ravudai9

Confused about petrol or diesel

i am new here and went through all the 8 pages in the topic comparing petrols with diesels.i am planning for a hatchback and have shortlisted swift, fiat punto and the jazz. my average running is 10000 km/yr which would suggest that diesel isn't an option. what i would like to know is that would a car with a modern diesel engine be costly to maintain(will it need servicing more often?) if it stands for days together in the garage and runs very little or is the high initial cost of purchase the only reason to opt for a petrol. the jazz active  costs 7.75 lakhs and it seems that either honda is crazy or thinks that we are crazy to buy a car that costs so much but lacks many features. on the other hand fully loaded Punto costs 6.5 lakhs and seems a better option, albeit the fiat after sales service is a big question mark. also, swift zxi and vdi(abs) are similarly priced. which one should i opt for if i choose the swift. 

go for zxi swift since you will keep car in garage for sometime then it makes sense for a petrol because even modern diesel need to be staerrted atleast once in a week.

I think the best car to suit your requirement would be the Swift ZXi or the new Ritz ZXi. Both the hatchback has ABS with EBD as standard feature along with dual SRS Airbags as well as Fully integrated stereo system, steering mounted audio controls, climate control system(only on Swift ZXi). For a base version sedan money you would get lots of features in the swift zxi hatchback which are found in cars priced thrice its price.Its powered by the brilliant free revving 1.3 G-series 87 bhp,engine.The ritz zxi on the other hand lacks climate control system and is based on the swift hatchback platform. The ritz gets a very good K-12M, 1.2litre 87 bhp engine which is as good as the swift's unit, more precisely better as it is more modern and fuel efficient too. Its india's first BS-IV emission compliant engine.The Ritz is a tallboy hence gets more haedroom compared to swift.Its interiors are not dull like that of swift and gets sporty silver louvres and silver linings in the central console.Check out AUTOCAR INDIA'S JULY 2009 ISSUE  especially the Maruti Swift ZXi verses the Maruti Ritz ZXi comparison test.

To me i20, Punto, Jazz are premium hatches because the space, comfort, quality these will offer is not offered in Swift/Ritz which to me is necessary for a premium hatch and hence you get Swift at cheaper price...Opt for petrol and choose between i20 and Punto...

If you want performance then leave i20 and choose between jazz and punto, and 1.4punto is good to drive and not at all underpowered..But yes Fiat-Tata A.s.s is a concern..

I would prefer i20 if performance is not utmost priority...

if u want try to wait for i20 disel that is all set to release soon but you should consider streching the budget .... or opt for the punto disel its a little underpowered in the hood but still a good hatch compared to jazz .... try td the car and after sales service of fiat has improved dont worry on that issue....or try going for ritz but dont look at swift as its old for this generation of fresh hatchhbacks... check out punto and ritz and decide your choice ....

If your title says Petrol or diesel mean you still want to consider a diesel.

What ideas you have regarding diesels I don't know, for me diesel is just another fuel albet cheaper and having more density and lower flash point.

Coming to diesel engines They are engines which get work done at a higher efficency than petrol.

Petrol engines are more refined, obviously since petrol is a refined fuel and since it has a higher flash point a petrol engine can be designed to generate more power for the same volume of fuel.

Maintenance wise both petrol and diesel is equivalent, moving parts hence maintenance.

Since a petrol engine runs smoother and ignition is less violent it has a sliver of edge over diesel.

Diesel got a commercial tag in India and hence people view it as a lesser fuel?!!

I don't subscribe to that. Hence you can stop looking at the running mileage factor to decide if you want a diesel or a petrol and look at other tangibles like space, handling, ride, smoothness performance etc etc.if you have to decide between the petrol and diesel Swift your selection critera could be performance incldg FE & cost of fuel other than that there is nothing much to segregate them internally or externally other than some smaller accessories and the likes.

anijog2009-07-01 11:16:19

actually, you are better off with the 120 if you dont even cover 1000km in a month! big hatch, superb looks, hyundai service back up etc.but if you drive more and keep the car for about 4 years or more, then i suggest you go in for the punto diesel. You can never go wrong with the MJD!! Its got great reliability, greay fuel efficiency and a more than decent power delivery! there are more than 1 lakh diesel swifts on the road which have covered more than 40k and still running fine!and plus you can get a top end punto for about 6.5, whereas even a top end i20 would cost close to 6..so the price difference is not all that great!

At 10000km per annum go for the petrol. As for the car price take into account the total ownership experience and cost. Decide how many years you plan to hold the car and then vector in the resale price, annual maintenance cost, etc. For example a car requiring two services a year as against another requiring only one service a year can chnage the equation quite a bit. You may find the situation quite different from just looking at the sticker price. I am not taking into account things like image, etc. which are very difficult to calculate.

Sorry to bring up an old topic into picture now. But even then i really dont understand about the comparison of petrol or diesel cars calculations and suggestions given by the members.Let me say some calculations. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Petrol car

(As the  topic starter said his average running is 10000kms per month.)

