SUV Fan

Decision betwen Laura/Civic/Jetta

Hi

I currently drive a Scorpio CRDE SLX (Aug 2005). I love driving and also very passionate about it. I have driven a lot across the country (eg : Kolkata - Mumbai - Kolkata, Delhi - Goa - Delhi, Mumbai - Bangalore and numerous trips on Mumbai - Goa sector).

I am looking at changing my Scorpio and am very confused. Ideally I would like to buy a SUV but my budget is INR 15 lakhs approx and I don't want to buy a Scorpio again or a Safari. I will prefer a Diesel option as I drive 60 kms daily to office and back, one trip of 600 kms every 2 months and one trip of 2000 kms a year. Normally we are only 3 (wife, me and son) in the car.

I was looking at Diesel Laura (though the petrol is more exciting at 160 bhp), Civic or a Jetta (unless you can advise me on a fourth alternative). The vehicle should be fuel efficient, comfortable and fun to drive. I love driving fast (when the road permits) and pushing the car to its limit hence it should be a drivers car. Oh that reminds me, I am not comfortable with a driver so prefer driving myself even in the Mumbai traffic.

I am ready to wait for 3-4 months if you expect any new launches which could fit my bill

Look forward to your revert

well if you love to drive yourself then dont look further than the civic. BEcause it will give you lots of pleasure while driving. It is comfortable also but may not be as fuel efficient as its rivals!

If you could increase the budget by 2 lakhs then you can get the endeavor . If you love to drive why not try the laura petrol don't think that skoda excels in diesel (which it doesn't) and has poor engine the tsi engine is from VW and is new baap of VTEC . Go for jetta if you want diesel it looks upmarket though little expensive than the laura.

Hello,

Iam driving Civic for 2 yrs now. Its a gr8 car but not meant for very high speeds and somehow doesn't gives you that surety at speeds of 130+

My personal suggestion would be Laura 1.8 tsi anyday. This engine is generation ahead than civic or altis or jetta.

Only issue would A.S.S from Skoda and cost of spares for laura.

Iam also driving Skoda Fabia which incidently gives me more secured feeling at 130 as compared to civic. The ASS of Skoda is just fine but cost of spares is something to worry.

Take a call.

I think you should keep the Jetta out of this as it is much less on power compared to the other two and for a 15 lakhs car! My suggestion would be petrol Laura, awesome engine, awesome power, good handling and ride, will be very stable on the highways at high speeds and SAFE. The Civic is a good option but if you travel long distances frequently, the Laura is a far better option. Also the interiors of the Laura reek of class, whereas the Civic is just about okay.

As you have healthy usage will definitely say with closed eyes buy Laura.

People might talk of AFS issue of Skoda but i as a owner of one have not encounterd such issues.

I am myself now buying a 2.0 TDi laura (Have booked White color)

Incase you are still keen on Petrol then you can look at either Laura 1.8 or Corolla Altis.  Though for sure 1.8 Laura will be more fun to drive & also more engaging.

Thanks. This is what is confusing me. When I check with Laura owners (there are a few in office as well) no seems to have had a problem though they admit that parts are expensive. But when I do a google search I find a lot complaints on ASS

Not commenting on genuinity of all complaints but what i see when i see such posts is more of feeling of hurt & anguish & due to that many of such cases are either repeated across forums or the writers will not let these posts die.

I have many a times seen articles due to phase out & then again someone will revive the same with some comments just to satisfy the hurt.

I agree the parts are costlier than other co. but why do we forget one it is a car worth 15 - 16 lakhs & not 8-9 lakhs secondly if you compare to something in same range be it Endeavour or Pajero (mentioning as diesels) they also relatively cost same amount.

My suggestion go for it & enjoy what the car gets for you.

As for money; i feel it is worth every penny spent :)

have a look at sonata transform crdi as well....its more powerful than laura/jetta and comes with good a.s.s of hyundai plus peace of mind...its a very talented car and is high on space when compared with laura/jetta !!!

Sonata has one of the poorest resale value

My cousin wanted to sell his after a year & the same went down by close to 50% which is way too high for car of this value.

The car on whole is good but not very engaging.

with 60 km perday my friend look at diesel , currently u have two choices jeta and laura , yes skoda do have some issues with ASS , but not all face the problem , so its a bit of a gamble , the chevy cruise will launch in september this year and will have an diesel version hold on if u can . if u don't mind a second hand buy u can get your self an 2005-2007 C200 CDI between 15 to 16 , though a second hand but will be an better buy than laura and jetta for atleast u won't be worrying about ASS . sarabjeet2009-06-24 15:12:19

with  your lind of running (my estimate 20000kms /year ) , you should be looking only at a diesel option : laura or a jetta.

the 1.9 L laura is definitely fun to drive. unless you love performance and dont mind shelling a couple of extra lakhs for the 2.0 L TDI .

the jetta is plane jane being more expensive and with a smaller engine.

the laura's the one to go for though not very convinced about the skoda A.S.S.

the diesel magnum is also fun to drive though being a segment lower.
autofreako2009-06-25 11:10:23

Take a look at Sonata too you get a massive car and the engine is also good you won't need more power and its priced reasonable . Only down side is resale value but everthing else is really good.

laura has completely outclassed the japanese civic and altis,and the jetta is good looking car,and also cheaper than skoda lura,if u want petrol go for laura,and if disel go for jetta as it is quite cheaper than laura,if u want more power in diesel the new engine is avail in laura i.e. 2.0 tdi pd,2.0 crdi would also come to india shortly,which is smoother and refined