invisiblebond

Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDi set for July 2009 launch!

I did go and see the i20 diesel. They have still not started the test drives. The enteriors are the same except the Crdi batch.

Now for the prices. Their Asta model equivalent to an Ambiente of Fabia costs a whopping 7,93,000 on road mumbai individual which is way above a skoda fabia given the current offers which works out to somewhere close to Rs 7,50,000 on road mumbai individual.

It is surprising (not much) that like when they launched the getz diesel which is a car bland of any features excepting a powerful engine was also priced wrong. This one as it  appears is way beyond common expectations

Ditto Spearhead!

I had the testdrive yesterday, and the i20 CRDi is an impressive machine. It's got none of the petrol's gutless midrange, and cruises well too. Excellent in terms of cruising, responsiveness and refinement (though some amount of clatter can be heard outside). But as Spearhead mentioned,  don't feel economy will be as impressve as the Getz CRDi. Since it's very responsve in city, I suspect the gear ratios are short. This, and the higher weight of the car won't make it as efficient.

Price is in close proximity of the Fabia TDi, which s definitely a turn-off.

I think Hyundai marketing strategy to be improved.

Swift  VDI diesel is around 5.2 Lakhs without ABS, Integrated audio, electric mirror & All wheel disc brakes.

i20 Magna is with ABS, Integrated audio, Electril mirror & All wheel disc brake.

If hyundai want to fight with swift market share they may reduce some features which is not mandatry for city driving and they can cut the price easily.

For example Electric mirror in city driving is not required which may get damge in city driving and replacement cost is huge.

Hyundai is (proactive) trying to 'change' the market by giving performance, safety and kit. Whereas MSIL is just (reactive) dishing out what they feel people want. Sometimes you loose focus when your reactive. They could have done soo much more with the Swift, brought in the Sport 1.6 available in the UK or just added the 1.3 MJD in the 90bhp/21 kgm form. They have such a good car the Swift and they are content with what number's they are doing nt even trying to change the funeral parlour interior's, until recently, with their 'GLAM' (sic) edition. I'm surprised that even after the Japanese takeover they continue to behave like a PSU dinosaur.

Thats a good news, but whatever the koreans try they r never gonna satisfy the indian customers like MZIL, nd they are never gonna get near the built quality of a skoda or honda hatchback and their engines can never compete with that of a hondas ivtec. But sooner or later the german giants volkswagen are gonna come up with their UP! concept nd this may drastically change the way we indians look at hatchbacks. Anyway as of now the grand daddy remains to be maruti nd hyundai have been trying to steal that credential from the japanese but in vain. Any lets see what impact the diesel i20 is gonna have on the sales of the swift diesel or the Ritz diesel. nd not to mention the ritz K12M engine is superbly refined for a maruti nd its BSIV compliant, nd the most important into the mouth price of the Ritz may juz give the i20 a run for their money.Lets See!