vnp1606

Right Braking Habit

Hi,

I would like to know the right braking method. Initially I was given to understand that use of clutch while braking helps in preventing unnecessary reverse load on the engine and enhances its life. However, now many have advised me to avoid use of clutch while braking saying that it will unnecessarily increase fuel consumption and will not have any adverse impact on engine life. So, in short, braking should be used only to avoid engine stalling after braking, Is that right?. Please adivice.

Thanks,

Vinay

So, in short, (braking) should be used only to avoid engine stalling after braking, Is that right?. Please adivice.

Clutch should be applied when the engine is about to stall also their isn't any fuel consumption if you apply clutch but appling the clutch partially will burn it .Todays modern engine are wellenough to run more than 3akhs km without trouble.

Yes thats right. Never use clutch while braking, it should be used only to prevent engine stalling.

All manual transmission equipped cars provide engine braking. By using clutch you loose engine braking and increase brake and clutch wear and tear. In fact if you release accelerator early, you can avoid using brakes most of the time, as only the engine braking will slow down the car. You will also save some fuel as an idling engine burns more fuel than a retarding one.

akj53in2009-06-30 05:38:38

as everyone has mentioned, DON'T use clutch while braking:

-it wears off the clutch plates

-increase the braking distance.

so for more efficient braking, use clutch when the engine is about to stall.

I use the clutch only for changing gears and to prevent the engine for stalling. Under hard braking it is also safe to come down to the next lower gear to use the engine for quicker stops. Doing this or vice versa will hardly have any effect on an engine's life.