Durango Dude

Picturesque Kerala!

A visit to Munnar and Kumarakom can have a balmy and healing effect on the urban soul. Here a few pics, from my album, I'd like to share.

View from the restaurant of our resort:

20090705_163550_S60000812.JPG

View of the Western Ghat's from the balcony of our room:

20090705_164011_S60001291.JPG

My son at Echo Point, Munnar:

20090705_164205_S60000922.JPG

Carpet of Tea, Munnar:

20090705_164400_S60001151.JPG

Nilagiri Tahr(protected species of a type of mountain goat), Eravikulam National Park, near Munnar:

20090705_164628_S60001371.JPG

View of the tea gardens below from the Eravikulam National Park, Munnar:

20090705_164805_S60001443.JPG

Swimming pool Backwater Resorts, Kumarakom:

20090705_164952_S60002371.JPG

Son swimming in the pool with Vembanad lake in the backdrop:

In the evening when darkness falls they used to have Mohini Attam and Bharatanatyam performances on the lawn in the backdrop, just what the doc ordered for a good night's rest afterward.

20090705_165147_S60002282.JPG

Son on the hammock with Vembanad lake in the backdrop and houseboat coming in:

20090705_165534_S60002251.JPG

Very nice pictures DD. Really soothing, the picturesque scenery and the green with the cloudy backdrop all around. The tea gardens look very well manicured.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

But your Hyundai is not featured in any picture.

Thank you Anjan and Cyrus. I took the flight to Cochin and proceeded to Munnar and to Kumarakom from there. Munnar has lots of places around to be seen. Whereas Kumarakom is just lounge around eat well and not many places to be seen. Best would be to explore the finely maintained resorts around the Vembanad lake and rent a house boat for a night on the lake. Or one can go to Allepey beach or to Kottayam for some shopping or indulge in some rejuvenation with ayurvedic massage.

Looks great ! I would love to swim near the backwater . You ought to have a good time there just look at the climate . Its tempting whats the name of the resort.

@rssh: Thanks and yes we all had a good time. The resort in Munnar is Chancellor resort's has breathtaking view from the restaurant. At Kumarakom, its the Backwater Ripples resort, very neatly maintained and laid out and have sumptous buffet. Actually, this was our second visit to Munnar, so impressed we were the first time around that we went back another time to soak up the sights and climate.Durango Dude2009-07-06 10:44:24

Nice snaps DD, when was this? That looks like the Club Mahindra Resort in the background in the first photo, is it? Munnar is a great place to relax and unwind and it is really GREEN! Drove down there back in 2003 in my Astra and had a great drive. The Kerala section of the ghats had brilliant flat roads.

@Subzero: Yes, that's the Club Mahindra in the yonder, in the first snap. These snaps are from Summer of 2007. But they bring back memories, that are as green as ever. Kerala section of the ghats are real twisty. Did you go via Madurai or Ernakulam?

Those views from the Club Mahindra are beautiful, we stayed there during our visit to Munnar and just recognised it immediately. You don't have to go to Madurai, its the same way to Kodai except after Batlagundu when you take the right for Kodai, you need to go further and then take the right to Bodinayakkanur. The TN section of the ghats were a joke, a single lane potholed road. I guess the TN government does not want us to go to Kerala!