Durango Dude

Mumbaiker's Rejoice: Bandra Worli Sealink opens!

With due sympathies to those killed or hurt. These are the first serious accidents in well over five months. The media went on a feeding frenzy as always.

Also, it is people like the gentleman above who should be banned. While I agree that our speed limits may be on the lower side but 140+kph on city roads in pure insanity.

The media went on a feeding frenzy as always.Also' date=' it is people like the gentleman above who should be banned. While I agree that our speed limits may be on the lower side but 140+kph on city roads in pure insanity.

[/quote'] Seriously, although the road is very good but in no way one should drive the car at whopping 140+ in city limits, its pure madness. For city limits 80kmph is enough, 140+ should be for highways and expressways.

@Frg, yes nowadays there are many new omni's and seriously speaking those sucks, in the morning i took Omni to reach the embassy and it was looking in extremely good condition means was new but it really sucked, the ride quality was so bad and view to outside from window wasnt that great either, on returning i decided to take good old padmini as no other than Van was available and man that more than a decade old car was 100times better than Omni and even the engine noise was smooth and not loud. This shows the Italian and Indo-jap engineering.

I dont know why they are getting themselves omni for new taxi's, instead they should get base Indica and they are much better.

Well joke and misconception apart , 50kmph is way less and even with stricter norms people can easily maintain 80kmph , the sea link is made for avg 100kmph remember may be the car might have a problem in the suspension or tyre which may not have given enough grip. Anyway was the Fabia's airbag inflated.

I am feeling sorry for the cab drive the WagonR looks new (may be a month or 2 old) . Was the kid and passenger wearing seatbelt?

What really happened - It was a 15 year old kid going to skool and he was late - the driver was around 120kmph > the wagaonR cabbie was trying to take a U-TURN on the sea-link- Seriously eneducated people shoud'nt be allowed on marvels like the sea-link. The stupid cabbie killed 2 people - accountant and a amazing friend of mine.

the press really makes up rubbish.

RIP Brother-

Power2009-12-09 19:05:42

Sea link is turning into Death row link. 4 ACCIDENTS WITHIN A WEEKS TIME !

Now as cyrus said accord smashes lancer and again another lancer smaching an i10.

( this is all happening because its december time, all kids are coming back home from unis)

@archit, Times of India is running an article. Do check their website.

@rssh, The toll booth is only at the bandra side. So if people want to waste some time, they come from worli and before the toll booth they take a u turn. Its happened to me once too. A Cab took a U Turn right in front of me.

@archit' date=' Times of India is running an article. Do check their website.

@rssh, The toll booth is only at the bandra side. So if people want to waste some time, they come from worli and before the toll booth they take a u turn. Its happened to me once too. A Cab took a U Turn right in front of me. [/quote'] Yes I agree but the Taxi was coming from the Bandra side .

I think when the second bridge is complete they should make a U turn circles for people like tourist to have time pass.

The news about the above picture ( According to police, the driver of the Accord tried his best to slow down, but his vehicle crashed into the rear-end of the Lancer which was taking a U-turn. All injured were admitted to the Lilavati Hospital)

AGAIN ANOTHER ACCIDENT! (Mumbai Mirror)

In the last five days, four accidents have been reported on the Sea Link, including two on Sunday itself. Early on Sunday morning, six people sustained injures when a speeding Mitsubishi Lancer, travelling from Bandra to Worli, took a sudden U-turn and collided with an oncoming Honda Accord, travelling in the opposite direction.

According to police, two people in the Accord and four in the Lancer, including two women, suffered injuries.

Police say that Bandra resident Zubesh Bhojwani, 24, who is associated with a construction firm was travelling to Colaba for work in his Accord (MH-02-BG-666) and was being chauffeured by Mansingh Khadka, 32.

Around 4.30 am, a Lancer (MH-02-JA-777), travelling at high speed from Bandra to Worli suddenly took a sharp U-turn and crashed into the Accord.

According to Senior Police Inspector Bharat Worlikar, of Worli Police Station,

Waaooo!!! the lancer looks as if crushed by a truck . Stupid driver . If sea link needs to work then the new 4 lanes should be opened fast or else make a dividing lane for the opp direction traffic fast

Yet Another Accident on This Sealink Injures Four

Mumbai: A speeding Maruti Swift jumped across the divider Bandra-Worli Sea Link and hit two vehicles coming from the opposite direction on Wednesday afternoon. Four persons, including an Italian, sustained injuries in the accident. However, all of them were reportedly out of danger.

The Worli police has arrested Aditya Natrajan (21). Natarajan was returning from a gym, lost control over his car while driving from Worli to Bandra. The police said Natrajan

Its not that great an engineering marvel, they should have learnt a lesson from the Severn bridge which links England to Wales (M48) and built something with atleast 8 lanes! It already looks congested.

The crash barriers on the bridge are not proper ones, keeping in mind the speed of vehicles, they should have installed highway standard double sided guard rails.

If sea link needs to work then the new 4 lanes should be opened fast or else make a dividing lane for the opp direction traffic fast

I fully agree. The temporary cones are no solution. There must be proper crash barriers to prevent such lane swaps. I remember seeing some on French Autoroutes where there was a far 'fatter' concrete part at the bottom with Aramco higher up. The purpose - deflect errant vehicles back into their lanes.

In Kolkata we have the Vidyasagar Setu which is almost 30-35 years old and is almost similar to the Bandra worli sea link. The roads are separated by steel separators and iron railing. So no scope for a U turn.

vsetu.jpg

DSC01087.JPG

sb-alto2010-01-16 10:36:02

In Kolkata we have the Vidyasagar Setu which is almost 30-35 years old and is almost similar to the Bandra worli sea link. The roads are separated by steel separators and iron railing. So no scope for a U turn.

If am not worg this is the 2nd Hoogly Bridge right?

That is not more than 20-22 years old