick to i20. i've driven the car and its fun to drive. if u are'nt wary about buying a fiat , then you could choose the GP.

i'l suggest not to be in a hurry. if you can wait for sometime , let the GP "settle" in the auto industry and then see what response it gets in a few months.

else take a TD of both and decide for yourself. all the best on your purchase !

I have test driven the i20 and closely checked out the GP(TD is on mon or tue).

My observations:

Maintenance: i20 should be easier on the pocket..i repeat 'should'. no one knows about the cost of GP spares. I guess time should tell.

I found the build quality of the i20 to be very good. it feels solid.

The GP is a mixed bag. The seat adjusters, fuel and boot levers felt quite flimsy. Very surprisingly, the doors do not shut with that palio-like thump.

Fun to drive: The i20 is pretty decent in the city.

The GP has been reported to have a more drivable engine. So, the GP should be better in this dept.

Mileage: ACI has reported a lower mileage in the GP, as compared to the i20. The i20 seems to be the pick here. However, your individual style will dictate the final result.

Space: Very frankly, having lived with the Getz for nearly 5 years, i felt that the i20 was no better.

The GP is even worse!! I got comfy in the driver's seat and then checked the rear.Yikes! No space at the rear absolutely. I guess i could attribute that to my 6'4'' frame but then its much better in some other cars (except Swift). Headroom is bad too. I had to either poke my knees into the driver's seat or bang my head on the roof.

the boot sizes are 295L and 280L for i20 and GP respectively. But the shape is better in the i20. The suspension intrudes into the space in the GP.

I was really excited about the GP. But my visit to the showroom deflated me a bit. I was expecting more space and better quality. The rest is brilliant.

My heart says GP, mind says i20

I forgot to add in the 'Fun to drive' part

The GP has been reported to have a fantastic ride and handling package.

I found the i20's steering to be quite lifeless. Its great for tight city driving, but I doubt it'll inspire any confidence on the highway.

The spares of Punto are even cheaper than swift and also the service intervals are of 15000 kms / 3 months. Oil change is at 30000 kms / 24 months.

Nimesh, Are you Serious?

How can the Engine Oil be used for 30,000kms? Even if Synthetic, it will be 15,000kms.

I guess both Service Interval and Engine Oil Change may be 15,000kms.

The spares of Punto are even cheaper than swift and also the service intervals are of 15000 kms / 3 months. Oil change is at 30000 kms / 24 months.

Nimesh' date=' Are you Serious?

How can the Engine Oil be used for 30,000kms? Even if Synthetic, it will be 15,000kms.

I guess both Service Interval and Engine Oil Change may be 15,000kms.[/quote']

Yes, sudeepd. I am seriously serious. It is true that the oil change is at 30000 kms / 2 years. Even I am surprised but it is true. Oil used is Selenia Semi-synthetic.

Service intervals are of 15000 kms / 1 year. You can even check with your nearest fiat dealership.

I agree with Nimesh here. Fiat has already started working on localizing 90% of the spares of its cars in India. Once achieved, you will definately feel the difference in the spares cost.

I have already checked the price of spares of Linea vs Hyundai Verna, Fiesta, AHNC. They are lowest of all in the most catagories. I wish if I could attach an attachement the posts. Its a good comparison.

Spare price cost below swift. That will be a talking a little too much. Even amongst the sedan linea is second to sx4; This is by fiats own review. Beating suzuki in terms of localization is not that easy in india.

Also if you are looking for space you clearly have your result, i.e. i20. Rear space of GP would be in my words just a tad over swift. They seem to have sacrificed rear comfort for boot space in the GP.

Mileage of GP is nothing to write home about either. The GP suffers from low mileage according to tbhp reports, also the ARAI data which can be used for relative purposes only gives a rating of 13 kmpl to GP.

But for highway driving no car beats Punto. So if you are driving more in highway have a look at punto, else its i20.

Note

I heard that the 1.4 l engine for i20 is going to be launched. If you are very concerned regarding power you can wait for that too but expect too shell out 20000 for those extra 10 bhp

I would choose the Punto easily maybe I am biased towards Fiat but the car is an absolute looker, even though the i20 is not all that bad looking.  Plus I am sure it will be much more fun to drive than the Hyundai. The only weakness of the Punto could be its service, Fiat ASS network is much smaller than Hyundai's.

Thanks guys for replies.

