Durango Dude

Mumbaiker's Rejoice: Bandra Worli Sealink opens!

E338E23623C3C0B59BD8BEBD4F4E29.jpg

So let's all know how it was to first pass thru' the 4.7 kms sealink. Was there any buffeting due to strong cross wind's. Mumbaiker's keep us all posted regards the experience of crossing this mega engg. marvel on the sea. Looks great especially from space and the air. Pics of the same to follow:

23413615cy4.jpg

The sealink from the heaven's.

From an aircraft:

2387417679_cdb1a749e2.jpg

Hmmm! lets see I might go there for a nice drive till the toll is free. I think that there is much hype generated about it , may be because I saw all the brigde and mega builder program on discovery . It doesn't excite me with 50 bucks toll I don't think many may opt for it.

@rssh: 50 bucks amounts to nothing, here in Chennai we go to Mayajaal on the way we pay toll of 45 bucks <to and fro> for just going say 1 km. Sealink is a great way to rack up mileage to run-in your new car. Is it 50 bucks one way or two way? Anyways this piece of engg. marvel deserves it don't you think?Durango Dude2009-07-01 05:29:28

Lets see in the long run if it will make any good use . I support govt on the issue that best buses should ply on them for free so that common men can sight relief but trained driver with the slowest lane on the left should be for them and I hope max speed becomes 100kmph when the other route is finished this year end.

i think many will opt for this route as for car owners 50Rs. is not a big deal. Its great architecture marvel, and now only a message came to me that there is traffic jam on the sea-link. The landscape from the bridge would be pretty good.

And DD, 50Rs. os for 1way and 75Rs. for return, its an 8lane bridge with 16lanes for electronic toll plaza for paying toll.

I for one am certainly going to use this sealink often. Expect a full report with pics from me for all of you fellas by next week. BTW, there was a traffic jam on the link today. :D

Well traffic jams are to be expected, it may at max be lessened. Also how many toll booths do they have? Cos that can be a big problem. Like here in Gurgaon, the expressway that connects it to new delhi has 32 toll booths but still it is an area of massive jam.

Hope they make an eightlane highway all the way down to Kanyakumari from Chennai' date=' must make one scenic highway like the Ocean Road, Australia.[/quote']

Whoa!! this would be a multi million project! and DD have you been to 'The Great Ocean Drive'? This is the most beautiful drive i have driven on EVER!

I drove on this yesterday and have to say the view is brilliant. A completely new look at the city from the seaside. But since it is toll free for a few days, almost everyone is there, so as expected instead of the promised 7 minutes from Bandra to Worli, it took me 25mins on the sealink itself.

My usual route from Andheri through Tulsipipe road-Mahalaxmi circle-JJ flyover would have been atleast 15 mins faster. The biggest problem is the 90 degree turnoff at the Worli end. After which the Love Grove flyover traffic signal holds up a lot of traffic. And finally the signal at Haji Ali will kill all notions of the reduced travel time that you may have. Peddar road needs a new flyover pronto.

But most of all, it is already time to think of another sealink towards Chowpatty and Nariman point.

FRG

I avoid peddar road in peak hour from kemps corner to haji ali it too me 2 hours at 6pm and the road is slopy so it is more demanding . Hope peddar road people again won't create a mess for proposed flyover like Lata did .Its a democracy .

Its our <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Golden Gate for now. Drove on the Vivekananda Setu, Kolkata, over the Hooghly river just a few months ago and had felt that there is nothing in India to beat it. The Worli-Bandra sealink beats it. But my impression is only drawn from the media reports and pictures.The traffic is very sparse over the Vidyasagar Setu, unlike this new Worli- Bandra link. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

There are some two or three more links on the anvil as they have said like the links right from south to north Mumbai.

I would hate a sealink to connect nariman point from malabar hill even if it decongests because the sea link will obstruct the sea view and the marine drive is known as queens necklace and it is itself a heritage site also we don't get that much traffic problem south of cst in mumbai I am against that.

@rshh: In fact, it will add to the view. It looks simply brilliant both by day and night.

But the bad part is that only one bridge is functioning and the second one is nowhere near completition. Its such a pity, it took our governments 10 years to do this. Yet shamelessly they are proud of building a bridge that is still to completed. Will do anything for political mileage.

Now in some news reports they are saying to get a footover bridge for a blind school at worli end, they need clearance from some environmental agency. Untill then the blind have to fend for themselves. How the hell is a foot bridge going to harm the environment? Red tape is killing this country slowly.

FRG

According to the police, a speeding Skoda Fabia car lost control and

collided with a taxi coming from the other side. The severe collision

led to the death of the accountant, travelling in the taxi.The cab driver and the passengers in the Skoda were injured in the incident. Preliminary

investigation reveals that a father and a son were in the Skoda, which

was heading towards Dhirubhai Ambani School at BKC. The son has been

admitted to Lilavati Hospital in a critical condition.The incident happened around 8.20 am and the impact was so severe

that the Skoda skidded to the edge of the bridge and could have fallen

into the sea, said the police.According to traffic policeman, Bhagat, "Traffic was disrupted for

some time after the accident, but everything has been cleared and

traffic flow is normal."This is a first case of collision on the Bandra Worli sea link after the sea link was opened for the vehicular traffic.

News Source MIDDAY website dated 8/12/09 Pictures NDTV website

241772d1260278219-accidents-india-pics-s

1.jpg

anjan_c20072009-12-08 15:53:16

Well I think that the Fabia guy must have been 120+kmph and on the intial curve towards Worli side should be taken at a max speed of 80kmph.

Though the speed limit is only 50 kmph but even in peak traffic the normal or say avg speed is above 60 . I myself have gone beyond 140kmph . I think the second lane should come asap which will mean more safety as speed increases.

Last month when i went for US visa interview, on returning i came via Sealink in a Padmini and man thats a marvel. You just dont feel that you are in India, the skyline looks too good with tall buildings. And yes they need to control the speed as people drive like insane there. The padmini driver himself was driving so fast that i was scared but was fun. From US embassy to Bandra linking road he just took less than 15min while same route took me around an hour(without the sealink ofcourse) that too at 8.30-9.00am when i was to reach the embassy.

Can't really tell who was at fault because the Wagon R is in the wrong lane in the picture. No point speculating. But if there was a proper barrier between the up and down traffic, this scene could have been easily avoided.

The article says this is the first collision, well it isn't. A red Swift and a Honda City I believe had crashed into each other just days after the sealink opened. Thankfully there were no serious injuries.

What would have happened if this was an Omni (something that is being increasingly seen as a cab in Bombay). I believe the Indica, Indigo are the best possible cabs.

FRG

That Is PURE carnage. Its very Sad that this happened. Very Sad indeed. The Sea link is not well suited for high speeds if one has noticed. There are lot of undulations in the road surface.

Well sadly it was a friends brother. well my friend dosent even know about this because he is studying abroad and his exams are going on, so the parents decided not to tell him, he is currently back on 15 th.

One thing i gurantee, There was no dad in the car and the kid was below 16.

------- 

i frequently drive at 140kmph+ on the sea-link and its very safe. Never had even a small issue. i wonder how this accident happened.