Actual running cost 10000kms/average mileage 14kmpl(as of swift petrol,, approx)10000/14=715 ltrs Cost of which is 715ltrs @ 50.66 (petrol rate in bangalore)=36,222/-

Deisel car running cost

10000kms/19kmpl(as of swiftdiesel,, approx)527 ltrs Cost of which is 527 @ 37.5 (diesell rate in bangalore)=19,763/-

savings in cost36222-19763=16459(benefit in owing a diesel car)

Against which the Additional pumping of Rs.100,000 diesel engine cost's interest forgone @ 8% pa. (100,000*8%)=8000 and additional depreciation lost on car 100,000*10%=10000.Total implied costs amounts to 18000 against which the benfit of 16459 is set off and just a negative of 1541 arises. No one is just gonna run the car for 10,000 kms in life time and if at all the depreciation factor is not given much importance for those who don't have an idea to sell the car down the lane for 8-10 years the depreciation factor being an implied factor if avoided , will defnitly amount to the car owner always a benefit from owning a disesel car.

This is just my view. please correct me if i am wrong!!!

Actually this Petrol/Diesel is all about mind set.

No body cares how much initially the car costs initially, but after buying one, one will compare the cost, i.e., Say your fav weekend spot is some 200kms away. so variable cost is Rs 800 (if Diesel) and Rs 1600(if petrol).

So if you see a difference of about Rs.1000 , you tend not to frequent such spots. So if you want to enjoy life, it has to be Diesel (again mind set speaks)

Driving comfort/Refinement is much better in a petrol than a diesel. 

With so much of improvement in Diesel technology, you need to remove the MUCH word from your post sir.
creativebala2009-11-02 17:11:45

I personally prefer to judge how meny rupees per kms do i save driving a diesel compared to a petrol.

Lets say running a diesel costs 2.5rs/km and running a petrol costs 4 rs which means you end up saving about 1.5rs per km.

If the Diesel costed about 90,000 more than the petrol then, you recover your money after about 90,000/1.5 = 60,000 kms.

Anything after that would be savings. (hypothetical figures)

My family's cars dont run more than 15,000 kms a year and we hardly ever keep a car for more than 4 years. So mst of the time we opt for petrol cars and enjoy the refinement and ease of maintainence.

As per your Driving kilometres/year or month or week,Go for the Petrol Engined hatchback,preferrably go for i20 kappa petrol or Punto 1.4 Emotion Variant,they are the best allrounders in the current Premium hatchback segment or else wait for the coming shortly 1.2 L K-series petrol engined Swift...

I personally prefer to judge how meny rupees per kms do i save driving a diesel compared to a petrol.

Lets say running a diesel costs 2.5rs/km and running a petrol costs 4 rs which means you end up saving about 1.5rs per km.

If the Diesel costed about 90' date='000 more than the petrol then, you recover your money after about 90,000/1.5 = 60,000 kms.

My family's cars dont run more than 15,000 kms a year and we hardly ever keep a car for more than 4 years. So mst of the time we opt for petrol cars and enjoy the refinement and ease of maintainence.
[/quote']

How can you just say that when there are so many hidden costs and benefits Please analyse the calculations and reply.

I am also in the confusion of whether to go for a petrol car or diesel car. I did some calculations (find it at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al1kTs5JXlMNdEE2V1BHcUR2Yk5jUVU5bk5xSzV4VVE&hl=en) and arrive at the point that my monthly spending on Punto diesel will be lesser than Punto petrol.

One doubt. I haven't driven a diesel car. I might be in a situation to keep the car parked for couple of months in a strech. During that situation, Is it fine to run the engine at neutral for few minutes everyday to keep the battery carged? Or do the diesel cars need other special attention than petrol ones?

Starting the engine and idling for a few minutes once in 15 days should be fine for the battery to retain the charge. The new generation maintenance free batteries do not discharge easily during long period of rest.

diff between punto 1.3/4 is just 45 kg

haven't been able to evaluate the Punto case as the cars are still new. But I was refering to the tyre wearout of the Tata Indicas compared to the other petrol models like Santro, Zen........

If the Diesel costed about 90' date='000 more than the petrol then, you recover your money after about 90,000/1.5 = 60,000 kms.

[/quote']

How can you just say that when there are so many hidden costs and benefits Please analyse the calculations and reply.

Also consider the higher resale value of a diesel..

[/quote']

Also consider the higher resale value of a diesel..

There are no such hidden costs in petrol cars, that i am sure of. Not sure about diesels though. Plus in a diesel you have to compromise on the ride quality and refinement.

I think major monetary benifits of a diesel can only be reeped if the car is driven for a substantial amount of kms regularly.

I am also in the confusion of whether to go for a petrol car or diesel car. I did some calculations (find it at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al1kTs5JXlMNdEE2V1BHcUR2Yk5jUVU5bk5xSzV4VVE&hl=en) and arrive at the point that my monthly spending on Punto diesel will be lesser than Punto petrol.

One doubt. I haven't driven a diesel car. I might be in a situation to keep the car parked for couple of months in a strech. During that situation' date=' Is it fine to run the engine at neutral for few minutes everyday to keep the battery carged? Or do the diesel cars need other special attention than petrol ones?
[/quote']

The diesel engine have improved a lot.They all are new generation cars. The 1.3MJD engine which works on Dzire,Manza, linea are all performing fantastic and are very reliable, fuel efficient,smooth, refined. When you compare the petrol and diesel engine of Linea, Dzire, Manza and things like that the diesel engine really wins in performance.

As far as battery life is concerned. You can disconnect the Positive/negative (I am not sure whether it is positve or negative) electrode of the battery and just connect when you are using it after a long time when you start the car. This will prevent the loss of battery life and usual loss of energy.

Even then you will have to start the engine atleast once in 10 days be it petrol or diesel.