Actually my only concern with Grande Punto is built quaility, especially the quality of plastics used, which to me looks like below average.

If one would have seen all the levers for opening fuel lid, boot, bonnet, it feels like they might come off any time. Also button on steerings looks like they will wear off in short usage time. Also, it doesn't have a front bumper to protect from minor impact.

Otherwise GP is a no brainer, with good 1.4l engine with very good handling capabilites. Overall GP has good package in area of performance, but Fiat has cut costs by using below par quaility of plastics.

Hyundai i20 overall good package, but lacks a capable engine for highway. If i20 is coming with 1.4l engine than that would be my choice. But it looks unlikely that they would come with 1.4l soon and in any case it would cost much more than 20k as excise duty would be 20% and not 8%, resulting in increase in price of atleast 60-70K if not more.

Keep posting your views!

Thanks.

Still unable to decide!

Thanks guys for replies.

Actually my only concern with Grande Punto is built quaility' date=' especially the quality of plastics used, which to me looks like below average.

If one would have seen all the levers for opening fuel lid, boot, bonnet, it feels like they might come off any time. Also button on steerings looks like they will wear off in short usage time. Also, it doesn't have a front bumper to protect from minor impact.

Otherwise GP is a no brainer, with good 1.4l engine with very good handling capabilites. Overall GP has good package in area of performance, but Fiat has cut costs by using below par quaility of plastics.

Hyundai i20 overall good package, but lacks a capable engine for highway. If i20 is coming with 1.4l engine than that would be my choice. But it looks unlikely that they would come with 1.4l soon and in any case it would cost much more than 20k as excise duty would be 20% and not 8%, resulting in increase in price of atleast 60-70K if not more.

Keep posting your views!

Thanks.

Still unable to decide!
[/quote']

The interior parts of Punto are delicate but if used with care then there is no problem at all. I have not yet faced any problem with the interior plastics of my Linea.

Also, every car has a front bumper. What are you talking!!!! Try punching it with your hand or keep the punto at rest and drive other car at speed of 20 kmph to hit the front bumper of punto to see the damage. There would be absolutely no damage. I can assure you that. The exterior build quality of Fiat cannot be matched by Hyundais and Marutis. It has got an NCAP rating of 5 stars, so be assured of top notch safety.

Well you can see for your self for bumper of Punto, which mightn't be evident unlike other vehicles. Also, vehicle which I had test driven had minor accident which has resulted in hole in the bumper or whatever it is. Actually when you push with your fingers, bumper is pressed in.

As far as NCAP ratings are concerned, i20 & Grande Punto both have 5star ratings, with i20 scoring more points than Grande Punto (source: latest autocar).

You know, on the test drive of Punto organised for the auto experts,a punto was hit by a hyundai at the back. The bumber of punto was only misaligned but the one of hyundai came out.

Also, the hole you are talking about must have been the TOW HOOK. It is there in every car. In the case of accident, it would have been towed. That is nothing to worry about.

I myself had suffered an accident on the NH-1 in my Palio at a speed of around 125 kmph. There was not that much damage as expected. The mechanic told me that if there would have been an esteem in place of palio, the damage would have been double.

You are the first person I have met who is doubting the legendary build quality of Fiat. You need to consult some other members on this forum regarding the exterior build quality of a fiat.

Nimesh,

I can make difference between hook hole and hole created by an accident. The hole which I am referring to is the one due to accident, which was also confirmed by the dealer. Further, have you seen Punto in flesh? Can you find the bumper, like a traditional bumper? Most of the reviews suggest that Fiat had to cut bumper's size to adhere to 4000cm length limit for excise benefit (v/s original length of 4030cm).

Also, the review on Team BHP you are referring to also bought another interesting point on rear windows not rolling fully down (only 65-70% roll down) which again is disappointing.

Lastly, by built quaility, I am not referring to external built quaility but internal built quaility w.r.t quaility of plastics used etc...its kind of Maruti like, which is not expected from Italian Fiat.

Hope you can get my point.

At the end of the day, my heart says Punto but head say i20.

well i would suggest the i20 simply because its a hyundai and with it comes peace of mind...the grande punto'

s rear resembles the old gen indica's rear in some ways for eg those vertical tail-lamps and plus the finishing is not proper in gp like wiring is visible in many places and plastic quality is bad at many places....buy the grande punto only if you want 2 buy a diesel car.

ps- i20 is faster than gp 1.4 in 0-100 timings !!!